The Michigan Supreme Court ruled in favor of rapper Dr. Dre in a case involving a very important legal principle — whether the police have a right to privacy while performing their duties. The state high court said no.

The suit was filed by Gary Brown, now a Detroit City Councilman but formerly a high-ranking police official. He and other officers were videotaped while threatening to shut down a concert featuring Dre and Eminem if they showed a sexually explicit video. The video was then included in a DVD produced about the tour.

The court, in a 6-1 ruling, dismissed the suit, saying that there is no right to privacy for police while on the job. The implications of this ruling are far more important than they may seem initially because it explicitly makes it legal in the state of Michigan to record the police while they perform their duties.

This is incredibly important because cell phone videos of police officers have revealed misconduct, abuse and lying on reports in case after case around the country. But in some states, like Illinois, it is illegal to videotape the police in the performance of their duties.

Michigan now has a clearly established legal right for what has become a crucial watchdog on police misconduct.

http://michiganmessenger.com/47523/michigan-high-court-rules-for-dr-dre
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Does this mean I can search police cars for weapons and drugs without their consent? And thanks Dr. Dre and Michigan, keep fighting the power
Last edited by Fat Lard at May 11, 2011,
Good. I can't believe there are laws prohibiting it.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
The first good thing Dre has ever done
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
That's good. His headphones still suck though.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Next week, Immortal Technique legalises hit-and-run in a highly charged courtroom, like you'll see on those films and TV thingimajizzles.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by 801Current

mother****as act like they forgot about Dre.
Quote by Fat Lard
mother****as act like they forgot about Dre.

This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
sounds good to me, the police have a lot of power, seems only fair that there should be measures in place to make sure they don't abuse it.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Why was there a doctor at the concert?

And isn't it legal to film anyone in public?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Oh, alternate title for this thread:

Dr. Dre: "Fuck tha Police"
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Oh, alternate title for this thead:

Dr. Dre: "**** tha Police"

You spelt popo wrong.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
So it's legal for the police to film someone but not for someone to film the police? Oh, America.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

That's excellent. As much as I respect the police, they need to be observed and held to the same standards as everyone else. It would be stupid to think that they never do anything wrong. It's good to know that it will be easier for the average person to ensure they're properly doing their job.
I don't see how this helps the grand whole of Americans. It seems to me it only makes it so that Michigan citizens benefit. And that's assuming that the ruling even stands.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I don't see how this helps the grand whole of Americans. It seems to me it only makes it so that Michigan citizens benefit. And that's assuming that the ruling even stands.

Yes, but some States already have the same laws in place.

Plus the more places that allow it the more likely someone in a State that doesn't can fight for it. It's easier to convince the court in your State to rule a certain way when many other States already have similar rulings.
Quote by daytripper75
Yes, but some States already have the same laws in place.

Plus the more places that allow it the more likely someone in a State that doesn't can fight for it. It's easier to convince the court in your State to rule a certain way when many other States already have similar rulings.

Yes, but unless you're fighting a court battle over whether you can film the cops or not, it's not like this is gonna help you. If my state doesn't allow me to film the cops, I'm pretty sure I cannot present any film of the cops searching, as a way to prove my side of it. Since most of us don't have the resources to be suing the police department, this only helps Michigan citizens (and obviously the citizens in states that have similar laws).

However, my biggest issue is that it was a court who made this law, not a legislative body. I've never much liked laws being made by proxy because a judge ruled on something. Or even public policy being made that way.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Oh, alternate title for this thread:

Dr. Dre: "Fuck tha Police"

i came in here to say exactly this. but good on dre.
Go Veg.
**** yeah Dre holdin it down for the Constitution
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Ya, obviously only Michigan people benefit, but they are Americans, hence my sensationalist title designed to make you click on the thread stands.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by 801Current

187 on your mother****ing ass
Ibanez AW200 ( Discontinued )
Jackson DKMGT Black
Squire Telecaster Classic Vibe 50's w/ Noiseless Specials
SX Bass ( Vintage Series Custom Hand Made )
-----------------------------
Roland Cube 30x
Peavey Classic 30----Boss RC-2
Quote by 801Current

Nigga you crazy, Dre has done more good than Ghandi
trying to piece his 2 and 2 together
Quote by Zombee
Good. I can't believe there are laws prohibiting it.

This.

If the cops are doing their jobs then they shouldn't be against being video taped
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Well, you know what they say. "Fuck the police."

edit: I'm waiting for the follow-up, "However, Dre was made to pay a heavy fine and do community service for impersonating a doctor."
Last edited by cornmancer at May 11, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa
So it's legal for the police to film someone but not for someone to film the police? Oh, America.

Like your country does it any better.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.