Page 1 of 2
hey guys im getting an electric guitar and amp for my birthday next week and itll be my frist so i need help deciding what im gonna get. im not sure what my parents are willing to spend but we were at the shop the other day lookin at stuff for about 400ish and they seemed to be ok with that so maybe around there.

My favorite player of all time would definitely be slash, to me he just writes all the best solos and his tone is just friggin awesome! but i know hes a pro and his stuff is prolly really expensive so, maybe i can get a sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YoI9SpbRI&feature=grec_index
you type very well for someone who isn't even one year old yet

i dunno, maybe epiphone les paul standard plus vox valvetronix?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you type very well for someone who isn't even one year old yet

i dunno, maybe epiphone les paul standard plus vox valvetronix?

totally agree!!

good budget!
you'll get a better start than what i got
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
need to look up some more options in case he can't stretch...the epi alone is ~$400
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dont mean to be pushy or anything but im looking this stuff on google and i have no idea have the specx mean, maybe u can describe to me what its good? lol sorry
Quote by Dave_Mc
need to look up some more options in case he can't stretch...the epi alone is ~$400

ah

i dunno the prices there...

maybe a epiphone SG-400

you have to try it first, i don't like the SG model... cuz of the weird strap button on the back ( instead of other guitars )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Br0wnstoner
dont mean to be pushy or anything but im looking this stuff on google and i have no idea have the specx mean, maybe u can describe to me what its good? lol sorry

uhm..
good is relative..

what are you referring to?
most is just personal prefererance
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
squier affiny and fender frontman is a pretty complete package for a beginner. steer away from budget knockoff brands like gear4music or gould. they put makin money in front of quality.
I dunno, maybe an epi lp studio or an sg400 if you really can't stretch? would only save you ~$50 though...

there's always agile and people like that but i'm not too sure how sensible it is to buy online if it's your first guitar unless you have someone you trust who can check it out and set it up for you...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well the guitars we were looking at were like 400 abouts, so thats just the guitar they know gotta get an amp so maybe 100 or more for amp?
Quote by Br0wnstoner
and while we're at it are there like books or dvds that help u learn?

i really like slashs bluesy hard rock playing like this bit at mr brownstone at 4:10 i really love that lol sorry im just really inspired right now XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqzGrlls3M

stay on here and read a lot of new threads
i don't know if there are books...
wikipedia also helps.

i learned everything on here

i would buy a first guitar learn book too, cuz then you can learn better

Quote by Br0wnstoner
well the guitars we were looking at were like 400 abouts, so thats just the guitar they know gotta get an amp so maybe 100 or more for amp?

amp is more important than guitar
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
^ I dunno... at this budget i'd say the guitar is more important. especially since the advent of pretty decent, pretty cheap modelling amps.

at a budget of ~$1000 or more I'd probably agree. At least when trying to combat the eejits who have a $2000 PRS into a marshall MG

Quote by Br0wnstoner

there's a fair bit of info in the stickies...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675

Basically specs can only tell you so much. While you need to keep them in mind (for example if you know you want humbuckers you need to make sure that the guitar comes with humbuckers, lol), they aren't the be-all and end-all, and a $200 guitar which supposedly on paper has the same specs as a $2000 guitar won't be as good, lol.

Basically for slash I'd want a les paul style guitar (mahogany body, maple top, single cutaway, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, 24 3/4" scale length and two lower output humbuckers) combined with a hot-rod marshall style valve amp.

since that's pretty much out of your price range (well both are, anyway), you're going to have to compromise. The epi les paul standard would work if you can stretch, and the vox is a pretty decent modelling amp which'll give you a bunch of different tones and be useful for a wide variety of tones.

it'd be worth playing some les paul style guitars, though- they're not the comfiest guitars to play. just starting out, anything solid-bodied with two humbuckers is going to sound "close enough" to slash's tone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's a fair bit of info in the stickies...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365675

Basically specs can only tell you so much. While you need to keep them in mind (for example if you know you want humbuckers you need to make sure that the guitar comes with humbuckers, lol), they aren't the be-all and end-all, and a $200 guitar which supposedly on paper has the same specs as a $2000 guitar won't be as good, lol.

