Hi, I recently puchased my first tube amp, a 60w vypyr, and I just had a few questions in regards to taking proper care of it. There's alot of conflicting information on the internet so I was hoping someone who knows for sure could clear this up.

In regards to the standby switch, some say you should leave it on for 2 minutes before and after, others just say before. If anyoen knows taht would be great. Also, if I'm taking say a 20 minute break from playing, would it be better to turn the amp off or put it on standby?

And if I play for about 5-6 hours a week, any idea how long it'll be before I have to replace the tubes?

And any idea how much tubes are?

And can you do it yourself or do you have to get it done?

THank you!
It can be argued that the less you use standby the better. Use it to warm the valves up but there is no real benefit in using it on at switch off and some would argue that you are actually poisoning the cathode by doing so.
At only 5-6 hours per week you should get two or three years out of the output tubes easy. With those you just buy a matched pair and stick 'em in. Nothing else is required.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 12, 2011,
You don't need to wait 2 minutes, 30 seconds is fine. Especially for an amp that only has 2 power tubes.

20 minutes is ideal for standby. You only need to turn it off it you're gone for hours. Even then, you really don't have to. It won't hurt your amp at all, just kill your tubes a little sooner.

Your tubes should last you at least 2 years with that amount of playing. Unless of course they're just borked from the factory (which does happen sometimes).

I believe the Vypyr Tube 60 only has 3 tubes in it, right? Should probably only cost you $60 or so to do a complete retube.

You can do it yourself, though it might be best to watch someone do it, or at least watch a few youtube vids. You'll want to bias it correctly, etc. (not sure if you can bias Vypyrs or not though).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You don't need to wait 2 minutes, 30 seconds is fine. Especially for an amp that only has 2 power tubes.

20 minutes is ideal for standby. You only need to turn it off it you're gone for hours. Even then, you really don't have to. It won't hurt your amp at all, just kill your tubes a little sooner.

Your tubes should last you at least 2 years with that amount of playing. Unless of course they're just borked from the factory (which does happen sometimes).

I believe the Vypyr Tube 60 only has 3 tubes in it, right? Should probably only cost you $60 or so to do a complete retube.

You can do it yourself, though it might be best to watch someone do it, or at least watch a few youtube vids. You'll want to bias it correctly, etc. (not sure if you can bias Vypyrs or not though).

All Peavey amps are set bias, so changing tubes out is very simple, all you do is put the new ones in the exact same way as the old ones. TS you should let them warm up, but it doesn't take very long, ie a minute, and as far as cool down you can just shut off the amp entirely, unless you live in a humid environment then in which case it is better to let the amp sit in standby for a couple mins so that you can avoid the beer can effect on the tubes(Condensation).
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by Cathbard
It can be argued that the less you use standby the better. Use it to warm the valves up but there is no real benefit in using it on at switch off and some would argue that you are actually poisoning the cathode by doing so.
At only 5-6 hours per week you should get two or three years out of the output tubes easy. With those you just buy a matched pair and stick 'em in. Nothing else is required.

+311

Offworld too is correct.

I have the same amp. Cool amp.
I usually give my valveking about 15 seconds to warm up on the standby channel, and when I'm not going to use it within the next 10 minutes, I usually just turn it off. I play my amp about the same amount of time you do every week, and 3 to 4 years sounds about right, the tubes wont blow out, but they will start to sound a bit dull around then.
I power up the amp in standby, grab a guitar off the wall, plug it in, tune it, then switch off standby. No more time is needed.
When powering off, I just stick it in standby (usually while letting a chord ring....for NO other reason than I think it sounds cool), hang the guitar on the wall, and turn the amp off.
If i know i"m gonna be not playing for more than 15 min...I'll often shut the whole thing down...but I have left it run for a 1/2 hour+
I actually forgot to turn my Genz benz off when I went to work one day. it was in standby mode for about 9.5 hours. No problems.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune