a pick(mandatory), stainless strings (optional), mids boosted (absolute mandatory)

After thinking of Steve Harris; the pick is optional. Low action would help as new nickel strings.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at May 11, 2011,
Quote by Bobfred75
So, Nickel Stainless Steel Strings, Mids Up? what about Bass + Treble?

I think he means EITHER Nickel or Stainless, take your normal amp setting, and just keep the mids up.

/notabassplayerbutstilltryingtohelp
Op, what did you percieve the timbre to be of the Ax7 bassline? If it's a bit baffling; keep listening and certainly listen to different genres. The Ax7 tone was really cutting thru the mix. That means the mids are boosted (bass and treble at 12 o' clock). You'll have to experiment a little to get the sound using your amp and effects or lack of. Fresh nickel strings will work. Stainless strings will work too, but they are not the same type of string.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Hey dude,

It'll also depend a bit on your bass.

The A7X bassist uses a MM Stingray HH. Their tones are preeeetty specific, so it may be a lil' tricky if you have a more common P or J type bass.

That said... strings don't matter THAT much... i could get that tone on tape-wounds (/kindasarcasm).

It'll be more in the EQ... totally boost the mids. bump the bass just a smidge higher than the trebble... the big thing will be WHERE you play. So with that EQing, try different possitions, though i'd wager it'll be closer to the neck than the bridge.

Good luck!!

If you tell us the Bass/Amp you're using, we could help even more.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
loinmute is pretty much dead on. He is playing with a pick. I think they sound like stainless strings - I used to use them. They have a different ring to them. As far as eq settings, here's what I'm hearing: treb - even, mid - up some, bass - down. The eq settings are based upon how my rig sounds. I've got my eq setup somewhere between mid-80s Steve Harris and Justin Chancellor. Your's may vary slightly.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at May 12, 2011,
Johnny Christ's rig typically consists of a Musicman Stingray, with SD Pup's, Ernie Ball 2831 Power Slinky Bass Strings, played through a Gallien Krueger 2001 RB Head with a Gallien Krueger 410RBH Cab. God bless the internet, eh

It will be hard to match his tone perfectly without using the exact same rig. But after that it all comes down to his EQing which everyone else has pretty much nailed. Bump the mids, cut the bass a hair, 12 O'clock on the treb, and that should get you pretty close.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at May 12, 2011,
I have a Squier MB-5 Bass (lookin' to get a new one soon) through a Kustom Tuck And Roll 200 and a ESR (Earth Sound Research) 2x15
Come to think of it......how could I change the mids? It only has a Bass, Treble, and Volume knobs, with a little 'Bright" switch
Quote by Bobfred75
Come to think of it......how could I change the mids? It only has a Bass, Treble, and Volume knobs, with a little 'Bright" switch

Definitely turn that bright switch on.

Low action on the strings gets you that high end "grrrness".
I just made that word up but I'm sure you know what I mean.
What is mind? no matter. What is matter? Never mind.
Last edited by Ponyy at May 12, 2011,