Is the MIM strat worth $400 more than the squier? I have an Ibanez ART300 and am looking to buy a guitar with single coils because the ART series are mainly metal guitars and it's impossible to get a truly clean sound from that. I was planning on getting a squier bullet but was wondering if I should get a Fender instead??? I know the difference is in the woods, electronics and hardware but is it really worth $400 more???
noooooooooooooooo. Not for me. I'd rather have one of the new Classic Vibe squires. Sold my MIM. I could never get it set up nicely or to sound halfway decent. The new squires play just as good as the MIM. The only dif is the paint job, tuners, and pickups. I like the squire necks better.
I love my MIM, it didnt take much tinkering and its now set up as good as my american select. I also got it used so the 300$ price tag was appealing.
get a used mim for like half the price off ebay
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
get a used mim for like half the price off ebay

Or Craigslist. Used MIM guitars pop up at bargain basement prices all the time because people are moving/need money/hate the ex-boyfriend who left it there/etc. I see at least two a month on the local Craigslist for under $200.
I got my MIM Strat for $230. And it's my best friend. I've never had a guitar so perfectly suited for me before. And MIM Strats are generally pretty cheap.

But it all comes down to each person's preference. Give a few guitars a try and find what speaks to you
Matthew 6:33

Uniting the World, One Bridge at a Time.
Quote by JKHC
Is the MIM strat worth $400 more than the squier? I have an Ibanez ART300 and am looking to buy a guitar with single coils because the ART series are mainly metal guitars and it's impossible to get a truly clean sound from that. I was planning on getting a squier bullet but was wondering if I should get a Fender instead??? I know the difference is in the woods, electronics and hardware but is it really worth $400 more???

What Squier are you getting for $100? Cause, I'm pretty sure the extra $400 buys a shit ton more quality than any $100 Squier.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
What Squier are you getting for $100? Cause, I'm pretty sure the extra $400 buys a shit ton more quality than any $100 Squier.

Paid 85 bucks for my Squier. I set it up to play better than most other guitars I've played.

I don't see why people spend 600, 700 bucks on something that's almost the same as what you get for 100. The Squier and Fender have the same scale length. Depending on what series it is, it might have bad tuner or a bad bridge. And of course you'll want to upgrade the pickups.

Other than that, what difference is there?
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
better woods and construction?
Quote by kangaxxter

I was planning on a squier bullet strat w tremolo. Based on all the reviews the guitar gets out of tune easily.
Christ, a Squier Bullet is nowhere near a MIM Fender Standard in terms of quality, sound, anything. Plus most aftermarket parts won't fit the Bullets so you can't upgrade them really without spending an awful lot more money. Don't bother. At least get a Standard Squier that can be more easily upgraded or a Classic Player or Vintage Modified Squier that is better built right out the box.
bullet squiers are junk. I've had 2 of them. They are aimed at beginners who may not even stick with the guitar. They use crap wood. Mine looks like they took the scraps out of the cutoff bin and glued 100 stips of wood into a guitar body. They have junk tuners. The nut on mine looks like the string slots were filed by a blind man wielding a hacksaw. The pickups pretty much blow. The action is pretty horrible, and it has a couple buzzing frets that are high, so the only way I can stop the buzz is to make the action a mile high.

In short, save your money. The bullet series are crap. I bought my recent bullet intending to gut it, and mod it. a few hundred bucks worth of upgrades later, it still plays like shit, and sits in the corner collecting dust. I put a wilkinson bridge, and better pickups in it. Still hate it. Upgrading a cheapo guitar doesn't always work out.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Paid 85 bucks for my Squier.

Paying $85 is different than buying a Squier worth $85. I purchased a $300 Squier for only $40. That doesn't make it a $40 Squier though.

I was planning on a squier bullet strat w tremolo. Based on all the reviews the guitar gets out of tune easily.

Don't get a Bullet. They are crap. If you had to choose between a Squier Bullet and an Ibanez ART300, the ART300 will always win.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at May 12, 2011,
Since I'm pretty sure of a mim strat now, would you recommend SSS or HSS? I'm leaning towards the SSS because my ibanez has loz humbuckers.

Another suggestion might be color and why you like that color.(arctic white, black or sunburst)
If you already have a guitar with buckers, I'd go SSS.

I'm a huge fan of arctic white. I really want a white strat. I just think they look badass.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I got a black one with a maple neck and changed the pickgaurd to tortoiseshell. Id go HSS, I havent on mine but am thinking of getting a mini humbucker for the bridge position

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.222208647791775.65436.100000079240249&l=9c47739cca
Quote by jpatan
If you already have a guitar with buckers, I'd go SSS.

I'm a huge fan of arctic white. I really want a white strat. I just think they look badass.

That's exactly what I was thinking... White with maple neck
Quote by JKHC
That's exactly what I was thinking... White with maple neck

Hendrix, anyone?

Yeah, MIM is worth it I think. Best bang for your buck in the Strat department, this is coming from an owner of an American strat. Mind you, I bought it before the prices shot up in 2009.

Yes, the MIM is better than the Squier, try HSS and SSS variations and see which one you prefer positions 4 and 5 on. The HSS will be more versatile, the SSS will have a more true-to-the-legends strat vibe, both in looks and in tone.

Good luck.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Craigslist! The NYC Craigslist constantly has at least a handful of MIM Strats for sale at around $300 each. Some guy's been trying for over a month to sell 2 nice MIM Strats there for $350 and they won't sell I guess because so many others are offered for less.
I always kinda seen it as a high end Squire is as good as a low end Fender but Bullet's are literally just beginner guitars. I would go with the Fender in all honesty, I've had two Mexican Fenders and they were both extremely good. My '72 Tele Deluxe plays like a dream!
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
a squire bullet is absolutely terrible. try a higher end squire like the classic vibe.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I'd rather not buy from craigslist or ebay. GC is the only guitar store nearby that sells used. Do you think they could throw in a free setup and accessories if I asked?I would have to get a strap and wallhanger anyway......
Get a Daphne Blue strat. Eric Clapton was playing one an hour ago in Glasgow. I got tickets. For free. Just got phoned up two hours ago by a mate with two tickets for a Clapton gig that had already started, rushed in and caught the second half of Claptons set. Just had to share that with yall. **** yea.
Quote by Hydra150
Get a Daphne Blue strat. Eric Clapton was playing one an hour ago in Glasgow. I got tickets. For free. Just got phoned up two hours ago by a mate with two tickets for a Clapton gig that had already started, rushed in and caught the second half of Claptons set. Just had to share that with yall. **** yea.

And you didn't take me!!!! I wanted to see the strat. You should have taken me along, strictly for research on the guitar. And maybe to listen in............but only for comparing the sound of the strat.

You are very lucky
Indeed I am It was real strange, a mate phoned me up out of the blue with two tickets he got off a friend who didnt want to go for whatever reason, not bad seats either, but the gig had already started like an hour or two before I knew anything about it. Was still awesome, heard a bunch of awesome songs despite missing half of his set. One thing I did learn is that those fender noiseless pickups he was rockin sounded great and that the Hammond Organ player was ****ing amazing.

Also, dont be afraid to use ebay or craiglist, youll get a much better deal than GC can offer you.
I went to a local guitar shop and they had two of them discounted. They were displays and had a few marks on them, not enough to notice unless you are holding it. The sunburst w/ rosewood was $430 and the black w/maple was $390. I am probably going to get one of those. Most likely the sunburst(although it had a a few more marks than the black).

I will probably get it tomorrow or day after. I really hope the sunburst doesn't get sold.