I'm gonna need a new amp soon, I wanna keep my price under 400.

I was wondering what some of the best amps would be for the price.

I play alot of metal if that helps. But I don't dig too much distort. I like to play with a cleaner, almost neo-classical sound.
But sometimes with the distort.
I would always recommend a Fender Mustang. It is a modeling amp, sure, but that gives it a lot of possibilities for customizing just the sound you want with the included Fender FUSE software, meaning you could practically go crazy. It has presets ranging from totally clean, to jazzy to crunch to mild and heavy distorsion. There are several models (I,II,III,IV,V etc.), that are the same thing (the higher the roman number, the more watts you get, starting from 20) Good luck!
Quote by risk182
I would always recommend a Fender Mustang. It is a modeling amp, sure, but that gives it a lot of possibilities for customizing just the sound you want with the included Fender FUSE software, meaning you could practically go crazy. It has presets ranging from totally clean, to jazzy to crunch to mild and heavy distorsion. There are several models (I,II,III,IV,V etc.), that are the same thing (the higher the roman number, the more watts you get, starting from 20) Good luck!

The mustang has nothing against a Super Champ XD and a 1x12 Ext. Cab!

Super Champ XD is a hybrid Tube/Solid State combo amp.

Now, only at 15 watts, this is a pretty small, but it really kicks!

It has great metal sounds, as it is also a modeling amp.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
The mustang has nothing against a Super Champ XD and a 1x12 Ext. Cab!

Super Champ XD is a hybrid Tube/Solid State combo amp.

Now, only at 15 watts, this is a pretty small, but it really kicks!

It has great metal sounds, as it is also a modeling amp.

I'm not sure about 15 watts, I wanted to go higher, but with such a low price rang I'm not sure if I can.
you can get a ton of different amps for up to 400bucks. If you have the perseverance to buy used look on craigslist, ebay or your local stores you can find tons of really great old combo amps for 400bucks. Dont buy a Marshall MG you can get a 100w combo for 350 or so but its a big piece of crap same with line 6 amps. Buy tube or if your really into metal peavy because its guaranteed high gain saturation and you could get one with a tube pre amp for wide variation of tone. Not the nicest tone but lots of variety and easy to find you will have a choice of 30-100watts of peavy for that price. If you want loads of power for cheap you can get a nice solid state crate head on ebay for under 200bucks and buy a cab for about the same. Roland cube amps go from 130-400 bucks 400 for 80watts. Ibanez tone blaster but it needs lots of pedal love. a Kustom V from the 70's is on ebay for 400 great amp vintage tone. just do some research see what u like possibilities are endless.
+1 to the Super Champ XD. You should be able to keep up with a moderate drummer in a gig scenario if you dime it, or you can always mic it.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
+1 to the Super Champ XD. You should be able to keep up with a moderate drummer in a gig scenario if you dime it, or you can always mic it.

If you dime it, you get a great Tube overdrive!

sadly, I have not had the chance to dime mine without an attenuator, as I live in a lower level apartment.

(I've had to use an attenuator to keep the volume low )

I hope to get it to a jam one day and dime it.

When I want cleans though, I mic it...

The Super champ XD's 16 "Voices" also sound great. My favorites being 3, 8, and 14.
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at May 12, 2011,
^ I'd honestly buy it just for 3 and 16. I'm borrowing it from a friend right now to do some lower volume sets. Consequently, I rarely put the volume past 1/2 for that reason =\
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
crate blue voodoo 120h thats the one i have. the amp seriously can get just about any sound.
plus they sell for CHEAP i got mine for 300 bucks ive seen them lower than that though

+1 t0 the peavey bandit
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right