So im interested in playing some Metalcore, just to get a feel for playing it....but i have no idea where to start.......help? Any songs/ riffs that r must know? Thanks in advance....
Scoop the mids and work on right hand strengh since your left hand won't be doing much. Check out techs like gallop.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Custom Painted Rogue Dreadnought
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
Morley Tremonti Power Wah
Fuzz Fucker(handbuilt fuzz factory clone)
Im also interested in this, Ive neglected to learn to play any metal stuff since I started taking guitar seriously a few years ago, focusing on my new found love of blues, but I wish I had the skill to play some chugga chugga metal rhythms and keep up with metalcore guys so Im starting to practice downpicking and stuff. I suggest some Avenged Sevenfold stuff for not too difficult metal rhythms but Im gonna keep an eye on this thread for any other suggestions.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
All that remains- Fall of Ideals album.
Great riffage, pretty easy IMO except the crazy solos by Oli.
Six, empty inside are my twO favs from the album to play.

Some A7x (yea yea not metalcore, hard rock.... I dont care) like beast and the harlot and Unholy Confessions.

The sound of truth by as i lay dying is pretty easy.

Crusade (instrumental) by Trivium is easy and fun (not the solo)

IMO metalcore is junk now, but avoid KSE and you'll be ok.
My advice would be just avoiding the whole genre. It's bad to just skip the reality of playing and just spam low C and such stuff. You'd better be off learning some other genres, that would make you a better guitarist. Learning thrash/speed/heavy/death/power/progressive metal licks is way more fun than metalcore anyway.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
My advice would be just avoiding the whole genre. It's bad to just skip the reality of playing and just spam low C and such stuff. You'd better be off learning some other genres, that would make you a better guitarist. Learning thrash/speed/heavy/death/power/progressive metal licks is way more fun than metalcore anyway.

Dont get me wrong, i love me some heavy metal.....its just I feel like working my way through metalcore first...
Quote by Bladerx
Dont get me wrong, i love me some heavy metal.....its just I feel like working my way through metalcore first...

Well, start with Breaking the Law then!
Seriously though, metalcore is just multiple genres in one with very annoying singers.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by DimebagZappa

IMO metalcore is junk now, but avoid KSE and you'll be ok.

... I like KSE
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Sakke
Well, start with Breaking the Law then!
Seriously though, metalcore is just multiple genres in one with very annoying singers.

Lol, nevr thought of core that way.....
I kinda agree, skip the metalcore, and just go to some progressive metal like circle of contempt. You almost force yourself to become better faster. Helped me anyway.
Scoop the mids just means turn the mids down on your amp.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
The way I see metalcore, it's kind of a combination of all metal guitar techniques. (With mostly annoying singers.)

The best bands of the genre (in my opinion), are All That Remains, As I Lay Dying, and Darkest Hour. And the reason I say that is that all three of them have their own sound. I used to like KSE but I just can't stomach them anymore. Too much soft stuff. And All That Remains is heading down that path too, lol....

Anyway, I digress.

To play well-rounded metalcore, you need to have a broad range of skills. First and foremost, you need to be able to play heavy palm-muted riffs, with lots of galloping. You can learn that from thrash players too. Most bands in the genre also downtune quite a bit. Drop C is not uncommon. As far as lead playing goes, the sky is the limit. All that Remains and Darkest Hour use sweep picking quite a bit. As I Lay Dying doesn't use too many solos, but they're starting to increase that in their albums; mostly fast alternate picked stuff. Most metalcore bands use tremelo picking to a certain extent in a lot of their lead-melody lines as well. But they're not using the really "dark" scales that you hear in black metal, nor are they tremolo picking chords the way black metal guys do. It's kind of hard to explain unless you listen to both genres...

Hope that helps.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at May 12, 2011,
Herp derp, m37alc0re 1z f0ar t3h fagz, yeh?!

You guys are a bunch of dicks, don't rag on the guy's musical taste just because you don't like it. He wants to learn some songs so either contribute in some meaningful way or gtfo.

Quote by Bladerx
So im interested in playing some Metalcore, just to get a feel for playing it....but i have no idea where to start.......help? Any songs/ riffs that r must know? Thanks in advance....

Well where do you want to start? I mean there must be bands that you like or riffs or songs that you've listened to and thought "Oooohhhh, I want to be able to do that!" so learn those things.

Key elements are, though: rhythm, you must have an internal metronome to rival the real thing, if the rhythm is off even slightly it won't work; palm muting, you must have a good strong palm muted sound, it's got to sound chunky and powerful but without losing definition or pitch; and picking, you picking has got to be relaxed and consistent, if you don't have a picking hand that's strong then you won't have much luck with the genre so practice your down picking, gallop picking and straight alternate picking.

Don't worry about the lead work, there's a decent amount of room for individual style in that even within one band's work so concentrate on the rhythm and the riffs for now. Once you can do those things then the solos will fit as long as you know what you're doing.

