Shocking title to get your attention, though the statement is true. Below is an excerpt from the article.

EDIT: Title fail. Taxpayers', not Taxpayer's

About 60 late-stage alcoholics live at St. Anthony Residence in St. Paul, which is partly funded by the state of Minnesota, and operated by Catholic Charities. It's not a treatment center, although residents have access to counselors.

They're even allowed to drink at St. Anthony -- the alcohol isn't provided, but the men are allowed to bring it to the residence.

The residents receive a monthly check of $89, and most of it goes to alcohol. "We can use that cash on anything we want to do," resident Ray Spoor says, matter-of-factly. "And I don't only use it on alcohol, I use it on personal needs like toiletries ... but after that, I use it on booze."

A University of Washington-led research team studied a group of 95 chronically homeless alcoholics and found that in one year, they cost taxpayers more than $8 million in hospitalizations, detox center treatments and incarcerations.

When the same group spent one year in Seattle's Housing First program -- residences where they are allowed to drink -- the same group cost $4 million in taxpayer money, according to the study, which was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Source.

Each St. Anthony's resident costs about $18,000 a year to house and feed, about $1,500 a month.

A study in the Journal of the American Medical Association indicates that if these men were out on the street, it could cost over $4,000 a month in incarceration, shelter and sobering center use, hospital-based medical services, publicly funded alcohol and drug detoxification and treatment, and emergency medical services.

Source. Emphasis added by me.

TL;DR: "Wet-houses" are state-funded residences for late stage alcoholics, who are allowed to drink in the house, and are not required to receive treatment for their addiction. Multiple studies have demonstrated that this saves significant (50% or more) amounts of taxpayer dollars v.s. other methods of dealing with homeless alcoholics.

So, Pit, what are your thoughts on these "wet-houses?"

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at May 11, 2011,
as bad as it sounds it makes sense. If it saves money then why not.
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
You are talking about $89 a month.

Wet houses are the only refuge for a group completely alienated by society.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by longneckdude
as bad as it sounds it makes sense. If it saves money then why not.

i think i heard something a while ago about some rehab centers in holland letting alcoholics get a little bit of beer every day and apparently it was working, but yeah, this does seem like a sensible thing to do.
Go Veg.
Quote by Doobergn
Bums make me sick.

Yes, poverty should be considered a mental illness. These underclasses have no businesses existing around the rich and privileged, when i pass a homeless man on the street i make sure i swear at them loudly and occasionally hit them with my walking cane if they get too out of line. This story made me so enraged that i almost dropped my monocle in my top hat.
Regardless of the financial advantages, are wet-houses violating some sort of ethical calling/mandate by enabling addicts essentially free access to their addiciton?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Seems logical - what would you rather pay? 8 million quid or 4 million quid? Pretty sure there'll be some butthurt people going "we shouldn't have to pay anything", but there's not yet been a plan to effectively make that possible.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Yes, poverty should be considered a mental illness. These underclasses have no businesses existing around the rich and privileged, when i pass a homeless man on the street i make sure i swear at them loudly and occasionally hit them with my walking cane if they get too out of line. This story made me so enraged that i almost dropped my monocle in my top hat.

Witty comment is witty. Not.

I say if it saves money sure thing.
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
People are watching the $ signs instead of the actual problem. THEY ARE HOMELESS! What else are they gonna buy? Instead of bitching about how they waste your money how about you spend the money on getting them on their feet so you don't have to support them anymore?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
People are watching the $ signs instead of the actual problem. THEY ARE HOMELESS! What else are they gonna buy? Instead of bitching about how they waste your money how about you spend the money on getting them on their feet so you don't have to support them anymore?

You will be wasting your money twice. Plus you will be letdown when they revert back to their old ways.
Sounds like the legalized heroin idea in Canada and Switzerland I learned about ten minutes ago. I'd definatley be down to chill at this place and get paid.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Last edited by 801Current at May 11, 2011,