Hi guys,

I decided it was finally time to get rid of my crappy line 6 15w practice amp and get myself some killer amp heads..

I play mostly thrash metal (i.e. exodus, megadeth, forbidden, bonded by blood, etc)

I'm considering ENGL Blackmore or Marshall JCM900/4100 head...

Which one has a better tone for my genre?

Please help me out here!

Thank you,
tnekf94

p.s. please limit the decision-making to the 2 choices listed above... please do not give me other suggestions, as I am only considering 1 of the 2.
Engl.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so you are all saying engl blackmore is able to achieve thrash metal sounds?
**** yes.

Its able to create some brutal tones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
what makes the engl blackmore more advantageous than the marshall jcm900?

and i'm guessing you all tried/owned it xD
what do you love about your blackmore?
the jcm900 is the shit one for a start unless your planning on buying the jcm900slx.

i owned an ENGL steve morse ( which depending on who you ask is one of the top end ENGLS ) I loved the build quality, tone and just overall awesomeness that is a good ENGL amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The 4100 is a good punk amp with fairly decent cleans, apart from that it's a terrible amp. Probably the worst flagship model Marshall ever produced. It's not even really a valve amp, it has 15 op amps and 9 diodes in the signal path.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys! I'll probably settle for an ENGL
i'll try both of em out in my local music store

funny how exodus used modded jcm900 for their fabulous disaster album :P
If you go ENGL, you wont be settling.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by tnekf94
so you are all saying engl blackmore is able to achieve thrash metal sounds?

Nope, they're all saying Engl, but conveniently all leaving out, "even though it won't work for the tones you want."

EDIT: seriously, though, I haven't tried the marshall (though from what I've heard the 900 isn't that great, partly solid state and all that apart from the slx model), but the blackmore is great. It's my favourite cheaper engl by some margin, and it's pretty much exactly aimed at the tones you want, it's like engl's take on a hot-rod marshall type of tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2011,
I would go engl, every Marshall, and i mean every (including high end) sounded really bad when i played it, but when i got my engl i got that brutal tone and everything you ever need.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
I've actually owned a Blackmore, JCM900 Dual Reverb and JCM900 Mark III
I wish I still had the Blackmore, the JCM900 never impressed me; you might want to look into the JCM800 if you want good Marshall tones.

Engl will do any type of metal well, the Blackmore is a 2 channel / 2 mode amp, you'll be sure to find a satisfying thrash tone with it.
Last edited by Business at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nope, they're all saying Engl, but conveniently all leaving out, "even though it won't work for the tones you want."

it's a vs thread, and we were told not to recommend any other amps.

going off that...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The only jcm900 the majority of people should be looking at is the slx
which is supposed to be pretty nice for thrash actually
but still
ENGL out of those two
it will be awesome!
Quote by gregs1020

going off that...

Oh my bad...In that case it should be a no brainer. Engl Blackmore all day
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by gregs1020

going off that...

i was just being sarcastic I think the engl will work well for the tones he wants (the first two bands anyway, never heard of the second two )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Blackmore is everything the Marshall wished it could be with high gain tones.
/rig
Quote by tnekf94
what makes the engl blackmore more advantageous than the marshall jcm900?

and i'm guessing you all tried/owned it xD
what do you love about your blackmore?

For one thing, the blackmore is based off the Savage, which Exodus and Bonded by Blood use. Since you listed them as your influences, that should carry some weight. For another, the blackmore is awesome. For a third thing, the 900 sucks and is only good for punk.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at May 12, 2011,
alrighty guys, thank you SO MUCH for you opinions D
i will probably buy the blackmore then... any suggestions for a cab?
^4x12 or 2x12?

Pretty much anything with Celestion V30s. Just stay away from any 4x12 cabinet under $300.

Also, seeing that this is your first tube head, you will also need to buy guitar speaker cables. These differ from standard guitar cables in the way that they are thicker and are made for carrying more power.

I must also say that this is really an intense upgrade. Going from a kid's practice amp to a high-end boutique half stack.
why yes... that is true
im playing more gigs now and i realized my 15w cant cope with anything...
besides... i made some money off the gigs... time to get a new gear!!!