I tried to sum up what I need in the title just to cut any pointless banter out, but I'll try to detail my predicament out as good as I can.

So, I play bass in a band, I've been borrowing their previous bassist's amp for now (cos he was in a side-project with most of the same members, but the rhythm guitarist has been a douche and disbanded that, meaning soon that bass amp won't be available at the private studio we practice at, and also for gigs).
This means I need to buy a bass amp.

So, my budget is probably (as much as I hate to part with my small amount of saved money ) about £200 max.

I'm definitely going used, unless there's somehow a decently powered amp which is easy to transport and which won't buckle after some heavy road-usage for less than my budget!

In terms of what I play (which would shape my tone), in my home playing I enjoy fusion, jazz, bits of funk, stuff like that. But I probably won't really need this sort of tone (unfortunately) for what I'll need the amp for.
The band I'll be using the amp for, in practice and live, are a Ska covers band.
Mainly covering Two-Tone, bits of Reggae, and very slight elements of funk and pop (we do a couple of Stevie Wonder tunes as crowd pleasers, and some original songs, so the basslines I came up for them are a bit jazz-rock-ish.) So stuff like The Specials, Madness, Toots and the Maytals, Bob Marley, etc.

A key factor in my bass amp needs is how easy it is to transport.
I don't drive and rely on other people for my transport so for gigs (I'll probably leave the amp at the Sax player's studio where we practice most of the time to still be able to get lifts with the drummer for practice) I'd like to take up as little space as possible, preferably able to fit into sort of one person's "space" in the back seat of a car, maybe a bit more (usually driving to gigs is me, the guitarist and the rhythm guitarist in a car, me rolling in the back with the guitars and the gig clothes...so I'd be jammed in, but it's my fault for not having the cash to learn to drive I guess!).

Another thing I'll definitely need on it, even though it's not exactly rare on most modern bass amps, is a built in D.I...thing, I don't want to be spending anymore on a D.I box because money is insanely tight, I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy a bass amp so soon to be honest.

In terms of wattage, I'll take whatever will be suitable, the amp I'm borrowing is a 300 watt solid state amp, I usually play with both the master and the channel volumes (it's one of those digital line6 amps with like 4 digital channels in it...I only ever use the clean setting with no gain and a very simple EQ setting on it) at about half way.
So I think I may be able to get away with using a 200 watt amp minimum. (Though I know a guy who filled in for a band as the bass position at a 3 day festival where he used an Ashdown Electric Blue 180, outdoor and indoor gigs, so lower wattages may be an option).

Anyway, I think that's all the information anyone will need to give me some help.
I'm not buying right away (In a couple of weeks, got loads of gigs lined up, I should be able to make a purchase) so any current ebay links probably won't be helpful.
What I'm really looking for, is the names of a few suitable amps which are likely to be sold on ebay for good prices around my budget.

So if anyone knows anything I'll be very grateful!

(I'll leave a summary here as I wrote a monstrous amount)

Summary:
I need an easy to transport, used, bass amp for playing in a Ska/Two-Tone covers band who will be gigging regularly (so D.I is needed too) for about £200.

Thanks!
looking used I would keep an eye out for peavey stuff. also do you have a Pa in your practice space? you may want to buy a DI box and just run through that. its what my bass player did with his old band and what he did at our practices when we could still practice in their garage.
no sir away a papaya war is on
There's a P.A in the practice space yeah, but the speakers we use probably won't carry the bass too well. For gigs we have both tops and bass bins, so D.I is possible and sounds good, but in practice it'd probably sound bad due to the speakers being mainly used for only vocals and Saxophone.

Plus I'll definitely need an amp for monitoring reasons during gigs. I did think about buying a D.I box and just using that, but it wouldn't really work, unfortunately, it'd make life a lot easier.

Are there any specific Peavey amps that you have in mind also?

Thanks!
Whatever you do, DON'T SETTLE! Wait and look until you try something that makes you melt.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
I've only read the summary, but used is definitely the way to go. There's a 4x10 Trace Elliott combo going used on Gumtree not far from me for £200 at the moment.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Deeptubes, to be honest, all I need is something with alright tone (the band is a case of the two frontmen and the rest are just formalities, so I barely do anything, but it lines my pockets a bit! ), so I'll probably find the best deal (when my funds are completely together) on the best amp I can find at that time and spring for that.
Providing it ticks my boxes I'm happy!

Fleajr_1412, yeah I'm definitely going used, it'd be foolish to want what I want new on my budget!
And 4x10 is a bit big for me. =/
I'm really looking for something with one speaker, purely for on-stage monitoring purposes and practices.
I would go with a 2x10. if a 4x10 is too big then a 1x15 is gonna be too big as well.
no sir away a papaya war is on
If I was you, I would be all over that Trace Elliot 4x10. You can always turn the volume down.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at May 12, 2011,
Deeptubes, you're misunderstanding me, volume isn't a problem, it's physical size. What I need is something that can easily fit in the backseat of a car.

The Pedestrian, I'm not entirely sure on how big each speaker is, in terms of the 15s or 10s (being a guitarist is so much easier, pretty much one speaker size ) but I just want whatever would fit in a backseat of a car as previous said.
Quote by fleajr_1412
I've only read the summary, but used is definitely the way to go. There's a 4x10 Trace Elliott combo going used on Gumtree not far from me for £200 at the moment.

...tempted to spend the little money I have on that... whereabouts is it?
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by LastSlayerKing
...tempted to spend the little money I have on that... whereabouts is it?

It's in Llanelli on Gumtree, I haven't checked it recently so it might still be available.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by the_perdestrian
I would go with a 2x10. if a 4x10 is too big then a 1x15 is gonna be too big as well.

I dunno, I think a 1*15 combo is lot easier to fit into a single seat (like in TS's post) than a 4*10 combo or half stack. That said, I've had plenty of success gigging with a 2*10 and head, I just set the 2*10 vertically on one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Musicians-Gear-Folding-Tiltback-Stand/dp/B001ANK4C0
and it worked great for stage volume, and with 200w I've even been able to get plenty of volume in little cafe or bar gigs w/out FOH at all.

I'll second or third the peavey suggestion. I don't know if they're rarer on your side of the pond, but stateside they are cheap and flood the used market. There's no particular model I'm thinking of, any model with enough wattage (and I'm more conservative than most saying 200w will work) and the DI out should be fine. You might be able to find one so cheap w/out a DI that you can just go drop $30 on a behringer or some other cheap DI.
Quote by obeythepenguin
For what it's worth, I swear by my SWR LA15:

Fairly lightweight, and it fits nicely in my car. Only 100W though, and I think it might have been discontinued.

x2. Or look for a similar amp (100 watts 1 15" speaker). Most companies make them. You should be able to get one similar from Crate, Peavey, etc. for what you have or less...used that is. check the local shops and online locally
Also look at a used Roland CB100, it also works as a DI (either dry or with effects and has a ground lift). Usually works for practices unless the band likes to be at ear bleed levels all the time. Looks small but few people I play with laugh at it more than once.

I have seen used/demos being advertised in the UK for around 245 pounds.