so this thread is about different les paul guitars, first off, recently i had the chance to play a les paul custom and it played perfectly, it practically played itself. but thats a 4300$ guitar, so my question is that will a les paul standard feel similar to a custom? its expected for the custom to be slightly better quality, but i mean they should feel very similar,, right?

secondly about a carvin cs6, is it more similar to a gibson les paul or esp eclipse in terms of body and neck size? and how are stok carvin pickups? should they be replaced?
A decent Standard will be pretty close to a custom, feel wise. The neck may be a little different but there are enough Standard models and enough variation between guitars that you should be able to find one with a neck you like.

The CS6 isn't that close to either guitar, really. The body size is closer to the LP than the Eclipse but between the longer scale length, string-thru, and the neck, which is smaller than most LPs', it is a very different guitar. The Carvin is a good guitar but I would not replace a Les Paul with one, nor would I replace the Carvin with a LP. They've got similarities but to me the Eclipse and LP are more similar to each other than the Carvin is to either.

Carvin pickups are not very good. If you get a Carvin you should be prepared to change them.
Not sure why Carvin pickups get so much hate. I have the standard C22 pickups on mine, and I think they sound fine. In fact, I like them better than the stock pups on my Gibson LP studio.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Carvin's necks are pretty middle of the road... I wouldn't describe it as thick OR thin. You should be able to choose your bridge type on the Carvin, as well (if you want a stop tail, wilk, floyd etc).

I don't mind the C22s that came with mine, either. The thing about Carvin pickups definitely seems to be one of those things where its something people say a lot on the internet... maybe it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (people not liking them before they even hear them)? Beats me... I wouldn't guarantee you will like / hate them, but I do think they get a bad rap on the web.

I can't really speak to the LP Standard stuff... really I think the question would be how much do you want a real Gibson LP, vs. how much do you want to be able to pick and choose every aspect of the guitar (you want stainless frets if you go Carvin, btw, they rule).

Either way I'm sure you'll wind up with a very nice instrument... good luck
Last edited by Oppenheimer at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
so this thread is about different les paul guitars, first off, recently i had the chance to play a les paul custom and it played perfectly, it practically played itself. but thats a 4300$ guitar, so my question is that will a les paul standard feel similar to a custom? its expected for the custom to be slightly better quality, but i mean they should feel very similar,, right?

it depends on what year standard. i don't find the chambered standards to feel very similar to customs honestly. to me the tradionals feel a lot closer, and cost less than a standard.
I read so much bad press about the carvin pickups that I was pretty much set to replace them before I even played the guitar. It got delivered, I plugged it in, and I have no problems with them. I think they sound pretty good.

Not trying to sound like a Carvin fanboy here, but after getting my CT624 it beats my Gibson hands down. If you take whatever money you were gonna spend on a Gibson, I guarantee you'll get much more guitar for your money with Carvin.

Don't get me wrong, Gibsons are great.... But like I said, my Carvin blows my Gibson away. Maybe I got the worst Gibson ever made and the best Carvin ever made, but I really haven't ever heard anyone say anything negative about Carvin other than the pickups.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I read so much bad press about the carvin pickups that I was pretty much set to replace them before I even played the guitar. It got delivered, I plugged it in, and I have no problems with them. I think they sound pretty good.

I think it's that the pickups are not up to the standard set by the rest of the guitar. They're perfectly fine pickups. But the rest of the guitar is a step or two above "perfectly fine." If they came in an Epiphone or an Agile there would probably be a ton of people raving about how great they are. But they're not a let-down by any means; they get the job done.

Other than that I'm mostly going to agree with Roc here. The Carvin's not really a Les Paul alternative or replacement any more than a PRS Singlecut, a Gretsch Jet, a JET Caldera, or a Dean Soltero is. They've all got their distinctions. It's a much more modern sound then a Les Paul. Not processed, but modern.

That said, sound-wise, the question is what do you like about Les Pauls? If you like them because they're thick and sustain for years - the traits that it shares with all the similar guitars - the Carvin would do just fine. If you like them because of the things that make a Les Paul a Les Paul, that make it distinct from all the similar guitars, then stick with Gibson.

In terms of thickness, the neck on my CS is thin, but not too thin. If you're comfortable on the thinner Les Paul necks you'll be comfortable on the Carvin neck.
Last edited by Flying Couch at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Flying Couch
That said, sound-wise, the question is what do you like about Les Pauls? If you like them because they're thick and sustain for years - the traits that it shares with all the similar guitars - the Carvin would do just fine. If you like them because of the things that make a Les Paul a Les Paul, that make it distinct from all the similar guitars, then stick with Gibson.

well its not anything in particular that i loved about the custom soundwise, for me the guitar felt perfect sitting in my lap, the body was the perfect size, the neck was awesome, just everythiing about the guitar felt right. it had emgs in it so theres not too much to say about the sound, but im pretty sure i prefer the stock 490/498 set over emg 81/85, from what ive played on other guitars.

i asked if the standard and the custom feel similar, because if i can achieve the same feel with a very similar sound then it might be worth it to save on a coupole thousand and skip out on a few minor things.