I'm 21 years old and I moved out of my parent's house 2 months ago. I live alone in an apartment with no roomates. I just work right now. It's really nice since I only have two neighbors and they can't hear me play guitar loud. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now, but now im taking it a lot more seriously now. I am going to join or form a band pretty soon after i get some original songs written.

My plan is to stay in my apartment until next spring and then go to university and stay at a dorm with my own bedroom.

However, should I just go to a university, this fall? I went to a university 2 years ago but I ended up dropping out in two months because I was going through some issues. But then I went back to community college and now I have a good GPA. I really want to practice guitar with my amp on several hours a day, but not sure if that's possible living in a dorm, even with a room to myself. But, I probably would meet a lot of friends and girls and can still practice with headphones on or with the amp on occasionally.

I feel like i need a bit more practice until i can play gigs successfully and get paid.

Plus, the college i went to first was more of a commuter campus and I had to share a room with a roommate.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Would it be possible for you to live off campus and attend university?

sure, i could do that, but I probably wouldn't get the same college experience unless i dormed?
Quote by metaldud536
You're 21 and you still have that dream of living off playing gigs?

I'm 21, and I still hold this dream.

...It's slowly dying in the corner, though...
Quote by musicandthewave
sure, i could do that, but I probably wouldn't get the same college experience unless i dormed?

It kinda depends on the college and its little "society." For example, at my school (and I think most big schools) everyone has to live in a dorm their first year, and after that most people try to live off campus in an apartment or house. However, I have friends (at smaller schools mostly) where everyone lives in the dorms all 4 years, or maybe gets an apartment their senior year. I think that also has to do with the fact that there's very few apartments around their school, so it has to do with location. I would say go with the "experience" that is the norm for the school you want to go to.

edit: to answer your original question, I hear a lot of people that didn't go to college, or go to back to college later in life wish they'd gotten it done earlier. So I'd say go earlier than later, why not? Unless its a money thing, where you want to save up some cash before starting, I'd understand that. IDK how many credits you got from community college already, but maybe start up there again and get a few more gen eds that will transfer under your belt? Just another option to save money I guess.

As far as practicing in a dorm, I do occasionally but if you're practicing with an amp on for several hours a day, people are gonna get sick of it real quick. Even if you get a single person room, there are gonna be at least 10 people living within 25 feet of you. I'd go with an apartment if I were you if you wanna be able to practice.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Last edited by ironman45 at May 11, 2011,
Quote by ironman45
It kinda depends on the college and its little "society." For example, at my school (and I think most big schools) everyone has to live in a dorm their first year, and after that most people try to live off campus in an apartment or house. However, I have friends (at smaller schools mostly) where everyone lives in the dorms all 4 years, or maybe gets an apartment their senior year. I think that also has to do with the fact that there's very few apartments around their school, so it has to do with location. I would say go with the "experience" that is the norm for the school you want to go to.

I don't think anybody "has" to live in a dorm anywhere no matter what year. What about the kids who already live like 10 minutes driving distance from your school. Do they have to live on campus too?
Quote by metaldud536
I don't think anybody "has" to live in a dorm anywhere no matter what year. What about the kids who already live like 10 minutes driving distance from your school. Do they have to live on campus too?

I think they make special exceptions, like the one you mentioned, but at least at my school you "have to" live in the dorms as an incoming freshman. Also if you're not a "conventional" freshman you don't have to (aka, like the TS, coming to college a few years after high school, for w/e your personal reason).
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by metaldud536

Some schools have that rule for freshmen
Quote by metaldud536
I see it as a debt if you don't have scholarships.

yeah, and dorms can be kinda expensive. I'm pretty sure they let you live at home if you live really close, at least I hope so cuz a lot of kids from the area go here for college lol. Its a huge school though so I don't really know any "locals" to ask.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

Don't go to college just to go to college. If you want to be a doctor, engineer, lawyer, etc., then you need to go to college to start those professions. If you just want to get a random degree and don't know what you want to do, don't do it.

A better use of your time would be to figure out what you want to do, study a skill and work in that field.
Dont goto College.

(Invalid img)
Sergio 'Checo' Perez 2013 Formula One World Drivers Champion
Quote by farmosh203
Don't go to college just to go to college. If you want to be a doctor, engineer, lawyer, etc., then you need to go to college to start those professions. If you just want to get a random degree and don't know what you want to do, don't do it.

A better use of your time would be to figure out what you want to do, study a skill and work in that field.

Good point to bring up! College isnt always the answer. In fact, I just finished watching a little speech by good ole Mike Rowe that basically said the same thing.
linky
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

Why do you want to go to college? Do you have a burning ambition to obtain a particular skillset/knowledge base?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
Quote by METAL_MAN135
Why do you want to go to college? Do you have a burning ambition to obtain a particular skillset/knowledge base?

At this point I am not completely confident that music alone will get me anywhere career wise. So I want to further my education and get a good job.

Another thing is my social life is kind of sucks, so college will probably help,.