Page 1 of 2
Damn, so I have a Squier Strat. Yeah, it's cheap but it will do for a beginner. I had a 10watt amp that came with it but all it had was a Volume knob and an Overdrive knob.

I bought a new amp. Epiphone. Now has Treble, Bass, Mids, and Gain. Also has an overdrive button and Volume ofc. The sound I want to get is a really distorted one like Linkin Park but it never gives me that. Do I really need a Distortion Pedal?

Also, I saw in the internet that to get Distortion, these settings should work:

Guitar Volume : MAX
Amp Volume : Up to you
Mids : High
Bass : Low-Mid
Treble : Low-Mid
Gain : 75%

It still doesn't give the distortion I want. T____T

EDIT : Is it possible that it's because my volume is like at 1? I can't crank it up since I'm in my room.
Last edited by Pwnx at May 12, 2011,
Oh and sorry, I'm not really that pro in guitar. What does scooped mids mean? XD
Try turning the amp volume up. If it's on nearly the lowest volume it can be at, there isn't much push for the gain. Gain will give the distortion/overdrive off the amp, but the amp's volume needs to be turned up to hear it.
scooped mids means that the midrange of the tone is turned right down and the bass and treble are cranked. It's called a scooped sound because on a graphic equaliser, the mids litarally look 'scooped out'. It looks like a smiley face on a graphic EQ. Aulthough i don't think Pantera would call it a 'smiley' tone!
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 12, 2011,
Oh okay. I'll test it out tomorrow with higher Volume and get back to you guys. Thanks!

Question though... how do you guys know that they have scooped mids? You can hear it? Dayum pro.
Last edited by Pwnx at May 12, 2011,
it's a very distinctive sound when you scoop the mids, once you know what it sounds like, you'll always hear it when someone scoops their mids
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Pwnx
Oh okay. I'll test it out tomorrow with higher Volume and get back to you guys. Thanks!

Question though... how do you guys know that they have scooped mids? You can hear it? Dayum pro.

yeah, you can hear when somebody has scooped mids. lots of mids give a guitar tone kind of a honky tone (thats how I describe it, others may do it differently) and its pretty obvious when its not there.

you should try backing the mids off to about 4-6 out of 10, and boosting treble up past halfway to the point that its clearly audible, but not harsh. then, dial in your bass by starting near zero and adding in bass until it sounds flubby (kinda a sloppy, overly bassy sound). once you get there, back the bass off a little bit. this should get you to a good basic tone. remember, turning the amp up will make it sound bigger, and also add more bass; adjust accordingly

also, try not to max the gain too much. too much gain is bad, plain and simple.
Putting the volume on 3 or 4 won't hurt, unless you happen to have a half stack or something equally ridiculous.

Also, does your amp have a headphone output? If so, a set of headphones may be a worthy investment, since you can crank it with headphones on and no-one but you will notice.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Linkin Park doesn't scoop mids. You're looking at about 3 o clock on the bass, 11 o clock on the mids, and 2 o clock on the highs. Gain at about 1 o clock. While the mids are lower, I wouldn't call it scooped. Pantera is scooped, as is early Metallica. Linkin Park's got a more ass heavy rounded sound to it as opposed to full scooping. There are definitely mids in there, though, especially in their newer material.

This is a rough setting, however, and depends on the amp you're using. It's difficult to state a 'generic tone setting' for any sound because of the drastic effect an amp has on the tone.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Linkin Park would have used very expensive rack equipment and effects and professional studio engineering and amps the size of a small car to achieve those sounds. Don't worry if you can't achieve it with a simple little Epiphone amp. Keep practicing til you're good enough to warrant the purchase of a metal amp like a Mesa Boogie or whatever the kids use these days.
Quote by Icarus Lives
Linkin Park would have used very expensive rack equipment and effects and professional studio engineering and amps the size of a small car to achieve those sounds. Don't worry if you can't achieve it with a simple little Epiphone amp. Keep practicing til you're good enough to warrant the purchase of a metal amp like a Mesa Boogie or whatever the kids use these days.

