Sorry if this is in the wrong forums section.

I have a Line 6 Spider 3, these are my settings:
DRIVE - 7
BASS - 4
MID - 0
TREBLE - 10

The thing is, I want a higher pitch sound that what I already have. Any suggestions?
...a higher pitch, huh? /solidsnake

I don't really understand what you mean. Amp settings are not going to affect pitch.
What?

Erm add some mids.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jesus Christ that sounds like the worst tone ever. A Spider 3 with 0 mids and maxed out treble? Turn your mids back up to at least 6, roll the treble down to at least 8 and it wouldn't hurt to put the bass back up to at least 5. Go through the different amp models, some of them are brighter sounding than others. The only way to get an okay tone out of a Spider is to keep the EQ pretty much all around the middle or just beyond the middle and use the amp models to pick your tone instead of the EQ. If you think your tone is too thick even though a Spider which is alwasy a thin-sounding amp then it's probably your guitar. Your guitar is basswood, mahogany and rosewood with humbuckers, that's a thick-sounding guitar. For a thinner sound you're really going to want a Telecaster or Strat or something like that.
If you want higher pitch, tune your guitar higher or play higher on the neck....

If you want more top end out of your amp, I'd suggest boosting your mids some and god forbid, turning your gain up.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
No mids = crap

So your mid range instrument has no mids? Can't figure out why your tone sucks?

Take the advice of the others and boost your mids and lower the treble.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by grohl1987
Jesus Christ that sounds like the worst tone ever. A Spider 3 with 0 mids and maxed out treble? Turn your mids back up to at least 6, roll the treble down to at least 8 and it wouldn't hurt to put the bass back up to at least 5. Go through the different amp models, some of them are brighter sounding than others. The only way to get an okay tone out of a Spider is to keep the EQ pretty much all around the middle or just beyond the middle and use the amp models to pick your tone instead of the EQ. If you think your tone is too thick even though a Spider which is alwasy a thin-sounding amp then it's probably your guitar. Your guitar is basswood, mahogany and rosewood with humbuckers, that's a thick-sounding guitar. For a thinner sound you're really going to want a Telecaster or Strat or something like that.

I should have mentioned it's on the insane channel. I'm into thrash metal. So I'm going for a sort of crispy distorted sound. Don't be so harsh, I know nothing about guitar amps. I don't mean higher sorry, I mean brighter, well, something that isn't low frequency if you know what I mean.
Quote by Dethros
I should have mentioned it's on the insane channel. I'm into thrash metal. So I'm going for a sort of crispy distorted sound. Don't be so harsh, I know nothing about guitar amps. I don't mean higher sorry, I mean brighter, well, something that isn't low frequency if you know what I mean.

ADD SOME MIDS!!!! without mids, there is no way to get a bright guitar tone. Also, try backing the gain off a little, that little speaker cannot possibly handle the gain that amp can produce
Quote by krehzeekid
ADD SOME MIDS!!!! without mids, there is no way to get a bright guitar tone. Also, try backing the gain off a little, that little speaker cannot possibly handle the gain that amp can produce

Ok thanks, thanks for actually being nice to me and not insulting me in some kind of way. I really don't know anything about guitar amps and what treble and mids do etc.
Quote by Dethros

First off: low frequency refers to pitch. Pitch is frequency - the differences between the notes you play, basically. I'm not trying to be smarmy, just clarifying.

It's been a long time since I got rid of my Spider III. Spider III with low bass, no mids, and dimed treble? That doesn't merely sound bad, that sounds painful. My ears hurt just imagining that.

I do think I know what you mean, however. Frankly, you're probably not going to get very good sound with a SIII but let's see what we can do. Consider using a channel other than Insane. I think I mostly stuck to... I think it was the red-light setting on the 2 o'clock position on the models knob, with the gain maxed, for metal. Possibly try the 3 o'clock position too. And as everyone else has said, for the love of God, raise your mids.