Basically for slash I'd want a les paul style guitar (mahogany body, maple top, single cutaway, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, 24 3/4" scale length and two lower output humbuckers) combined with a hot-rod marshall style valve amp.

since that's pretty much out of your price range (well both are, anyway), you're going to have to compromise. The epi les paul standard would work if you can stretch, and the vox is a pretty decent modelling amp which'll give you a bunch of different tones and be useful for a wide variety of tones.

it'd be worth playing some les paul style guitars, though- they're not the comfiest guitars to play. just starting out, anything solid-bodied with two humbuckers is going to sound "close enough" to slash's tone.

i agree allmost all

i think my ec-100 plays better ( and more comfortally ) than my strat.. or even the ST model i tried...
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
yeah a lot of it is personal preference too- i'm not saying LP shapes are horrible or anything like that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah a lot of it is personal preference too- i'm not saying LP shapes are horrible or anything like that

i know

just test some different kind of guitars and amps out...
make sure you pick a good one, which you really like playing on it

try to play as much as you can for yourself

when i bought my first guitar, i havent the oppurtunity to try :/
and he plugged my strat into a 1000€ marshall..

oh: when you get a modeller, get a vox valvetronix ( not a spider, vypyr or cube )
that's because the vox is IMO a more rock amp, so it suit you better
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
ok everywhere i read looks like the epiphone les paul is the right guitar for me. but i also read the peavey vypyr is the better modeling amp as it can do rock and metal, cuz i also a huge fan off metallica.

also are tube amps alot better? i read about those in the sticky and it sounds like their a lot better. Is there a good one for around 200?
Quote by Br0wnstoner
ok everywhere i read looks like the epiphone les paul is the right guitar for me. but i also read the peavey vypyr is the better modeling amp as it can do rock and metal, cuz i also a huge fan off metallica.

also are tube amps alot better? i read about those in the sticky and it sounds like their a lot better. Is there a good one for around 200?

Cheap tube vs cheap ss wins tube

I should look at a good and confortable amp, i would go for the vox

The vox is awsome for gnr IMO
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
The Vox is a good suggestion with your budget. Then save your pennies to buy a Marshall Class 5.
I'm not even going to try to suggest guitars in the US. All I'll say is Dave speaks sense. Find a guitar with two humbucker pickups and a nice neck. You want to see it set up properly and look for a nice low action with no fret buzz anywhere. That's all that matter at this stage of your development. Good neck and humbuckers; everything else is fluff around the edges right now that shouldn't attract your attention.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Marshall Class 5 is a good suggestion - although you may find your own voice and tone by then.

The Epi and the Vox are where you need to start. A decent enough beginners guitar (and far better than anything I picked up 20 years ago) and an modelling amp with a good response, some simple effects and the ability to practice in silence when you need to - all essential should you become addicted to playing.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Br0wnstoner

not really for the tones you want- the cheaper tube amps tend to be aimed at vintage stuff, don't have master volumes (so you have to turn them up loud to get distortion) and don't have much preamp gain.

they're (depending on the model; some are nicer than others) pretty nice if you can turn them up and play, say, led zep or the rolling stones or something like that. not so much for metallica and g n r.

I didn't realise you also like heavier stuff- if you do you could also consider the vypyr and the roland cube 30x (the smaller cubes, apart from the microcube, don't have amp models and aren't really much good).

