Okay, so I got a Mac because my PS crapped the bed. It came with Garage Band. I need some sort of multi-track recording softwhere that will let me record multiple live tracks, edit and mixdown. Will Garage Band do that? So far I'm finding that everything seems to have to "snap" to the beat that it has set up and I can really get in and edit each individual wave. I used Cool Edit Pro on my PC. Can anyone offer some advice on how to use Garage Band to record live tracks and edit them? Maybe a link to a walkthrough even?
I've got a bunch of ideas right now that I want to put down and have no outlet...
(also, I'd be willing to spend up to about $150 on software if ABSOLUTELY necessary but really want to avoid spending anything if possible)
Thanks!
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
i have had my mac for about a year and a half and i use a digitech rp 500 and usb connect to run my guitar through. i also hook up mics through it. i am very new to this so these might seem like child's play but it helps me get ideas down and has helped me make my ep
I have mics and what-not for recording. I'm not worried about processing. I mic my guitar cab, so the rp 500 isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks though!

As for the turn of "snap to", I'll do that.

Still though, with cool edit pro, I could record a track and then manipulate each track in various ways. Suppose I wanted to completely sicence the track for a few seconds, I could zoom in to the spots where I wanted to silence and fade them out and back in. I could put some echo on one note. I could eq and normalize the whole thing or various parts of the track. I'm not seeing how to do this kinds of things with GB, and not fully sure that they can be done. Looking for a tutorial of sorts I guess. I'll keep searching the web and youtube I guess.
Guitars:
Gibson SG
'96 Fender Strat
Ibanez AS120

Amps:
100w All tube 2x12 custom

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron
EP Boost
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
RAH OD
Strymon Lex
Timeline
TC Trinity
Garageband works perfect for me. You might need to take your time figure out all the possibilities, but it works just fine for multitracks