Edit: Don't scoop your mids. You will never be heard in a band situation if you do and tones like that sound like arse anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 12, 2011,
Thanks all who've responded. Along with this i think i'll take some progressive metal up too...............
Quote by mtshark
BTBAM. Always relevant. Always.

This :P

But seriously... if you wanted to play metalcore, wouldnt you have some idea in your head of what you wanted to play? We all have different tastes and skill levels and you know what you can and would like to play?
Besides, genres are overrated lol. I know people who would call KSE death metal lol.

So i suppose what i am saying is; what is your preference lol? Any metalcore bands that YOU like or would like to play?
I always found the guitars in August Burns Red to be outstanding, but perhaps not the easiest to teach yourself. Protest The Hero are even more technically crazy and really inspiring to listen to.
Maybe try as i lay dyings through struggle, its not really difficult and the 1st verse riff is a lot of fun to play
Quote by Hydra150
I wish I had the skill to play some chugga chugga metal rhythms and keep up with metalcore guys

lolwhat
Ignore everyone here and learn to play The Saddest Day and Jane Doe by Converge and you'll be golden.
As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security
Trivium - Ascendancy
All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals/This Darkened Heart
To start off i´d say avenged sevenfold / Bullet for my valentine.

Then move on to KSE, All that remains and august burns red.

Then As i lay dying and between the buried and me.

But thats just my opinion, that´s what im doing and im progressing pretty well.

If you want to look into prog metal as you said before i´ve got to say dream theater and symphony x, hands down.
Trivium isn't really a good starter band for semi-core bands. They're more a thrash band nowadays. What metalcore they played was pretty tough stuff almost without exception, especially the leads. All That Remains isn't metalcore at all. They're pretty much just trendy metal. Their leads are pretty ludicrous too.

As I Lay Dying is only good if you take their stuff from Shadows are Security or earlier. An Ocean Between Us and The Powerless Rise are both fairly challenging (though a couple songs off of Powerless Rise are easy, like Parallels). Killswitch and ABR are both fairly straightforward.

If you want real metalcore, however, I strongly recommend avoiding the trendier bands like AILD, Trivium, Killswitch, and ABR. Look at bands like Converge and Shai Hulud, both of which were among the first to fuse metal and hardcore. Their music is pretty simple as far as technique goes (generally speaking), but they tend to border on progressive on occassion (especially newer Shai Hulud releases like Misanthropy Pure).
after reading all these replies all I have to say is...honestly..no one should tell anyone to "skip" any genre seriously?? It WILL definitely make you a better guitarist and musician in general to learn metalcores style...learning different styles broadens your *riff base or lick book* w/e you wanna call it making you able to write more hooky and catchy music...hell I play almost all styles *except country twang...but Id learn it if I had the patience O.o* but Im in a metalcore band..??? Play what you want to play not what someone else says you should play...

As for learning the metalcorezzz lol I started with As I lay Dying really...The Album that has darkest nights on it *cant remember???* KillSwitches first album with Howard *the end of heartache*...Triviums *Ascendency* album...All that Remains *fall of ideals* album...Atreyu *the bleeding mascara album???* Bullet for my valentine..thier older albums will help you more than anything now...theyve actually gotten easier to play *except for leads*...and a couple AX7 songs here and there...

Just download the GP5 files..then use the speed trainer to slow them down..and learn them that way..this is way faster than trying to start out as fast as the song.. thats how i did it and am still doing it when i want to learn something new thats blazin ahah good luck
Quote by heartsshadow
after reading all these replies all I have to say is...honestly..no one should tell anyone to "skip" any genre seriously?? It WILL definitely make you a better guitarist and musician in general to learn metalcores style...learning different styles broadens your *riff base or lick book* w/e you wanna call it making you able to write more hooky and catchy music...hell I play almost all styles *except country twang...but Id learn it if I had the patience O.o* but Im in a metalcore band..??? Play what you want to play not what someone else says you should play...

As for learning the metalcorezzz lol I started with As I lay Dying really...The Album that has darkest nights on it *cant remember???* KillSwitches first album with Howard *the end of heartache*...Triviums *Ascendency* album...All that Remains *fall of ideals* album...Atreyu *the bleeding mascara album???* Bullet for my valentine..thier older albums will help you more than anything now...theyve actually gotten easier to play *except for leads*...and a couple AX7 songs here and there...

Just download the GP5 files..then use the speed trainer to slow them down..and learn them that way..this is way faster than trying to start out as fast as the song.. thats how i did it and am still doing it when i want to learn something new thats blazin ahah good luck

Why can't everyone who comes around here be as helpful as you. Those are all great suggestions, I was about to say learn "the end of heartache", its a super easy riff, is very catchy, sounds pretty metal, and KSE teaches you how to play it on youtube for free.

Just type KSE lesson and "my curse" and "the end of heartache" come up at least, maybe more.