I'm in the market for a strat (my first real strat), and until yesterday I had settled on the MIM roadhouse... but then I noticed it only has 21 frets. Kinda a deal breaker for me.

I've been searching MF's site this morning, and the only 22 fret guitars I've found in my price range are the american special - $850 (which is REALLY stretching my budget), and the highway one -$730... (not sure if that's MIM, but since it doesn't say "American" anywhere I'm assuming it is)

Is that it, or am I missing something? Only 2 22 fret strats in the <$900 price range?

I'll be using the strat for stuff like pink floyd, SRV, Clapton... your average strat fare. I'm open to a tele as well, but I've never played one so I'm not sure how well those would fit the styles I want to play with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Current gear is:

Mesa Mark IV
Carvin CT624
LP Studio (down tuned for teh chuggies)
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Pink Floyd, SRV, Clapton... they use(d) 21 fret guitars. Regardless, American and some Japanese guitars get 22 frets, Mexican ones get 21 frets. That's the long and short of it. If you want 22 frets you either have to pay the extra and get a MIJ/MIA guitar or you need to pay out for a 22 fret neck from Warmoth or Mighty Mite, or you can buy American Fender necks on eBay that will fit onto a Mexican body but that's an extra couple of hundred right there. The cost of a Mexican model with an extra neck usually adds up to around the same as a MIA Standard Strat.

Think about how often you use the 22nd fret, really. Think about your playing style. It's probably not anywhere near as important as you think it is. It's like all the metal players who insist on 24 frets when really they're only going to go past fret 20 once in a blue moon.
Well I know David Gilmour used a 22 fret at some point. There are notes in the solo for "money" that you really can't hit on a 21 fret. But whatever, not the point. I want 22, and am just trying to find out if there are more models out there than what I'm seeing on MF.

Oh, and my Carvin is a 24 fret. I don't really play much metal, and I RARELY ever use the 24th fret. I got the 24 because I find that I have easier access to frets 21 and 22 without my hand being butted right up to the body. It's just more comfortable to me. And I go past fret 20 all the time.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
I found a guy selling a 2002 highway one for $550... Seems to be in pretty good shape. Is this a good deal? I'm not terribly well versed on strats, but the highway one series are selling for $730 new right now
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes