I have an off brand pratice amp and ive got a little extra cash and thought about switching out the speaker. Would I notice a difference in sound quality?
Equipment:
Ibanez sa
Randall 120 halfstack
Heartfield Talon I ( for sale pm me for details )
Heavly modified Squire
Yahmaha bass
Peavy 20 watt pratice amp
XBL:johnnyDiamond08
Steam: ishotu2
if the speaker is a step up from stock, then of course you will.

seriously, the speaker is what is actually CREATING the soundwaves you hear.

it takes the electrical audio signal from the amp and converts it into physical soundwaves that your ears can hear.
Are you playing bass or guitar through it? What size is the speaker and what internal volume is the cab?
Phil/Others: Somewhat related to the thread, is it safe to use the Celestion G12K100 and G12T100 as Bass speakers? I've been using those with my Traynor TBA200 or Thunderverb 200. Kinda accelerated break-in + sounds a bit looser than the regular 10" of the Ampeg SVT. I didn't want to destroy them through extensive play if it isn't ideal.

G12K100:

G12T100:

I know some prefer to solder speaker connections instead of quick connects, what wire gauge do you recommend?

Thanks.

I wouldn't use them for bass. At lower frequencies the cones have to move much further to produce the same volume and guitar speakers are designed to have a very limited excursion (front to back movement) The voice coil will be pushed out of the magnetic gap meaning limited bass and probably premature failure of the speakers. It would be OK at low volumes though.

I use 42 strand speaker cable for internal wiring of cabs but anything capable of carrying 5amps will do so you could strip out the conductors of old mains leads. The critical factors are flexibility, because the cabs are moved a lot, and low resistance. really thick cables can be a liability because of their weight and stiffness unless you support them mechanically.
Quote by Ippon
Thanks Phil. I know 2 bassists who use them so I'll give them the heads up. I also read in various forums how they use those 2 for "extended" range. So, back to the Ampeg 10s.

Thanks!

I probably shouldn't muddy the waters but it is only the bottom octave that is important here. If you used a capacitor filter or just turned down the bass on the eq and used them with another speaker then you could get their sound without damaging them. They just need a little protection is all.
Quote by Phil Starr
I probably shouldn't muddy the waters but it is only the bottom octave that is important here. If you used a capacitor filter or just turned down the bass on the eq and used them with another speaker then you could get their sound without damaging them. They just need a little protection is all.
So, to be conservative, filter out anything below 100Hz or 20 Hz? What cap values do you recommend?

Thanks!

Ok the formula for capacitance is 1/2πfR where f is the frequency and R the impedance of the speaker. A 200uF or 220uF capacitor will give you 6dB of roll off at about 100Hz.

The only practical capacitor is a reversible electrolytic for something of this value. It should cost about £2. At least that's the UK price.