How do you develop phrasing like Marty Friedman for example?

He's so dynamic and fast. It just sounds really smooth and there are no hitches.
Knowledge.

It's difficult to play that fast if you can't think that fast. He knows where all his notes are, he knows his intervals so, crucially, he knows what sound he's going to get when he does something - rather than having to think about it for a few seconds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1.

That and just generally shit hot technique.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by steven seagull
Knowledge.

It's difficult to play that fast if you can't think that fast.

This. One of the first books I read when starting guitar said that all the great guitarists have spent years training their hands and their minds to reach that level.
Man I love Marty Friedman. I'd suck a dick to be able to play like him.

The biggest thing about Marty's playing is his bends. Don't approach bending like a normal blues musician would, bending up from comfortable positions.
What Marty does often is he bends from a note that isn't in the scale; for example from a major third if he's playing a minor progression, or from a major 7th etc. It sounds cool and exotic if done right. Also play with vibrato and quick pre-bends.

Another thing. Learn your apreggios. Up and down the neck, most of them sweeped... Not just the standard minor-major arps that everyone knows, come up with your own.

Also Marty doesn't even use exotic scales all that often - he just uses the notes in the standard natural minor scale wisely. For example, next time when you play, completely avoid the 4th and the 7th notes of the scale. The wide intervals created that way give it a more exotic sound, even though it's not an exotic scale at all.

Just listen to his playing and try to emulate it. I've been a fan of his playing ever since I started playing guitar and I try to (and I'm failing at) play like him.
Well, basically a combination of excellent fretboard knowledge, excellent technique, and an excellent musical imagination.

You need all of the above to play fast, smooth, interesting improvisation.