I am little confused between these modelling practice amps, and don't know what to do?
I've heard that mustang is good for clean, but not so good for metal and cube is good for high gain but not so good clean... and the vox is kinda between the two.

I am thinking about 20watts or 40watts in these amps.

Please suggest me out of these three based on value, tone and etc.
and i like to play old and classic rock and metal stuff too!

Thanks!
VT+ easily blows away the other 2.

I absolutely adore my VT20+ and the tones I get from it are ridiculous. I know having a Valve in a Solid-state/modeller is kind of gimmicky but I truly believe it does impart on the tone even if slightly.. it doesnt sound sterile at all as with some non-all-tube amps.

I've got a handful of tones from this amp that have helped me develop "my tone" and I don't really feel like upgrading any time soon until I really get into gigging frequently.

Hands down the best in-doors/practice amp I've ever owned and I'd be reluctant to sell it even if I owned my dream amp, a Deluxe Reverb :p I'd keep this around as a quiet/practice amp when I can't dime the DRRI.
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Quote by WhoDooVooDoo
VT+ easily blows away the other 2.

I absolutely adore my VT20+ and the tones I get from it are ridiculous. I know having a Valve in a Solid-state/modeller is kind of gimmicky but I truly believe it does impart on the tone even if slightly.. it doesnt sound sterile at all as with some non-all-tube amps.

I've got a handful of tones from this amp that have helped me develop "my tone" and I don't really feel like upgrading any time soon until I really get into gigging frequently.

Hands down the best in-doors/practice amp I've ever owned and I'd be reluctant to sell it even if I owned my dream amp, a Deluxe Reverb :p I'd keep this around as a quiet/practice amp when I can't dime the DRRI.

What about the high gain tones on vt20+?
I don't use high gain too much but it has a ton of nice high gain settings you can dial in, the UK Rock and UK Metal amps are awesome but it also has US Hi-gain and other amps too.
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Vox - one of the best modellers under $St0op1Dmunneeez I have ever heard.

I have an AD30VT, the high gains are pretty decent and usuable (unlike some of the competition - Spider, here's looking at you) and I use for recording demos on GarageBand, which saves the hassle of setting up my complete rig in the spare room at home.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
As far as potential is concerned, the Mustang wins. It is much more configurable than the other amps. All the amp models and effects are adjustable, and there are also controls for the noise gate, sag and bias. But, for some of these configurations you will need to use the Fender Fuse software. So if you don't like to hook your amp up to your pc or laptop to get better sounds, this might not be your thing.

I would opt for the Mustang III. It is more expensive and has a lot more power than you would need (100 Watts to be exact), but everything can be adjusted on the amp itself through an LCD screen.

The Mustangs do respond pretty well to guitar volume, so it will feel a bit like a proper tube amp, even though it's all solid state. Just don't trust the presets, this amp will sound a lot better with some tweaking. If you have the patience for that and don't mind using a computer, it will definitely be better than the other modeling combo's at a similar price.
Last edited by Minimum92 at May 12, 2011,
As far as quick gratification, the vt+ series is pretty decent. They've fixed a lot of the mud in the distortion department that previous models had and the cleans and blues and medium gain rock are still good if not better than before. You'll really have to tweak the pedal+amp model configurations on the amp when choosing the modeled pedals they put on there, but it's still nice. I've only played on the VT80+ and the VT120+ though. I'm not sure about the 20 or 40.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
On the VT20+ I steer clear of all of the effects save for the reverbs. They're ok but the way I see it.. they're not transferable for when I decide to upgrade.. if I find a wicked tone that uses some of the effects on there and move to a new amp I'll need to find a new way to do it.

I purely use the amp in Manual mode along with the amp models. I currently have it set onto the Fender Bassman simulator with really low gain and high volume.. so at least I know I'm looking for a more Fendery amp when I upgrade.

But the tones I do have from this amp are fantastic.

Here's a few examples from my amp
http://soundcloud.com/gregdotporter/lenny-toneeee
http://soundcloud.com/gregdotporter/tonezzz
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Vox VT20+
Yeah, I don't care for the effects that much either. Other than reverb I'd use some delay here and there since that's easy enough to emulate once a person upgrades and gets a delay pedal. Then again, I only use delay set to a tempo that follows the basic tempo of a song or use dotted eighth.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
For tweakers, Mustang wins hands down. With the software, there's so many parameters that can be adjusted. I've never had an opportunity to mess with the software personally but I know someone who has and he loves it. I've played the amp in the store and it sounds awesome.

However if you don't have the time/don't want to spend the time, the Vox is a great sounding alternative. We've got a AD15VT combo at church that I play through sometimes when I don't feel like lugging out the AC30, and I gotta say it's somethin' else. Never would've guessed I would love an 8" solid state combo as much as I love that little amp.
Last edited by lifesglorydead at May 12, 2011,
Now hold on here,

I'd go with a Fender Super Champ XD, which is only 15 watts, but plenty loud when Mic'd or Dimed...
IMO, It is better than the VT, Mustang, and the Cube.
If I had to choose one from the list though, It would be the VT.
It is similar to the Super Champ, but the cleans are not as nice.

The Super Champ is great for Classic Rock, Jazz, and Blues.

It has a Hybrid Tube Clean Channel, and 16 Solid State "Voices", which are replications of famous amps, such as Twin Reverbs, Bassman, Hotrod, Marshall JCM, or Vox AC30s...

It is only $299 (USD), and it will be perfect for what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnjnU55JL4
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at May 12, 2011,
Whats the max your willing to spend? We might be able to find you something better.

Out of those listed the VT is pretty good, but the high gain didnt impress me at all. The mustang is pretty tweakable but I felt the VT beat it tone wise. Personally I really like the vypyr. The VT is better with clean tones and maybe with some light disortion but the vypyr beats it with the gain and the cleans arnt to bad either.
my price range would be ranging from $200-$280...
I like to play metal too and cleaner stuff is a must!
So suggest me an overall amp in this range..
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Now hold on here,

I'd go with a Fender Super Champ XD, which is only 15 watts, but plenty loud when Mic'd or Dimed...
IMO, It is better than the VT, Mustang, and the Cube.
If I had to choose one from the list though, It would be the VT.
It is similar to the Super Champ, but the cleans are not as nice.

The Super Champ is great for Classic Rock, Jazz, and Blues.

It has a Hybrid Tube Clean Channel, and 16 Solid State "Voices", which are replications of famous amps, such as Twin Reverbs, Bassman, Hotrod, Marshall JCM, or Vox AC30s...

It is only $299 (USD), and it will be perfect for what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnjnU55JL4

+1
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i found fender super champ epic... but i'm not sure if i would get it in my country easily...
otherwise i'll order it.
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
im pretty sure the super-champ cant do metal
i have a mustang, the cleans and crunch sounds are great and with some tweaking you can get a nice high-gain sound out of it
in addition you can record with it using the included software, its really easy and fun
I have the mustang iii and highly recommend spending another $20 for the amp.