I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but since a mic isn't necessarily for recording I figured it fit since it's for guitar amps. I was just wondering about the Audix i5? I hear it has a less squashed sound and it captures more lows while retaining similar favorable qualities to the sm57 (to which all comments of comparison have been referring to as a reference). Would it work well for live AND recording?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at May 12, 2011,
Quote by connorhxcchaos
Just go the SM57, everyone uses it for a reason...

The SM57 is definitely the standard for mic'ing, but that doesn't mean it's the best. It depends on your budget and what you're going to use it for. Mics can cost anywhere from $50 to thousands. If you're only willing to spend $100 USD, then the SM57 is a good option. Especially if you're going to be gigging with it, since they can take a beating. However, if you increase your budget by a bit, you can look at other, better-sounding, more versatile mics. I have an AKG Perception 220. AKG makes great mics, and their Perception line is affordable, and still very high quality. I have absolutely no complaints about this mic; I've loved it every time I've used it. And it's versatile. It can record acoustic guitars, electric guitar amps, bass amps, vocals, the list goes on. I'm not saying that the Perception 220 series is the best, but for the price, it's a great mic!

TS: You're more likely to get better suggestions if you give more info like budget, instruments you'd like to record, gigging/home recording, etc.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
The i5 you mention is a cardioid mic - as such it is less directional than the SM57. That's not necessarily a problem for live stuff, but it is more likely to feed back than a highly directional mic

EDIT: the sm57 is cardioid too - i seem to be talking a lot ocrap today
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at May 12, 2011,
Right, my budget is around $100-$150. I plan to do both gigging and home recording with it. I know I'd get good results with an sm57, but I don't want to just settle for it if I don't have to.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5