What guitar are you playing? And what sort of thrash sounds are you looking for in particular?
Wait, it's a spider 2, I just realised I made the mistake. I have a Crafter Convoy FM, I know, it's a terrible guitar. I'm going to get a Jackson JS30KV King V. I'm looking for a sound similar to Megadeth, but I know I'm not going to get a good enough sound out of the amp.
You'll be able to get something decent out of the amp. They aren't as bad as most on here make them sound. For bedroom use.. they could be far worse.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Stop using the Insane channel, it might have an exciting sounding name but the truth of the matter is it's unusable - it bears no resemblance to any sound you'll hear on a recording or at a gig.

Use one of the other models, turn the mids up and maybe turn the master volume up a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by krehzeekid
Brightness has nothing to do with mids. If anything scooping the mids accentuates highs.
Quote by al112987
Brightness has nothing to do with mids. If anything scooping the mids accentuates highs.

Couldn't disagree more. I can't recall ever hearing an amp sound brighter with scooped mids than with non-scooped mids. Brightness has a lot to do with mids. It also has a lot to do with treble, certainly. But saying it doesn't have anything to do with mids is just wrong, imo.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
Last edited by 3074326 at May 12, 2011,
with those settings, you should be in a black metal band...

OT: yea cranck up those mids, your sound will be a lot better

gear
-Richwood: stratocaster
-Ibanez: RG7321
-Fender: Fm 212R
-Line 6: Floorpod
-Epiphone: G-400
-Squier: P bass
-ESP: LTD MH-50NT
Will turning the mids up produce a warmer, crispier like that in the Rust In Peace album by Megadeth?
Megadeth is actually pretty trebly. Add some mids to like 2 'o clock, drop the bass to 11 'o clock, add treble as you see fit. Use the bridge humbucker, and STAY AWAY FROM THE INSANE CHANNEL. That helps alot
Quote by al112987

not necessarily. depending on the amp, and which specific frequencies the mid control actually effects, its quite possible to brighten the tone by boosting the mids (true, a low mid boost will darken the sound). also, on many amps, highs control over-tones rather than the fundamental, thus boosting them can add edge to the sound, but doesn't necessarily brighten it.

the best thing to do is to play with the knobs and see what they do on your amp!! go into extreme settings just to see what happens. this is the only way to really know what your amp can and cannot do
Quote by Lord_Doku
Megadeth is actually pretty trebly. Add some mids to like 2 'o clock, drop the bass to 11 'o clock, add treble as you see fit. Use the bridge humbucker, and STAY AWAY FROM THE INSANE CHANNEL. That helps alot

At last. Thanks! And can you please refer to the actual numbers for the knobs instead of using 8 'o clock etc.
Quote by Dethros
At last. Thanks! And can you please refer to the actual numbers for the knobs instead of using 8 'o clock etc.

Because that is so hard to figure out?

Beginning to think this a troll thread.
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by Air_Vengeance
Because that is so hard to figure out?

Beginning to think this a troll thread.

Well it's kind of confusing. A troll thread? Are you serious...?
I don't think you'll get any kind of good sound with the mids completely scooped out.

Turn the mids to about 6, highs to in between 7 and 8. Bass 7.
That should give you a good tone for what you seem to want.
If not, turn them all to 5 and start dialing from there. It is possible to get decent tone out of a Line 6 Spider amp (despite what the bandwagon will tell you), you just need to know that on a Line 6, no mids = no tone.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 13, 2011,
Quote by PsiGuy60
I don't think you'll get any kind of good sound with the mids completely scooped out.

Turn the mids to about 6, highs to in between 7 and 8. Bass 7.
That should give you a good tone for what you seem to want.
If not, turn them all to 5 and start dialing from there. It is possible to get decent tone out of a Line 6 Spider amp (despite what the bandwagon will tell you), you just need to know that on a Line 6, no mids = no tone.

Ok thanks mate. What would be the best amp to get for around £300/$500?
For that budget, you'll probably want something like a Blackstar HT-5, or a Jet City JCA2112RC if you can find one for that price. They usually go for a little more expensive, though.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.