Canadians: Would you waive your own free medical care for lower taxes?

Poll: ?
Poll Options
View poll results: ?
Yes, I would.
4 1%
No, I would not.
117 33%
If I was Canadian, I would.
26 7%
If I was Canadian, I would not.
209 59%
Voters: 356.
Page 1 of 5
I always see Americans on the internet mock Canada for having such high taxes, and that thread about the medical bill got me to thinking. As a Canadian, would you waive your own free medical care in exchange for lower taxes?

Personally, I wouldn't. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the taxes are all that bad and even if they are, they're certainly worth it.

What about you?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I'm American, but I would instantly pay a little more taxes for an NHS type thing.
How high are the taxes over there?
Over here, I know I wouldn't give up our free health care for lower taxes.
You should make this directed at people from any country with an NHS type thing.
no
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by robhc
Just wait until you need surgery and die while waiting for it...

The most ironic thing about Canadian medicine is that all the Richer Canadians come over the border to get healthcare. I mean, if theirs is so great, why don't they use it? They can afford to pay more for better healthcare, so they do.
Of course, if President Obama has his way, that may not be true in the long run.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The most ironic thing about Canadian medicine is that all the Richer Canadians come over the border to get healthcare. I mean, if theirs is so great, why don't they use it? They can afford to pay more for better healthcare, so they do.
Of course, if President Obama has his way, that may not be true in the long run.

I'm probably a "richer canadian" and no, i don't go across the border to get health care.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Oh dear god quit getting your political opinions from corn fields.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
as private healthcare is suited to the rich, and nationalised healthcare is suited to poorer people

I wouldn't change the NHS for lower taxes, though the tories are going to ruin it and keep taxes the same
Coventry City Chicago Bears
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You do realize that Obamacare is basically a healthcare providers dream come true, right?
Quote by robhc

This.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Aww, hell no I wouldn't. We're paying less in taxes than ever before for a system that's accessible to everyone.
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
Not Canadian but... no. I wouldn't have more money, I'd just be buying private insurance instead of paying the extra taxes.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
If I lived in Canada no, and I wouldn't mind the rich having to pay more taxes for Universal Healthcare in America.
Last edited by CannedBullets at May 11, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Just wait until you need surgery and die because you can't afford it...

stratkat
^pwnt

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

oh so out of 33mil the what, ten thousand that go down south for health care means none of us use it?

stop smoking so much reefer

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Irish, we have a similar system, and no.

My mother had to go for a scan recently to check for cancer due to an issue she'd had. It wasn't urgent or anything, the chances of her having anything were rather slim (and in the end it's turned out it was just the ulcer that she suffers from acting up again).
Anyway, she went to the hospital to get the scan, but she had read the date wrong and as a result was a week early. The hospital still took her only ten minutes later than anticipated, despite the fact that her appointment wasn't for a week.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If I was Canadian, **** no I wouldn't. Universal healthcare is cheaper in the long run because people don't wait until the absolute last minute to seek treatment for their problems due to money concerns.
Anyone who says yes is trollin. Who would sacrifice that?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
British, I would never get rid of the NHS. Universal healthcare is the only way to ensure healthcare for all, which is one of the most basic human rights, IMO.
Quote by blackflag49
If I was Canadian, **** no I wouldn't. Universal healthcare is cheaper in the long run because people don't wait until the absolute last minute to seek treatment for their problems due to money concerns.

Yep. Publicly funded ends up being cheaper over all. In Ireland even our Right Wing majority partner in government wants to reform our GP care in order to make it free for everyone to access (currently GPs operate privately, anyone not poor enough to qualify for free care pays them out of their own pocket), as it makes healthcare in general far cheaper due to people catching illnesses earlier.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by robhc

Depends on how much people make. The more money you make, the more you get taxed. IIRC, it's somewhere between 20% and 30%.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
nope, and I don't care how high our taxes are, I'd be in favor of a tax raise if it meant improvement in public programs.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
Oh dear god quit getting your political opinions from corn fields.
Before your ignorance hurts you...allow me to justify my statement.

A few years ago, my father (who is a psychiatrist) had us all living in upstate New York, about 30min from the Canadian border by car. Now, guess what? He worked in conjunction with various hospitals in the area, because well...when someone needs to be checked into a mental health ward, it helps to know the hospital you're putting them into. Many patients at those hospitals were Canadians. Why? Because, if it's between waiting 6months for a surgery or getting it now, they'd rather have it now.

But hey...guess I don't know what I'm talking about, cuz I get my politics from the corn fields. It's not political; it's a fact.

And no, obviously, this doesn't mean ALL rich Canadians use American healthcare. It just means that some near the area we've lived obviously did.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2011,
Quote by bass-man9712
Anyone who says yes is trollin. Who would sacrifice that?

As much as I support healthcare I don't think it's reasonable to say it's for everyone. Some people will always have the "it's my money i do wat i wannt"
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You are either an uninformed, knuckle dragging buffoon or an awfully unintelligent troll. Take your pick, either way you are still a monumentally stupid dumbass.

