No, the title does not mean I'm debating between getting a tube amp or a solid state amp. But rather the volume difference. I have a 100watt Solid State head (Behringer, it's actually pretty decent, shocking I know.) and I'm debating about getting a Blackstar HT-20 head. But I don't know if the Blackstar will be louder than my Behringer, I know it'll be much clearer, that's given, but I don't know if it can pump out the extra juice I'd like. And I'd also like to have something that's a bit smaller, a bit easier to carry around.

Also keep in mind, They're both heads, so I'm not using a 20 watt combo verse a 100watt stack, both would be going through a 200watt Bugera 4x12. Advice?
Excellent. So do you know how this 20watt tuber would hold up to my 100W solid state?
are you talking to yourself?

follow this dude or your thread will turn into a shitstorm
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play983752

edit - and this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at May 12, 2011,
Somebody commented, and then deleted their message. So I guess the answer would be yes. Yes I am.
assuming you are running both throught he same cab a 10 watter will only be about half as loud as a 100 watter

the biggest difference will be the clean head room
you need a new amp dude
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
How much power you need will depend on what you plan to do with it. If you are gigging in relatively large venues and playing loud music, then you need more power than you would for smaller venues. The HT-20 through a good cabinet will probably be loud enough for what you want to do, and you can always mic it through the P.A.

If your band likes to play at deafening volumes and you like the Blackstar, save your money until you can afford a more powerful version of the series. They make the HT-Venue amps as powerful as 100 watts, so you're set. Your best bet is to play the HT-20 through your cabinet (or one similar to it) and see for yourself if it gives you what you want.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Tell us what sounds you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend. Wattage means very little btw. You'll also want to replace that cab as soon as possible, a good cab is just as important as a good amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
follow this dude or your thread will turn into a shitstorm
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play983752]

you like yourself really much, right? xD

on topic: vypyr tube is a goood choice!

i would go read that Dude's sticky thread and edit your OP...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by JTNorquay
Somebody commented, and then deleted their message. So I guess the answer would be yes. Yes I am.

aw man that's hilarious

I think the answer is "maybe". i haven't tried the blackstar (it's not 100% tube, but i think it's probably gonna be as loud as a tube amp as it's tube in the right places, if that makes sense).

headroom would probably be the thing... 20 watts tube is loud but it doesn't normally have a ton of headroom. if you need pristine cleans at volume, maybe get something a little higher in wattage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't really need something with absolutely amazing cleans, I just need a good tight rhythm. Like Austrian Death Machine for example. And the entire reason I'd be going for the HT-20 and not the HT-100 is because of budget. I don't have a joooob. I only have about $500.

I played the Vypyr, and honestly I wasn't a huge fan. Great amp, but not my thing. And yes, I'm also looking for a new cab. In no way at all is this cab going to be my gigging cab for long, but it does the trick for now.
Where are you located? I'll assume "$" means US-Dollars, 500 of which are enough to get a nice high-gain head. You can find a used Peavey 5150/6505 or XXX for that money.

Better yet, look for a used Peavey Ultra. You can get them for under 300 bucks. That'll leave some cash that can go into the cab-fund.

HT20 isn't really that much of a metal amp.
Peavey ultra is a good suggestion...
I'm slightly biased though
but they really are cheap as hell and underrated as hell...

I'm a serial booster with high gain amps if it needs tightening i'll use a boost. The ultra doesnt need that i'll tell you that
Quote by lbj273
you need a new amp dude

You might be the most unhelpful user on GG&A.

TS, I'd recommend going to the nearest GC/large music store and trying out every amp you can get your hands on. Get a good idea of how the majority of tube amps sound when compared to a transistor amplifier, then decide if it's necessary to get a valve amplifier. A 20-30 watt tube amp can get plenty loud, enough to play medium sized venues, especially through the right cab or the PA system. Also, I'd recommend that you look into getting a better cabinet at some point, with better quality speakers than the ones that I'm sure come with the Bugera 4x12.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
You might be the most unhelpful user on GG&A.

TS, I'd recommend going to the nearest GC/large music store and trying out every amp you can get your hands on. Get a good idea of how the majority of tube amps sound when compared to a transistor amplifier, then decide if it's necessary to get a valve amplifier. A 20-30 watt tube amp can get plenty loud, enough to play medium sized venues, especially through the right cab or the PA system. Also, I'd recommend that you look into getting a better cabinet at some point, with better quality speakers than the ones that I'm sure come with the Bugera 4x12.

Yeah bugera cabs are notoriously shit.
Even the bugera militia agrees.
Find out what Austrian Death Machine uses.

For $500 I would buy a used 6505+ or MAYBE a tiny terror if you want less watts.

If your using this for live shows. I would get more than a 20w amp...Also my personal preference always go tube over solid state.

Although I would like the VH-140c for solid state
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 12, 2011,
Quote by maddnotez
Find out what Austrian Death Machine uses.

For $500 I would buy a used 6505+ or MAYBE a tiny terror if you want less watts.

If your using this for live shows. I would get more than a 20w amp...Also my personal preference always go tube over solid state.

Although I would like the VH-140c for solid state

tt can't handle metal without help
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by TheQuailman
It can't handle anything outside of white noise at all if you ask me.

i don't like oranges, but i'm not mean to them
i like peaces more
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Actually, I'm Canadian :P. But thanks for the help anyways. I've heard Peavey Valvekings are absolutely beautiful, but apparently you need a tubescreamer to get a good metal tone out of it. And I honestly think Tiny Terror's are definitely not worth the money, no matter what genre you're playing. and Austrian Death Machine probably uses Mesa's. I don't need to say which Mesa, since all of them are above my budget. And also, since everybody is so helpful here. What would you guys recommend for a good cab? Extremely tight bottom end is all I'm specifically looking for. Thanks guys .
Quote by Tunder250
i don't like oranges, but i'm not mean to them
i like peaces more

I don't like the pulp that comes with oranges
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}