Hi everyone. I've been looking for a new metal guitar and I just recently tried a few out. But I have noticed something.

I have small hands (I'm a girl) and I tried out a few guitars today such as the Ibanez RG and Kramer models but the necks were really too wide for me, especially at the higher frets. I currently use a Fender Squire and I can wrap my hands around the neck fine. What should I be looking for when trying out guitar necks? Do you need to be able to at least wrap your hands around the whole neck? I need to solve this issue because of my small hands. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Kingdommetal at May 11, 2011,
Quote by Kingdommetal
Hi everyone. I've been looking for a new metal guitar and I just recently tried a few out. But I have noticed something.

I have small hands (I'm a girl) and I tried out a few guitars today such as the Ibanez RG and Kramer models but the necks were really too wide for me, especially at the higher frets. I currently use a Fender Squire and I can wrap my hands around the neck fine. What should I be looking for when trying out guitar necks? Do you need to be able to at least wrap your hands around the whole neck? I need to solve this issue because of my small hands. Any help is appreciated.

Metal shredder axes generally have wide flat neck profiles. I'm not sure what you mean by wrap you're hands around the neck. If I understand what you're saying you think you need to "monkey grip" AKA wrap your fingers around the neck?

You really don't need to monkey grip the neck on the higher frets or anytime for that matter...

This might help

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=Ultimate+Guide+to+Guitar&w=columns

I have small hands and love the Wizard and Prestige necks found Ibanez RG and S series.

For what it's worth you might want to try a Jackson they're basially thin and wide necks like and are similar to the Wizard II
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
@Willowthewitch,

Yeah, you're right. I think it's called a Monkey Grip. I've only been playing for 15 months, so I'm new to trying out metal axes. I know I don't really need to Monkey grip on the higher frets, but it would be more comfortable for my hands. But I see your point. I also tried a Flying V Kramer and it was not as wide for my hands, it fit them better. I will look into the Jackson's too.
Quote by Kingdommetal

(a) I have small hands (I'm a girl) and (b) I tried out a few guitars today such as the Ibanez RG and Kramer models but the necks were really too wide for me, especially at the higher frets. I currently use a Fender Squire and I can wrap my hands around the neck fine. What should I be looking for when trying out guitar necks? Do you need to be able to at least wrap your hands around the whole neck? I need to solve this issue because of my small hands. Any help is appreciated.

(a) + 40 billion profile views

(b) yeah ibanez have fairly wide nuts... 43mm/1 11/16". If that's too wide, look for something narrower, 42mm or 41mm (1 5/8") is narrower.

The bridge also affects the width of the fretboard, vintage-style fenders are narrower at the bridge (and also narrower at the nut), though they aren't really the kind of guitars you'd be looking at for br00talz.

Modern Fenders are wider at the bridge, and gibsons are sorta in-between.

Bear in mind it's not just the nut/neck width that will affect how big it feels- the fretboard radius (bigger means a flatter fretboard, less curved, which can feel wider), and also the neck profile (ibanezes are very flat around the back) will affect things too.

But yeah as a general place to start, try looking at guitars with 1 5/8" or 41/42mm nut widths, not gigantic fretboard radii (12" or less) and maybe a c-shaped neck profile?

Most manufacturers will give some neck details on their websites.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have the same issue, except I am a man born with little girl hands.
I tend to lean more towards the Gibson/prs/ type guitars(not necesarily those brands). They seem to have the right combination of width and thickness for me. The Ibanez Les Paul shaped ones are pretty good if you want everything else that they offer but want a neck that will fit. Pretty much any Epiphone will fit the bill for you too.
I currently use a Cort m600, Gibson Les Paul(60s thin neck), Profile Telecaster, and a Hagstrom Swede. To give you an idea of the range that is out there.
I don't have any problem with the Fender necks either, except the type on the 72 deluxe tele. It's like a tree trunk.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09