Quote by Cathbard
The Vox is a good suggestion with your budget. Then save your pennies to buy a Marshall Class 5.
I'm not even going to try to suggest guitars in the US. All I'll say is Dave speaks sense. Find a guitar with two humbucker pickups and a nice neck. You want to see it set up properly and look for a nice low action with no fret buzz anywhere. That's all that matter at this stage of your development. Good neck and humbuckers; everything else is fluff around the edges right now that shouldn't attract your attention.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 13, 2011,
Quote by Br0wnstoner
hey guys im getting an electric guitar and amp for my birthday next week and itll be my frist so i need help deciding what im gonna get. im not sure what my parents are willing to spend but we were at the shop the other day lookin at stuff for about 400ish and they seemed to be ok with that so maybe around there.

My favorite player of all time would definitely be slash, to me he just writes all the best solos and his tone is just friggin awesome! but i know hes a pro and his stuff is prolly really expensive so, maybe i can get a sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_YoI9SpbRI&feature=grec_index

These are a couple of Les Paul style guitars they're very good instrument for the money and should fit your budget.

ESP LTD EC-100QM

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC100QM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516637

ESP LTD EC-256

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-EC-256-Electric-Guitar-105328694-i1426087.gc

Vox Valvetronix VT20+

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-VT20--20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106219355-i1570230.gc
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Looking at what you are gunning for, the Vox Valvetronix series would meet your needs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-VT20--20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106219355-i1570230.gc

Also, if you can get your hands on a Agile Les Paul, they are great quality for the money and won't break your bank. There is another brand from UK, and they also offer great quality LPs at affordable prices, but I can't recall the brand right now.

I personally would steer clear of Epiphones, unless you have an experienced guitarist with you to check out the axe, you could end up with a lemon.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ vintage

he's in the US though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nothing wrong with epiphones... In fact, their neck through models are really nice. The Epiphone LP ultra is a pretty bad ass guitar that can hold it's own against a Gibson. But that's a bit outside your price range... I think they're like $600 new. Unless you can find one used for $400 or so... If you can, get it. The ultra is pretty amazing.

As far as $200 tube amps... I wouldn't bother. Grab a vypyr or something like that and just start jamming. Eventually you'll probably want to upgrade it, but you can save up for it while you improve your skills on the vypyr. You don't need a $1000 tube amp when you're just learning to play.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
The tone will depend on amp.. so if you want classic rock and blues tone then go for vox otherwise if you like metal and stuff too, then go for roland Xl or something like that... vypr sucks for clean imo.
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
ok most people say vox vt20 so I think i'll get that and the epiphone les paul

anything else i should know about?
You're taking the first steps toward a life of living with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). Every time you think you're done upgrading, you will surely find some other piece of gear to replace very soon. But don't worry, it can be managed. The treatment, however is not cheap.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Hmm.....I think everyone forgot to mention that Ibanez has some good les paul guitar. The ART series(love them) can deliver similar tones. ESP has a few good ones too.

Buy Used
Try some lower-end epiphones. If that don't float your boat, try one of the yamaha Pacificas. I started on one of them, and were a great first guitar. Ah, I remember being in your position. Also, it's evident you're not very advanced as you regard slash as a good player.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
i don't mind slash I mean he's not my favourite player or anything, but you could have far, far worse guitar heros. At least he's a good player, if not maybe guthrie govan good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yes, clearly everyone who thinks slash is good must be a very inexperienced player

Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
This is done according to your budget.
Slash uses a Gibson Les Paul. Since Epiphone is a more affordable Gibson [Epiphone is owned by Gibson], I found an Epiphone Les Paul 100. That's $250 on the guitar center website.

Slash uses Marshall amplifiers, but since the affordable MG series is considered awful, I say go
for a Roland Cube 15XL. I have the older model [15X], and I can say that this thing is very, very versatile. Has different amp models for different tones, a 3 band EQ, gain, volumes, seperate clean channel and a power squeezer, which reduces the ouput of the amp but keeps the tone [good for not disturbing neighbours]

The 15Xl is $99 on the GC website

+99
----

You will probably need the rest of the money to buy accessories, such as picks, strings, a cable and a tuner. Good luck bro

Quote by some guy
squier affiny and fender frontman is a pretty complete package for a beginner. steer away from budget knockoff brands like gear4music or gould. they put makin money in front of quality.

Gear4music don't make the greatest of guitars, but they definitely aren't bad for the price. I have a ST style G4M guitar in my loft. I used it for over a year, then got another guitar.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at May 13, 2011,
Quote by Br0wnstoner
ok ok hold up i know you didnt just diss slash!!! lol

but srsly, whats wrong with him?? sure he doesnt player superfast like kirk hammett but its his melodies that are so awesome that set him apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93BJx4aqll8

slash is better than kirk hammett.

Don't like kirk hammett at all. His vibrato sounds like he's having a spasm in his arm.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, if you want a good pracitce amp...i'd definitly recommend the Vox Valvetronix...i played one at a Guitar Center about 2 months back and it was pretty good compared to only lower budget SS amps. THAT OR a Fender Mustang, they're great as well.

As for guitar, the Epi Les Paul is around 500$. Its really good, i actually have the same guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top) and its great. I've modded it a little bit (switched out some pickups and stuff of that nature) but its one of those guitars that is easy to play. Its a really REALLY good beginners guitar...lucky for you, you came here and didnt fall for the same mistake i did (buy a BC RICH SOB Avenger with a Line 6 Spider 4 15w amp...waste of money)

My recommendation is the Fender Mustang used with a Epiphone Les Paul, or something else like a Melody Maker or Fender Standard Stratocaster (or Telecaster...both of which are AMAZING for beginners)...I hope this helps and have fun learning!

EDIT: after reading some recent post...i have to say that i prefer James' playing over Kirks and that Slash is a bumbling drunk whose high points only consist of a good tone and clear playing...

Still...Metallica is one of my favorite bands ever and i like every member of Metallica...hell, Kirk was one of my biggest influences to start guitar, but after listening to Metallica ALOT and actually learning how to play guitar I prefer James' playing 1000x over Kirks, its alot more heavy...plus James isnt "wah-blind" like Kirk.

thats my .02 cents
Last edited by B.C. RICH5000 at May 13, 2011,
I dunno, i think slash has written some of the best guitar parts in like the last 30 years. him being a drunk ( although sober now i think for 3 years) has no impact on what i think about his music with gnr. its unmatched imo, at least for me. i love both james and kirk's stuff also but to me slash's style just... lol i dont know i cant explain it. I can instantly recognize his playing anywhere, his style and sound is unqiue to himself and i guess its justy the way his fingers work, makes my ears jizz lol. I dunno, to each their own but when I start playing my main thing would be learning the basics of slash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1TvGmBfjQ8

this is just amaazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXzr5Ip4vP0
Last edited by Br0wnstoner at May 13, 2011,
Quote by jpatan
Nothing wrong with epiphones... In fact, their neck through models are really nice. The Epiphone LP ultra is a pretty bad ass guitar that can hold it's own against a Gibson. But that's a bit outside your price range... I think they're like $600 new. Unless you can find one used for $400 or so... If you can, get it. The ultra is pretty amazing.

I find the quality of an epi for the price paid to be questionable. Yes I have seen and played some well set up and solidly constructed Epis, but I've played many more Epis with poor build quality and terrible factory QC and setups.

IMO Epis are only worth considering if you have an experienced guitarist along to test the quality of the axe otherise there are better alternatives out there. For example Pacificas are def solid quality guitars with consistent quality standards at lower prices.

IMO most of the time the risk of owning a lemon of an epi just isn't worth the effort, unless you know what to look out for when trying guitars.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
OH i completely forgot...If you want some really good quality guitars that are really cheap (but dont let that fool you) check out Agile Guitars. They have SEVERAL Les Paul models. I've only played an Agile once, but it was great, and cheap...which is almost always a plus

Im more than likely gonna buy the Agile Ghost III and swap the pickups out...
Page 1 of 2