I am wanting to get an amp, more or less designed to give me that...hmmm extreme metal sound, I don't really have a specific tone in mind, but I do want something over the top heavy (which some of that will of course come from down tune/heavier gauge strings). I am somewhat new to guitar, I only have about a year of experience, but I have my fundamentals down (with the exception of scales, working on those as we speak), so even I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I've thought about getting a Peavey 6505 Combo (600 new, but I'm sure I could find it for cheaper).

A friend recommended a Blackstar HT-20 but I can't really justify paying 500$ for a 20W amp, however my experience in those low power tube amps is very limited, he also recommended some JEt Rock City amp, but based on what I saw it doesn't look like it's the amp for me.

I am open to ideas, but I've also considering a Peavey Valve King 112, however, I hear it doesn't quite give that death metal tone, but perhaps with a decent pedal it could deliver, and I know it's clean sound is a better than the 6505

**edit** I am all willing to to spend the least amount as possibly in relation to a good deal, i think my cap is probably 600 but realistically after i take out my ibanez out of layaway (Ibanez RG with EM 81/85 pickups, with a nice hardshell case for 200$ ) ill probably be only to pull together 300-450 for ampage
Last edited by gravatrax at May 12, 2011,
I have the Jet City JCA100H. It's a good amp. Took me a year of reviewing youtube and every review I could find before actually buying. I play heavy technical metal and it does everything I could need and more.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
the blackstar ht20 can do small gigs and even larger if mic'd--by all accounts. If you are just playing at home, or parties, it is plenty loud...perhaps too loud for practical bedroom use.
Just look for a used 5150 2x12 on cl or ebay, ive seen 2x12 5150s go for under $400 a bunch of times, or look for deals on mesa rectos you can sometimes score a 2 ch. recto for $700-800, or a single rec.
Also look at peavey xxx
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at May 12, 2011,
Quote by xkreedx
I have the Jet City JCA100H. It's a good amp. Took me a year of reviewing youtube and every review I could find before actually buying. I play heavy technical metal and it does everything I could need and more.

Clips??
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I'll post some later today.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by JD2k9
Im gonna say the Bugera 333 (xl). The 333 is based on the XXX and the 333xl is based on the JSX.

Why not 6262? Or better yet. You can get a used 6505 for the price...

Also make sure you try the amps out and watch some vids. IMO the Blackstar HT has a much better metal sound than the Jet Shitty
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at May 12, 2011,
@xkreedx

I'm by no means doubting Jet Cities performance, but I think that price is a little high for me, I am only a lowely college student lol, so I usually have to save up for the stuff. Not to mention I'd have to buy a cab for it too

@ afrika18

That's what my friend said too, it just seems like the Peavey is the better of the two.

@ slipknot_420 + maddnotez

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/msg/2350810736.html

Like that? Seems a little high for an amp that's 10 years old lol

I did see a 6505 combo used on ebay for 400$

@ xkreedx That would be very appreciated

note: I might add the $600 is probably the max amount i can round out for it all (amp, head, combo, whatever it may be)

Ill have to check out the buggerra, not familiar with them.

Basically I think a tone similar to what im looking for is that of a band called Cephalic Carnage, maybe a little heavier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE_MzQUtzCg

Some of my favorite bands (Nile, Deicide, etc.) use Marshalls, but I've always been told in order to get one that has a good heavy metal tone you really got to shell out some $$
used XXX or JSX gets my vote.

maybe a used ultra plus would be in the $350-400 area.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah dont buy that on Craigslit. Sheffields are crappy speakers....

I was talking about just buying the 6505+ head for $600....Missed the part about needing a cab too...sorry....

In that case I would buy a used Ampeg VH-140C for $300 and then get a used 2x12 for $300, you might be able to find a decent 2x12 for $300
Quote by gravatrax

Some of my favorite bands (Nile, Deicide, etc.) use Marshalls, but I've always been told in order to get one that has a good heavy metal tone you really got to shell out some $$

Thats pretty much the truth.. You wont get amazing for $600 but if you look around and buy used. You can definitely get something decent to get you through the years until your ready to drop a grand on a head.

There are so many options these days..You can go as far as buying a decent wattage cheap-o amp that isnt that great and maybe buy the Wampler Triple Wreck pedal or something like that all the way to spending your $600 on an amp and just using your laptop and impulses for a cab..Its all a matter of preference...
Last edited by maddnotez at May 12, 2011,
Not sure, but the Randall Diavlo will come out in a few months.

Krank amps could get a consideration also.
Quote by maddnotez
Why not 6262? Or better yet. You can get a used 6505 for the price...

Also make sure you try the amps out and watch some vids. IMO the Blackstar HT has a much better metal sound than the Jet Shitty

Not having a crappy ss sounding od makes the jet city a bad amp?
The 6505 or 6505+ are the go to for OTT metal. You could look at Krank too, but they tend to be a hit or miss affair, you either like the tone or you don't.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah I like the tone of a Krank however it is not in my budget. I think I'll probably end of trying to find a used 6505+ combo or if somehow my budget increases get 6505+ head and some cab
I found my Krank rev jr. 20w for 450$ used. It is a very good deal if you are looking for a Gain who sound hell. If you want play clean, buy the pro version (for bass, middle, treble control) the "normal" clean channel is only a flat tone or pass your turn
Quote by JD2k9
Im gonna say the Bugera 333 (xl). The 333 is based on the XXX and the 333xl is based on the JSX.

+1
the 333xl is dominant
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today