Yo UG. I've become an eBay connoisseur of sorts, and I found a UV777 for a damn good price. No visible flaws, and everything is stock. Thing is, I don't play like Vai musically or technically, so I'm wondering if it's the best choice. My current options for a 7 string are as follows:

An Ibanez RG1527 with... Mystery pickups but sounds good.
An Ibanez UV777 as I stated
Or I can save for a John Petrucci Musicman.

I play Metal, Metalcore, Death Metal, Powermetal, Prog Metal eventually, Thrash, Melodeath, Symphonic stuff... among other genres. My favorite bands are Opeth, Killswitch engage, dream theater, Metallica, as I lay dying, scar symmetry, kamelot, tool, and some others I know I've forgotten.

My amp is a Mesa Mark IV with a recto cab. I also have an ISP Decimator G String.

Basically, will the UV fit my style?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
If you can afford it.

go for it, fantastically awesome instrument.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yes it will fit your style. The main differences between an RG and a Universe are that the universe neck is probably a little thicker than the RG and the frets are slightly thicker. Some people love playing shred but absolutely hate the feel of these necks so if you can find a Jem at a local store first, I recommend playing on it a bit before you decide.

As for it being a good price, I just have to warn you, there's a shit ton of fake Jems and Universes out there and ebay and craigslist are full of them. If you're unsure about it, post pictures up at this site and ask them.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/is-this-a-fake-jem-uv-here-amp-only-here-is-where-to-ask-amp-discuss-45348.html

edit: correction: both guitars do have basswood bodies, I was thinking universes were alder but I was wrong.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Last edited by YngwieLi at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Darkflame
never heard of the Ibby UV though

are u srs???
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i'd go for the rg, because i don't like the uv's neck.
but that's just my personal preference.
What?
Well, pretty much anything you've stated and with that kind of amp. It can also do that Vai stuff you know, you should probably listen to his stuff too if you're going to buy his "signature" guitar
However, you should really get the chance to test them. Guitar necks are different and I think that a 7-string guitar should have a really good neck for shredding and it should not feel too "cardboard" nor too thick.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at May 12, 2011,
Quote by YngwieLi
Yes it will fit your style. The main differences between an RG and a Universe are that the universe neck is probably a little thicker than the RG and the frets are slightly thicker. Some people love playing shred but absolutely hate the feel of these necks so if you can find a Jem at a local store first, I recommend playing on it a bit before you decide.

As for it being a good price, I just have to warn you, there's a shit ton of fake Jems and Universes out there and ebay and craigslist are full of them. If you're unsure about it, post pictures up at this site and ask them.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f29/is-this-a-fake-jem-uv-here-amp-only-here-is-where-to-ask-amp-discuss-45348.html

edit: correction: both guitars do have basswood bodies, I was thinking universes were alder but I was wrong.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely bring this thing by them. Are the necks on the Universes any different from the JEM's though? A guitar center near my house has a JEM, but not a Universe.

Quote by Sakke
Well, pretty much anything you've stated and with that kind of amp. It can also do that Vai stuff you know, you should probably listen to his stuff too if you're going to buy his "signature" guitar.

Well yeah. I'm not EXTREMELY familiar with Vai's stuff, but I love his skills. Everything I've heard from him I've really liked. "For the Love of God" is pretty awesome, for instance. He's got a pretty good tone too, gotta say.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at May 12, 2011,
The Ibanez UV777 is the best 7, not including J Customs, that Ibanez currently make, its an awesome guitar whether you like Vai or not.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, here's the item listing if you guys can tell whether or not it's fake: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250817703080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
I don't think its fake since the seller has a reserve price.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't think its fake since the seller has a reserve price.

I'm not super keen on my knowledge of the Universe series Ibanez guitars but doesn't the UV777 normally have a 5 piece neck? Unless it's just an older molder and they were introduced later in the model line... just looking out and am curious myself.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Save for the Music Man; you'll never regret it.

I own 3 Japanese-made Ibanez guitars, and I've played my friend's UV7BK. The Music Man JP is the best guitar I've ever played.

EDIT: And I'm pretty sure that's a UV777BK.

EDIT^2: Here's a link to Jemsite's page on the UV series, comparing all of the models. The one you're looking at has white pyramid inlays, which already narrows it down to either the UV7PWH or the UV777BK. The UV7PWH was white, so it's definitely a UV777BK.

The one you're looking at also has the AANJ, and the UV777BK is the only UV that's been made with it.

From what I can see, it's real.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at May 12, 2011,