I really love teaching guitar to people. My one problem right now though is that i'm going to start teaching two kids who are complete beginners how to play and I have no idea where to start. What should I teach the first couple lessons? I was thinking 2 or 3 chords and the chromatic scale etc. Then i figured that would be really boring to teach just that? Anybody know what I should do? Like a lesson plan or something for the first couple lessons. Once I get past the really basic stuff I find it really easy to teach people.
Teach them some basic chords and then apply them to some songs to keep it interesting. Then continue to scales and more chords.
yup...

dont forget your finger excersizes....
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
I find teaching chords is a lot more rewarding for the pupil.

But for the complete beginner, start with showing how to hold it and hand position. Start with one note melodies and make sure they are fretting the notes properly and picking with the right fingers instead of down-thumbing everything.

As for melodies, do something like Happy Birthday or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Y'know, basic nursery rhyme melodies.
I would first teach them the basic chords, then maybe some scales, and then maybe a song, then go from there.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Fender Standard Telecaster HH Black (SH-5/'59)
-Fender Standard Stratocaster HH White (Nazgul/'59)
-Austin Guitars Les Paul Goldtop Copy (Distortion/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+
-Peavey Stereo Chorus 2x12 Combo
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo
-Marshall MX2x12 Cabinet

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I wouldn't suggest starting with the chromatic scale. For a complete noob the chromatic scale is just a finger exercise and I don't think most beginners are going to find motivation in that until they're already having fun. I'd just at least wait a couple weeks. That's just me.
Last edited by Macabre_Turtle at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I wouldn't suggest starting with the chromatic scale. For a complete noob the chromatic scale is just a finger exercise and I don't think most beginners are going to find motivation in that until they're already having fun. I'd just at least wait a couple weeks. That's just me.

I can see what you mean. When I had my first lesson my teacher taught me the chromatic scale as a finger exercise, which is what I intended.
Stay off of anything theory/ technique based for a while. Obviously teach them how to hold a plectrum, the guitar etc. Just teach them say 4 open chords and find as many songs as you can that involve using just those chords, just to give them a confidence boost.
Power chords. then major chords. then minor chords. then the pentatonic patterns. while making sure you teach the theory behind what there doing.
Do this

-8-7-6-5------------------
-----------8-7-6-5--------
--------------------8-7-6-5-

Then teach them the CAGED chords
Then teach them some easy 3 chord song and move up from there.

Make sure you explain the very basic theory behind the chords.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!