... you can help me with this simple question/problem.

Basically I bought a used Blackberry 8900 and i'm in Canada if that matters. I'm on pay as you go, no contract and I pay $10/a month for my texting. I wanted to get mobile internet so I could use the Blackberry app world for, BBM, Facebook and MSN. So I called up the number to change account settings and now I pay $10 extra ontop of my texts for unlimited mobile internet browing service on Rogers.

Heres the problem tho, when I went to the app world and downloaded the Facebook App I get this message everytime I use it: "You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application. Please contact your service provider to upgrade your data plan." Well the thing is I didnt buy a data plan just the mobile internet. And I get the same problems when I try to use MSN or add people on BBM.

My BB version is v4.6.1.250 is that up to date enough to use these apps or is the problem with me not having a data plan but only mobile internet or do I need to be on a contract ? Or any other sort of problem. Sorry about the long paragraph but I wanted to add as much detail as I could to figure this out. I would be ever so grateful if someone could inform me as to what I need to do. Thank you.

Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Seems you're not alloed to use the mobile internet. Contact your service provider to upgrade.

Have you tried doing it while connected to a working WI-FI connection?
I would guess they've yet to change the status of your service. You definitely need to call your service provider.

(Where's my cookie?)
I can field this, and I expect my cookie to be massive...

You can't use the Facebook app without a data plan. It requires the data plan subscription to directly connect to the FB servers and pull your information and push it onto your phone, which cuts out the 'middle man' (see: browser). If you want to FB without a data plan, you have to browse it via your phone's browser the old school way.

Cookie, please.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I can field this, and I expect my cookie to be massive...

You can't use the Facebook app without a data plan. It requires the data plan subscription to directly connect to the FB servers and pull your information and push it onto your phone, which cuts out the 'middle man' (see: browser). If you want to FB without a data plan, you have to browse it via your phone's browser the old school way.

Cookie, please.

Question tho before massive cookie, I can use my browser for FB online when im connected to my homes wifi but shouldnt I be able to use wifi when im away from home and use the facebook site, isnt that what mobile internet means ? Cause I cant seem to.
Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
If you're in range of your wifi or one you can connect to, yes. Otherwise no. Mobile internet pretty much means, as it pertains to you cell, anyway, that your mobile phone can function on the internet. It doesn't mean you're a walking internet.

Additionally, mobile internet can also mean your '3G' aspect - which means using the network's 3G data transfer service to browse web pages, albeit a much slower way to do so. This is what counts towards your data per month part of the plan. So basically this -

You can connect to facebook using your 3G service, connecting to a wifi spot, connecting to wireless, but via a 'wired' or 'wifi' connection, which will be used as your internet to connect you to facebook via a traditional manner without data services.

Or

Have data services and use the app, which directly pushes your FB data to your phone via the data plan.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at May 12, 2011,
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're in range of your wifi or one you can connect to, yes. Otherwise no.

I could do that before I paid the $10 extra dollar. So does mobile internet do nothing without a data plan ?
Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
I amended my other post as it was confusing

Re-read, please.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I amended my other post as it was confusing

Re-read, please.

Ah looks like I do need a data plan afterall. Thanks for all your help and as promised

Quote by Thrill-house

Quote by Dopemgs

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
SUCCESS!!!

No problem man. Glad I could help out.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you