I already searched and came up with a lot of helpful info. I just have 1 question.

Ive been practicing to play without anchoring (I used to have a nasty habit of anchoring the side of my hand one the low strings when playing high then on the body when playing on the low strings. Because of this I wasn't able to get a better sound as it was closer to the sound hole of my acoustic.

This has been fixed and now I have a better sound because I can play closer to the sound whole, or anywhere I want. (I also have an electric, and its aided me in using different pickups).

What bad about this is I feel like I can play faster if I can anchor though its probably because I have been playing longer with anchoring. I can play at a decent speed without anchoring but as I increase I have to anchor to keep up. Do other guitarists do this too or when they stick out their fingers when they shred does it just look like anchoring. Heres a random example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbXK_gdUbY

He plays with good technique then when he shredds he kinda sticks out his fingers and look like he anchors. Is he? Do you guys do this too?

Serious answers only. I know music isn't about speed but at the same time thats not excuse to be able to paly fast and be technical.
it's only anchoring if you're applying pressure (and therefore using your muscles for something other than picking, which is why it's inefficient). but plenty of shredders anchor anyway, so i don't think it's absolutely important to avoid anchoring.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I agree with you to a certain extent. Although a lot of people do it, the muscles cause unnecessary tension which can lead to serious problems in your future. I think it really depends on how much force they put with their fingers. I'm sure 90% of whoever will read this thread is certain they want to play for the rest of their lives however those who anchor might not be able to. I just don't want CT or tendonitis or anything else I can easily avoid by not anchoring. Anyways, what do you tend to do?
i don't use my fingers to anchor or touch anything, i just use my palm to keep track of where i am. which is natural when you're muting and palm muting constantly. i feel like i'm playing better without any kind of anchoring, but i just wanted to point out that some people get by even with anchoring.

i think playing in front of a mirror actually helped me a ton. i'm always watching youtube videos where the camera is facing the front of the guitar - watching your picking hand in the mirror gives you the same perspective and makes it easier for you to identify odd things about your movements (based on who you watch).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by phil-82
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbXK_gdUbY

He plays with good technique then when he shredds he kinda sticks out his fingers and look like he anchors. Is he? Do you guys do this too?

He's clearly moving his whole hand including his fingers when he's picking fast, I don't think you actually understand what anchoring is.

Anchoring isn't just touching the guitar when you play, anchoring is touching the guitar so that you have any part of your hand completely fixed such that it causes you extra tension and restricts your range of motion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for your help but I dont remember saying that he anchors... I was simply asking if he was anchoring so chill.
Quote by phil-82
Thanks for your help but I dont remember saying that he anchors... I was simply asking if he was anchoring so chill.

If you knew what anchoring was and weren't under the impression that it was simply touching the guitar there would have been no confusion.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Threads are for discussion and that includes asking questions.

If you knew that and answered the question without being a ****, this whole thing could have been avoided. Not need to treat 'newer' players poorly. Try to lower your ego, it won't help with your playing - even I know that
Quote by phil-82
Threads are for discussion and that includes asking questions.

If you knew that and answered the question without being a ****, this whole thing could have been avoided. Not need to treat 'newer' players poorly. Try to lower your ego, it won't help with your playing - even I know that

I'm not picking a fight or being anything on purpose, you're taking my posts in entirely the wrong way and imposing things onto them that only exist in your mind. I'm telling you things and you're responding in a way that is entirely unwarranted.

But of course my lack of whatever you want to see out of a response instantly means I have an ego and an attitude problem...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Lol, I haven't posted here in ages and the same trivial bullshit is still being discussed.

He doesn't anchor...end of discussion. Many guitarists, myself included, have hands large enough such that a finger, or two, or three, might brush across the pick guard at any one time.

Read the sticky FFS.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.