What guitar string gauges should I use for Black Label Society, Metallica, Velvet Revolver and Pantera? I know BLS uses drop tunings so I would want higher gauges but if I also want to play the other stuff which is in standard, what should I get? Right now I use D' Arddario Regular Light 10-46, and in my opinion they don't handle low tunings good. So should I just go up to the next thing they sell or even higher?

Sorry if there's threads like this already, I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for.
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
I've been happiest with my Ernie Ball strings. I'm using skinny top heavy bottom right now and I'm pretty happy with them. I switch between drop d and standard all the time. It's great because your top three strings are regular sized but your bottom three are heavy (hence the name). Your low E is all the way up at .52 I think. I like it.

Just go browse on ernie ball.com and check out all the different sets they have.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
Go up to 11s if you want to do stuff like drop C or D standard. I use 11s and I'm usually in E flat standard.
Honestly this is an area for experimentation. Try different brands and gauges till you find one you like.
Don't all of the bands you mentioned use standard tuning? I guess the "standard" gauge for standard tuning is 09's, although a lot of people prefer 10's.
I'd say that 10's should do fine for standard/drop d. I personally use 10's in D standard and it works great, but it depends on what kind of tension you prefer.
You should be able to pull it off with the amp you have. What settings are you using on that Vypyr?
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
Slash uses 11s on his LPs. Or he did when he was in GN'R and tuning down a half step.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Nugma
Don't all of the bands you mentioned use standard tuning? I guess the "standard" gauge for standard tuning is 09's, although a lot of people prefer 10's.
I'd say that 10's should do fine for standard/drop d. I personally use 10's in D standard and it works great, but it depends on what kind of tension you prefer.

yes all of the bands do except Black Label Society
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Quote by jnukes2
You should be able to pull it off with the amp you have. What settings are you using on that Vypyr?

i usually mess around with the settings till I find what sounds like what im playing
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
I'd just use 11's on guitars that i'll be changing tunings on alot because i still get on with them fine at standard but they are also fine for tunings as low as drop c.

Also zakk wylde uses really heavy strings heavier then that.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 12, 2011,
I sometimes tune my guitar to B. Using 09's. Works fine, though it feels a little sloppylike.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Spanky Weeblemeyer Certified HEVY METL 13-77 strings. Its the secret of the pros.
Quote by NIN1993
i usually mess around with the settings till I find what sounds like what im playing

Well... what you think you like might not be the best choice for what you're trying to achieve. What amp models do you usually use and what kind of EQ and pre gain and post gain are you using?
PM to contact me -- For Sale:
ESP X-Tone series hard case
Big Muff Pi
MXR 10 Band EQ (maybe)
Boss RV-3
Quote by jnukes2
Well... what you think you like might not be the best choice for what you're trying to achieve. What amp models do you usually use and what kind of EQ and pre gain and post gain are you using?

for the the amp models i usually use one of the two top left, and for the EQ I just mess around. but what would you suggest for those bands?
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Last edited by NIN1993 at May 13, 2011,
Metallica - Hammett and Hetfield both use Ernie Ball power slinky strings [11 to 48]
BLS - Zakk Wylde has his own signature line of Dunlop Strings. Go check those out.
VR - Slash uses power slinkies as well
Pantera - Check out his signature line of strings

And concerning low tunings, heavier gauge strings are better for down tuning. This is because the string is thicker, and must be put under more tension.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Zakk Wylde uses 10-60 I believe. He has some heavy ass strings. I love 11-56 in standard D tuning. Get a nice deep chug out of it. But, as everyone has stated, just try different brands and gauges till you find what works better for you. later
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Right now I have 11 - 54 DR DDTs and I'm pretty satisfied with em. They really do stay locked in tune for a while. I usually stay in the D standard - Drop C area, though. So for bands besides BLS, I would go with a slightly lighter gauge.