Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the Memory Boy and Deluxe Memory Man, apart from price?I used to have the deluxe memory man,, but sold it in a moment of complete madness. I would love that warm analog delay again, as digital doesn't do it for me but the memory man price is too expensive for me.
I know thay are both delay, chorus and vibrato, and having listened to various demos on youtube it seems hard to distinguish any difference. My local guitar shop doesn't stock electro harmonix so I can't go there. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
always the more expensive one, but at the price of the dmm, your better off looking away from electro harmonix... I suggest looking into a used memory lane 1 or the strymon delays
Yeah I've tried ebay, but used dmm are still going for huge amounts..... I have considered the MXR carbon copy but the internal pots would make it too fiddly for me, (I'm lazy like that!) lol
Yep, I agree, you can't get a better analog delay full stop! thats why I soooooo regret selling my 80's dmm 15 years ago, and why I want another one. Digital sucks lol
Digital = Analog for delay. There are tons and tons of good digi delay pedals that can sometimes even be better than the analog units, though tbh, nothing beats the Maxon AD202
I've got a deluxe memory boy for sale if your interested, though I'm not sure how much it differs from the DMM....
I'm really set on a DMM to be honest, as I used to have one, I know exactly what I need, but I was just curious as to how close the deluxe memory boy and or memory boy sound in comparison..... but I may come back to you on your offer of selling your DMB!
I had an MXR carbon copy, returned it to buy the EH Memory Boy, only to return that and get the carbon copy back.

The Memory Boy wasn't a consistent unit in my experience, and I could only ever get about 300 ms of delay out of it even though they advertise 550 ms. Other people have had the same experience.
some of them have tap tempos and stuff and that is a great feature.

i just bought a memory toy. i just demoed a memory boy in person. you know what? i dont see a use for any memory boy setting. the depth is nice. but the chorus/vibrato?? square wave?

first off i cant see an application for the chorus/vibrato. i just want delay. in a gigging situation i just want delay and i might adjust the timing while playing.

the square wave just sounds weird. the modulation on the toy sounds more useable.

i tough i would want an xpression pedal, but for the timing it makes weird super crazy sounds that would be unusable live except for weird experimental stoner jam band stuff.

so really, that mini 3 knob toy is all i ever need. if you want to drop another 100-150 for the super awesome memory pedals, well those definitely have some great stuff. but im not spending that.
Quote by al112987
I had an MXR carbon copy, returned it to buy the EH Memory Boy, only to return that and get the carbon copy back.

The Memory Boy wasn't a consistent unit in my experience, and I could only ever get about 300 ms of delay out of it even though they advertise 550 ms. Other people have had the same experience.

That's interesting. Do you find the internal pots a pain to adjust or have you never used them?
Quote by ikey_
some of them have tap tempos and stuff and that is a great feature.

i just bought a memory toy. i just demoed a memory boy in person. you know what? i dont see a use for any memory boy setting. the depth is nice. but the chorus/vibrato?? square wave?

first off i cant see an application for the chorus/vibrato. i just want delay. in a gigging situation i just want delay and i might adjust the timing while playing.

the square wave just sounds weird. the modulation on the toy sounds more useable.

i tough i would want an xpression pedal, but for the timing it makes weird super crazy sounds that would be unusable live except for weird experimental stoner jam band stuff.

so really, that mini 3 knob toy is all i ever need. if you want to drop another 100-150 for the super awesome memory pedals, well those definitely have some great stuff. but im not spending that.

Just out of interest, I have a Boss ch1 chorus, but how can I tell if it's analogue or digital? I bought it second hand from a guitar shop without a box or manual. Is there anything in particular I can look for to tell me? I'm getting rid of all my digital pedals and replacing them with analogue ones as the sound for me is so much better.
I didn't mess with the internal pots, but a lot of people have had the same problem. I'm not really familiar with how delay pedals work so I'm not really big on calibrating them myself. But a lot of folks on the EHX forum have had problems with inconsistent delay times on the unit though it seems to fix itself when you use the expression pedal.
An expression pedal seems like too much to deal with lol I'm so lazy like that, I just like to plug in and play, no hassle :-) Whats the MXR Carbon Copy like for sound quality and adjusting delay times etc please? I'm perhaps thinking I should get one of those instead....
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at May 12, 2011,
Big difference between the Memory Boy and the Deluxe Memory Boy.

If you're going to be spending $150 on a Carbon Copy you might as well look at the Deluxe Memory Boy as well, since it's around the same price and has a lot more features. Still completely analog, has tap tempo and a longer delay time available than the regular Memory Boy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Big difference between the Memory Boy and the Deluxe Memory Boy.

If you're going to be spending $150 on a Carbon Copy you might as well look at the Deluxe Memory Boy as well, since it's around the same price and has a lot more features. Still completely analog, has tap tempo and a longer delay time available than the regular Memory Boy.

Thanks for your reply. I know the Electro Harmonix sound, and it really is the sound I want. Besides, I couldn't be bothered with messing around with the internal pots on the carbon copy. So that answers that, I'll check out the memory boy and keep an eye out on ebay for another memory man too.

Thanks for all your replies.

Cheers
Quote by Ichabod Crane
An expression pedal seems like too much to deal with lol I'm so lazy like that, I just like to plug in and play, no hassle :-) Whats the MXR Carbon Copy like for sound quality and adjusting delay times etc please? I'm perhaps thinking I should get one of those instead....

I like the Carbon Copy, the repeats are darker and warmer sounding than the Memory Boy's which are a little bit cleaner. That may or may not be what you are looking for. It has a pretty good delay time, out of the box much longer than the Memory Boy. I have a clip of a Carbon Copy and one of the Memory Boy (the Big Muff Pi demo) in my profile if you're interested. Though they're not really good comparisons, one was recorded using on a Super Champ XD with the volume dial on 1 and the other one was recorded using a JTM45 into a quad of greenbacks turned to 7 or 8 (and is going to sound better regardless of the delay pedal...)
unless the boss is marketed as an analog, then it probably isnt. even some pedals say they are but they are fake, like the modtone delay, which uses th P2339 chip or something to copy analog sounds.

to my knowledge, there is no currently made boss that is analog. there used to be great ones but they stopped making them.

you can set the expression pedal to control delay...and if you move the pedal you get CRAZY syth spaceship sounds completely unusable in song. its the same as changing the knobs but worse.

you can set it to change the delay type from chorus to vibrato, which gives a shimmery leslie speaker effect. that is cool if you want to rock a pedal teh whole song.