Hey all,

Looks like GAS has been hitting me pretty hard lately. On top of wanting to switch my speakers into a different cabinet, I've come to re-realize what I'm still craving - A truly stellar axe. I'm once again considering selling my explorer, and possibly Jackson or strat to fund a custom build. It's mainly my Jackson that I play anymore, and I'd like to finally upgrade from mid-grade guitars to something truly nice.

Would a Warmoth or USACG be a significant upgrade over a Jackson DK2M? Like more sustain, easier high fret access, and a more solid feel overall? Anyone who's done their own custom build, or has other suggestions, feel free to share your thoughts!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Depends what specs you go for and how good you are at putting a guitar together.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I was thinking of opting for some nice extras if I went to the trouble, such as a contoured neck-body heel, deeper cutaway, real floyd rose, etc.

As far as putting it together goes, don't they typically pre drill and pre route everything for the hardware and electronics? If that's the case, putting it together shouldn't be a problem. Might have a pro do some things though.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus

As far as putting it together goes, don't they typically pre drill and pre route everything for the hardware and electronics? If that's the case, putting it together shouldn't be a problem. Might have a pro do some things though.
Pickup routing, neck pocket, bridge routing/drilling and the control rout is done for you. Drilling for pickguards, mounting rings, pickups, tuners and jacks is left up to you. The most important part though for making a Warmoth or USACG guitar good is how well you bolt the neck on, how you dress the frets and set up the guitar. Basically all their parts come in a pretty 'raw' state, they have CNC machines that rout everything but they don't really finish stuff off by hand, you're not getting an easy kit guitar that you can just slap together in five minutes. It's more like you're getting a guitar that's half finished and it's up to you to do the most tricky and fiddley half.
Hmm. So you're saying even if I get a "finished" neck through them, that it will still need a bit of fretwork? How much damage would I be looking at by having a pro install the neck properly, and do any necessary fret work/set-up stuff? I'm pretty confident in tackling the basic stuff, but I'm no luthier.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

You probably won't need to do fretwork, theirs is, so I've heard, quite decent. The bodies are top notch, I have a soloist body that I need to pick up from my friend (he painted it for me) and it was 2 pieces of quite nice alder.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No, you definitely need to get some work done on the frets. If you order a maple fretboard with a finish then the frets get finish on them too which needs to be taken off. Even if you get a fretboard which doesn't have a finish on it the ends of the frets still need bevelling and rounding off. Warmoth only adds a slight bevel to the fret ends, just enough that it won't cut up your hand when picking the guitar up but during regular play you'll find the frets digging into your skin like crazy and the stainless steel ones in particular have been known to draw blood. You need to get that rounded off. Also unless you have a proper fret dressing, levelling and have the nut cut properly then you'll be stuck with high action, Warmoth necks come with high nuts and they have a nasty habit of not checking the levelling of the frets. Basically Warmoth necks play like Squier necks until you have them looked over, finsihed and set up by a decent tech.

USACG necks apparently are exactly the same kind of deal only they do cut the nut a little lower. The frets are still your biggest problem.