And that's true. They're huge into ProTools and modeling stuff. I can get close with my amp, but I prefer analog, so it'll most likely never be dead on.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
But honestly, do you think I could do something with my Epi amp and Squier Strat? You know, cover something decent. Or are my equipment just plain suckish?
Quote by Pwnx
But honestly, do you think I could do something with my Epi amp and Squier Strat? You know, cover something decent. Or are my equipment just plain suckish?

you can definitely get playable tones out of your rig (which epi amp anyways?). like mentioned above, its unrealistic to expect it to sound like most pro guitarists either because of the amps they use or the pro studio techniques.

that being said, learning how to set-up your gear (that is, learning how the controls on your amp and guitar all interact) should allow you to get decently playable sounds from your current rig.

also, you don't need to sound like the original to cover it. i sure as hell don't when I play weddings and corporate functions and nobody seems to care
Quote by strat0blaster
Linkin Park doesn't scoop mids.

11 o clock on the mids
That's scooped mids. If your mids are below 50%, you're scooping them.

Linkin Park do scoop their mids. They use some pretty mid-heavy and warm amps though so the final sound is more balanced. They use above average treble, something like 80% or so and they always push the bass as far as it will go before it becomes muddy.

Whether your amp is good enough or not depends on what actual model it is. Some Epi amps are alright, others simply aren't. None of them really do metal or hard rock style distortion though. For Linkin Park type sounds you're going to want to get a distortion pedal. Epiphone amps only really go up to classic rock distortion. That's a good enough base but you'll want to use a pedal to add more on top.

Your guitar is probably the weakest link since it has single coil pickups and Linkin Park and other similar tones are done pretty much only with humbuckers. I know Linkin Park only use single coils for clean tones and all their distorted sounds are with humbuckers. That gives them more bass, more mids and less treble and less hum. If you set your guitar's pickup selector switch to the second position, bridge + middle pickups, that will get you closer but it still won't be right. Your guitar and the guitars Linkin Park use are pretty much total opposites. While you're learning your Strat should be fine but if you really want that hard rock, modern metal tone then you're going to want to get something with a warmer tone and humbuckers sooner or later.
The difference is Linkin Park use amps that cost about $3000 - you're not going to get the same sound from a $100 amp regardless of the settings you use.

Epiphone aren't a major amp manufacturer, and the ones I'm familiar with are really geared towards clean or low gain tones, you might get something akin to AC/DC's crunchy tone but certainly nothing approaching Linkin Park's sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Random question... Epiphone Les Paul. Good enough or not?
Quote by Pwnx
Random question... Epiphone Les Paul. Good enough or not?

Epi Les Paul Standard's or Studio's are very good enough indeed!

A Squier Strat is a good beginners guitar as well though. If you're just beginning, don't look to upgrade the gear too fast, just enjoy learning to play.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Last edited by bkmurff at May 12, 2011,
I'm not sure about the model. I swear. I think I got a fake one. XD

Studio 30CDx is all it says. So gonna pick the right equipment next time. Also, any suggestions for modern songs I can play with this equipment? Not that distorted? And, this knob here in my strat. The one with 5 choices. Someone explain please.
Distortion is mainly an Amp and Pedal thing.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by Pwnx
I'm not sure about the model. I swear. I think I got a fake one. XD

Studio 30CDx is all it says. So gonna pick the right equipment next time. Also, any suggestions for modern songs I can play with this equipment? Not that distorted? And, this knob here in my strat. The one with 5 choices. Someone explain please.

5 position switch for which pick-ups are being used:

1 - bridge pick-up only
2 - bridge and middle pick-up
3 - bridge, middle, and neck pick-up
4 - middle and neck pick-up
5- neck pick-up only
- Stephen F. Roberts
And the sound it produces? Yeah I know I can determine that myself, but just tell me. XD
Yeah, your amp is real, but its' prolly a crappy amp to begin with, cause I couldn't' find anything on it, they don't even sell them anymore. Most likely a cheap practice amp that comes in starter kits.

