Hi guys, I have been practicing the pentatonic scale and got it up to eighth notes at 160 bpm and don't see the benefits of practicing faster than that. Do you guys think I should and if so to what speed?
Not really, you focus on being able to play it correctly rather than fast. If you try and play fast you'll just get frustrated. You might wanna practice different scales or modes don't limit yourself to the pentatonic.
it depends what your music tastes are but like the last guy said you should play good instead of fast
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
There's plenty of stuff you could look into. For starters, you could play the major and pentatonic scale in several positions and all keys if you didn't already, And also you'd be wise to learn the Major and Minor scales in all keys in all possible positions. Also you could look into the theory behind it, as it really simplifies matters if you actually know what you're playing and why . If that's not enough, you can start noodling with stuff like harmonic and melodic minor and different modes.

There's absolutely a point in practicing faster for the sake of dexterity and if that's your goal, there's a lot of other exercises you ought to look into. There's always stuff to learn.

When it comes to the speed, there's no harm in going very fast, but do practice it at the tempo where you can play it flawlessly. It's boring, but trust me, it will save you a lot of work later, as the option will most likely be to go back and correct bad habits at a later point. When you've got it down perfectly, you should push it up about 5 BPM, learn it flawlessly and push it up.
Quote by ziggymidget
There's plenty of stuff you could look into. For starters, you could play the major and pentatonic scale in several positions and all keys if you didn't already, And also you'd be wise to learn the Major and Minor scales in all keys in all possible positions. Also you could look into the theory behind it, as it really simplifies matters if you actually know what you're playing and why . If that's not enough, you can start noodling with stuff like harmonic and melodic minor and different modes.

There's absolutely a point in practicing faster for the sake of dexterity and if that's your goal, there's a lot of other exercises you ought to look into. There's always stuff to learn.

When it comes to the speed, there's no harm in going very fast, but do practice it at the tempo where you can play it flawlessly. It's boring, but trust me, it will save you a lot of work later, as the option will most likely be to go back and correct bad habits at a later point. When you've got it down perfectly, you should push it up about 5 BPM, learn it flawlessly and push it up.

ttoooooo lllllooooonnnngggggg
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
Quote by pasnu
Hi guys, I have been practicing the pentatonic scale and got it up to eighth notes at 160 bpm and don't see the benefits of practicing faster than that. Do you guys think I should and if so to what speed?

80 bpm 16ths

What do you plan on playing?
Unless you're going to be playing slow music (IMO ) for the rest of your life, then you're fine where you are.

Are you even going to use this scale? What do you listen to? etc

Ideally a seasoned guitarist should be able to do all different scales (like major/minor/diatonic.../harmonic minor/arpeggios/pentatonic...etc) at around ~120-140 bpm 16th's (to you this is 240-280 bpm 8ths), this way they can play pretty much all musical genres minus solos.
Quote by pasnu

There's no benefits to playing it at 160 even, in fact there's not really any benefit to being able to play through the pentatonic scale quickly, it's not even worth worrying how fast you can play it.

What you need to do is learn how the scale works musically, how the notes function and ultimately how you can use it.

Worry about whether you can play the music you want to at the required speed, not how fast you can burn through a scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com