mmh i cant help but feel like this is advetising,...

and short answer no he was good and creative whit how he used it but technically and expressibly there are people who are better at the guitar than him thats ust my two cents
IMO he is the greatest because he made such an impact on electric guitar from feedback and crazy effects to stage gimmicks and amazing solos. Tell me someone who has never been influenced by Hendrix? Everyone has in one way or the other.

He was way ahead of his time. Hendrix music arsenal was beginning to expand when he died.
Most influencial guitarist, but not greatest songwritting/skill wise... and I love my Jimi
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
Quote by supersac
mmh i cant help but feel like this is advetising,...

and short answer no he was good and creative whit how he used it but technically and expressibly there are people who are better at the guitar than him thats ust my two cents

He was pretty damn technical for the late 60's dude. Try play Killing Floor. Obviously there a far more technical player than him now, but he actually started the whole whammy and feedback techniques.

Dude!! Hendrix was probably one of the most expressive guitars players ever. He never just shredded notes or went up and down in scales unlike many now a days. He played what he felt.

I hate when people say things about Hendrix without even knowing wtf they're talking about. I understand many think he is too overrated but the greatest guitarist have always said he is the best for a reason.
There's no such thing as the greatest guitarist. Why would you even want to label a single guitarist as the best and de-mean all others.

Just listen to guitarists you like, grow up.
The thing with Hendrix, is, he was extremely inovative, just look at Electric Ladyland.
Also, the difference between the rock players then and the majority of rock players now, imo, is that the rock players then could hold their own in a jazz band, and I'm not talking about theory knowledge, I'm talking about how they seemed to let the guitar breathe, just like a sax or trumpet player, it wasn't 10 notes a second for a minute straight, there was slow parts, accentuated by fast intense parts, there were pauses, that is what people talk about when they talk about playing with feeling. That is why SRV got so popular in the '80s.
there's no such thing as the greatest guitarist of all time, some of them will be beter at one thing but someone else can still pass them up in another. when ever someone hits a speed that no one else can you have four billion other guitarists practicing to get there, and eventualy someone will hit it.

this is the same for every single technique and style. there will always be someone who surpasses the current 'record'. in all honesty trying to figure out whos the best at anything is basicaly pretty pointless....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.