I'd start saving up for better gear, but all you can really do is play around with amp, or, just start practicing your skills, and don't focus on your tone atm, that's what I had to do when I was first starting out.
Damn. I wish I was rich. XD

Oh wellz. Gonna practice tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote by Pwnx
And the sound it produces? Yeah I know I can determine that myself, but just tell me. XD

Bridge only will give you higher tones, Neck only will give you lower tones. All the options in between are just gradual steps from high to low.
- Stephen F. Roberts
you may want to consider a pickup swap.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Killer-White-Humbucker-Humbucker-Strats-3-Versions-Available_p_463.html

I have a low output one of these in the neck position of my guitar. I ts leaps an bounds better than my old stock neck pickup, and my old stock pickups were better than stock squire. these may not be the exact tone your tlooking for, i think true humbuckers would be better but you would have to buy a new pickgaurd for that. still could be done fairly cheaply if you can solder/know someone who can.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/WhiteBlackWhite-HSS-Pickguard-fits-Strat_p_855.html
no sir away a papaya war is on
It's as simple as a pedal. Most distortion pedals will give you something very close to the hybrid theory/meteora sound. My boss ds 1 is very versatile and I got the exact sound that's on one step closer. A pedal would be the best idea. If you get one turn the tone to 11 and the dist to around 2.

I am basing this of a ds1 so if your getting another one just experiment. let's not forget that brad uses a prs custom which have that distinct prs sound.
Quote by JKHC
It's as simple as a pedal. Most distortion pedals will give you something very close to the hybrid theory/meteora sound. My boss ds 1 is very versatile and I got the exact sound that's on one step closer. A pedal would be the best idea. If you get one turn the tone to 11 and the dist to around 2.

I am basing this of a ds1 so if your getting another one just experiment. let's not forget that brad uses a prs custom which have that distinct prs sound.

Yes custom 24 I believe.

But anyway yes if your distortion built in to the amp isnt enough for you you can always consider adding a distortion pedal until you can afford a new amp. Normally you will want to upgrade the amp first as you will notice more of a difference in tone than if you upgrade the guitar first. Unless your guitar is completley unplayable. I used my starter guitar for about a year and a half and the only reason I got a new one is because a friend was selling his old one for cheap.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
So is a Squier playable in your standards? Cause I'm confused on what to save up for first. Pedal, amp or guitar. T___T
Quote by Pwnx
So is a Squier playable in your standards? Cause I'm confused on what to save up for first. Pedal, amp or guitar. T___T

what you is a new amp.
Quote by gregs1020
what you need is a new amp.

this.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Well, if you can afford a distortion pedal, get one. You can find a good one for under $50 and used for about $20. I use the Boss DS-1 which is very versatile and can deliver the Linkin Park tones(Im a huge fan).

If you are willing to wait for results, a decent combo amp with good built-in distortion would be around $150-250 on the cheap side.

Next, you'd upgrade the guitar. The squier is terrible as it is. Get something with humbuckers. The epiphones les pauls for $200 are good for the price but do some research.
Quote by Pwnx

It is playable for now since you are just starting out. Basically you want to upgrade in my opinion as your skills improve. If you can get a decent cheap pedal than go for it but other than that save up for a new amp. I got my peavy valveking 112 for $250 used at my local shop and it sounds great. Which was almost half of what they had it marked new.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Pwnx

It is perfectly fine

When YOU can tell that its not "playable to your standards" then you upgrade.

If you need to save up then it all depends on how long you can wait, if you cant wait and must have a more distorted sound then get a decent pedal, but if you can save up longer ($300+) you can get a nice amp.

As for songs you can play until then look back to the classics of Rock for inspiration, you may even learn something that you can take through to other genres
Page 1 of 2