Hello all, I recently got a decent strat and was messing around with the whammy bar and saw how people get harmonics with the whammy by dropping the strings, getting the harmonic and then bringing the bar back up to make it scream. My question is, I'm trying to do this with a Strat with a typical Fender tremolo with a fuzz factory (my gainiest pedal) and a Vox AC15. I know these aren't the most popular tools for whammy bar harmonics, but I'm trying to incorporate the screams into my blues playing.

Anyways, my real question is that I've never done whammy bar harmonics and I'm still learning, and so I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's because of my gear. Is it possible to casually get these screams with my equipment (and I'm just doing the technique wrong) or am I doing it right (and it's just not possible with my stuff; I understand that a high gain amp and all that stuff would make it easier).

Also, is there preferred string gauge and pickup selection for this (bridge/neck, singlecoil vs humbucker), and is fuzz ok for this or is there another type of distortion? Again, I'm not trying to play metal, just trying to use the screams in more aggressive blues. Thanks!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Not going to happen, standard strat trems just don't have the range of motion for it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
aw =( oh well i tried

edit: actually I tried some more trying to get the harmonic at different areas and angling the claw on the trem system to give me more slack on the lower stings and I can get a decent whammy hamonic for what I want to do (considering the amount of gain I'm working with); thanks anyways!
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Last edited by cheeekens at May 12, 2011,
Well, you won't be able to bring the note up in pitch, but you can definitely dive and then bring it back up to pitch.

The main thing is to hit the harmonics accurately, the whammy part's easy.
actually if you float the bridge by setting the tension right, you can pull up the note a bit... I have my open G going up to a Bb... more is possible I think, but at the risk of detuning... I'll see if I can post a video of it when I get home from lab =)

yeah getting the harmonics right is the beezie... took me a while... when I do the vid, I'm sure it's going to take me a few tries as i'm still learning to do it... it'll be more of a "proof-of-concept" type vid
Last edited by cheeekens at May 12, 2011,