No, I wouldn't, and neither would the vast majority of Canadians. There's a reason Tommy Douglas was voted the greatest Canadian during that CBC series a few years back.
^Me and thrash directly agreeing on something, what has the word come to

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

A few years ago, my father (who is a psychiatrist) had us all living in upstate New York, about 30min from the Canadian border by car. Now, guess what? He worked in conjunction with various hospitals in the area, because well...when someone needs to be checked into a mental health ward, it helps to know the hospital you're putting them into. Many patients at those hospitals were Canadians. Why? Because, if it's between waiting 6months for a surgery or getting it now, they'd rather have it now.

But hey...guess I don't know what I'm talking about, cuz I get my politics from the corn fields. It's not political; it's a fact.

And no, obviously, this doesn't mean ALL rich Canadians use American healthcare. It just means that some near the area we've lived obviously did.

one second he was a psychiatrist (which isnt covered in canada anyway) but somehow there are canadians in the mental ward, the next he is doing surgery and thats why the canadians are down south

so which is it?

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at May 11, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

And no, obviously, this doesn't mean ALL rich Canadians use American healthcare. It just means that some obviously did.

And there's no problem with that. The purpose of universal health care is not to limit the amount of care you can get. If they want to go to America then more power to them. In Ireland you can get private healthcare in private hospitals if you want, no-one will stop you, it's the same in pretty much every country with a public healthcare system.

The idea of the public healthcare system is to ensure that every citizen, regardless of income, receives healthcare, and as has been shown again and again that standard is generally very high (and due to various externalities the general public health improves massively also). It is simply protecting the rights of the people to healthcare. If you can afford to go to a private hospital in your own country, or one in the US, then go ahead.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by JimmyBanks6
^Me and thrash directly agreeing on something, what has the word come to

Canada as a whole unites in our love for public healthcare.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Canada as a whole unites in our love for public healthcare.

lol yep very true

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Looking at actual statistics, rather than unprovable, biased, annecdotal, contradictory nothing statements, your statement is just plain wrong. It is rhetoric from a propaganda campaign back when Obama tried to institute some disfigured, unlovable step child of public health care in America. The same rhetoric you are spewing was shut down by Jack Layton (current leader of the party which championed Canadian healthcare) on mainstream American news in under 5 minutes. Completely and totally shut down. The facts and statistics completely contradict everything you've spewed. I'm not even going to bother providing you with the statistics as it is a simple google search away, although I probably should because judging by your two posts assuming you can execute the aforementioned search is being pretty generous.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
It is rhetoric from a propaganda campaign back when Obama tried to institute some disfigured, unlovable step child of public health care in America.

Tbh, it's generous to even refer to the Obamacare as that :p
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You are either an uninformed, knuckle dragging buffoon or an awfully unintelligent troll. Take your pick, either way you are still a monumentally stupid dumbass.

No, I wouldn't, and neither would the vast majority of Canadians. There's a reason Tommy Douglas was voted the greatest Canadian during that CBC series a few years back.

Even if he is uninformed, this is where a polite conversation is destroyed. Your dialogue puts you in the wrong.
Quote by dylanfromearth
Even if he is uninformed, this is where a polite conversation is destroyed. Your dialogue puts you in the wrong.

You sound like a rotten Canadian. We don't like your kind around here, do we fellow British and American folk?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Give me the facts and figures. Or were you too busy insulting me to engage in intelligent dialogue?

Quote by Thrashtastic15
Looking at actual statistics, rather than unprovable, biased, annecdotal, contradictory nothing statements, your statement is just plain wrong. It is rhetoric from a propaganda campaign back when Obama tried to institute some disfigured, unlovable step child of public health care in America. The same rhetoric you are spewing was shut down by Jack Layton (current leader of the party which championed Canadian healthcare) on mainstream American news in under 5 minutes. Completely and totally shut down. The facts and statistics completely contradict everything you've spewed. I'm not even going to bother providing you with the statistics as it is a simple google search away, although I probably should because judging by your two posts assuming you can execute the aforementioned search is being pretty generous.
Here we go with the "you're wrong". Except what you fail to deduce is that there's a reason American healthcare is the best in the world. Oh, yes...you pay so much for it. However, the reasoning for that is because 1) malpractice insurance; doctors and hospitals cannot afford to be sued any more than anyone else. Unfortunately, people suing the medical business is as common as eating a sandwich it seems. AND 2) government regulation; for instance, the Obama healthcare law drove health insurance through the roof. All of that notwithstanding, I'd rather pay more for better healthcare than have the taxes of all pay for a system which is inferior.

See, it's funny. Everyone who likes their NHS loves to say that the American healthcare system is terrible, because it costs so much. However, they always gloss over the fact that that system has been the best in the world for quite a long time.

There must be something to it, at the least. Ask your British friends. They have both NHS and private sector care now.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at May 11, 2011,
Page 1 of 5