Page 1 of 2
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20062398-281.html

Ok so they're trying to stop piratical websites. The thing is, sites like the pirate bay don't actually host anything illegal. Just torrents. And torrents don't host anything either. They connect you to user who host files.

But how much longer until they start censoring websites because they simply don't like them?

Wanna help reject this act? http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/protectip_docs/
Last edited by metaldud536 at May 12, 2011,
The US government can suck my dick....

....However, due to the UK being the US's lapdog, I'll still sign the petition.
Quote by Spartan101400
This probably won't help, but signed anyway.

I know. I've signed like 10 of these petitions. From stopping the Comcast-NBC merger, to reviving the Patriot Act and this. I don't think it helps. But you are the Internet Ambassador
Honestly, I think this is a better method on wasting time and money shutting down site after site, while others open right up to take their place. But you do have a point, how long until they censor, say, The Pit because it's "immoral"? It has the power to greatly damage the internet.
Pirating is bad but I still do it. But when I download a cd I really like I try to buy it if I have the money. But yea censorship is worse...... going to go sign
signed a petition to get Warren Zevon inducted into RnR hall of fame... didnt work
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by metaldud536
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20062398-281.html

Ok so they're trying to stop piratical websites. The thing is, sites like the pirate bay don't actually host anything illegal. Just torrents. And torrents don't host anything either. They connect you to user who host files.

But how much longer until they start censoring websites because they simply don't like them?

Wanna help reject this act? http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/protectip_docs/

I'm sorry, but that seems really silly to me. I think you're all just afraid you're going to have to start paying for music again.
*flameshield up*
Quote by stratdud39

I'm sorry, but that seems really silly to me. I think you're all just afraid you're going to have to start paying for music again.
*flameshield up*

Go have a look at China.
You should hijack a plane to prove your point.

Also, I would sign, but I'm Canadian. America doesn't take us seriously, whatyado, eh?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yep, Government would never abuse their power.

I'm just saying I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing currently...I'm not trying to kiss the government's ass (this is as close as I've ever gotten to that). I seriously don't think they're going to start closing down sites that they "don't like".
iirc napster tried the same defense of their service. they argued in their lawsuit that they dont actually host any of the files, rather all the downloading takes place between users. the court found that because napster hosted and created an index of all the files, that it was essentially the same thing as hosting the files themselves. they also cited that because of the indexing, napster knew fully well that users where transferring copyrighted material with their service and because napster did nothing to attempt to prevent it, and in some ways encouraged it with the indexing, they were liable for the copyright infringement. at least i think thats about the jist of it. its been awhile since the cyberlaw course i took that discussed it.

i dont think that modern torrent hosts are much different, seeing as many hosts index the torrent files.

but i dont really care. i download all my movies, tv, and music. its been years since the last time ive gone to/bought a movie, bought a tv show boxset, or went to a concert/bought a CD. and i dont feel badly about it. i think that if we consider movies, tv, and music art, we should not make it contingent that only those with money are privy to the transfer of information that it contains.

this type of a bill has the potential to be abused and im not for the upholding of any type of censorship.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Last edited by NoLaurelTree000 at May 12, 2011,
Quote by stratdud39
I'm just saying I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing currently...I'm not trying to kiss the government's ass (this is as close as I've ever gotten to that). I seriously don't think they're going to start closing down sites that they "don't like".

That would never happen, can you imagine the uproar that would ensue if they started doing that.
Quote by stratdud39

It happens all the time. And one of the provisions of the bill is any copyright holder can claim infringement and have a site shut down without due process.

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-to-introduce-draconian-anti-piracy-censorship-bill-110511/
Quote by stratdud39

*flameshield up*

I completely agree
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by robhc
The US should really mind their own god damn mother ****ing business...

It is their business......literally.
Quote by L2112Lif

Really?

Yeah sure, why not. What's the worst that can happen?

Quote by Lost Dog
We're actually on the list of "watch lists" due to the fact so many Canadians pirate stuff and the government doesn't do much to stop it

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2009/04/30/copyright-piracy.html

...That actually doesn't surprise me. Kind of funny in a way. I know a guy who torrented everything on his PC, practically every program he has on there.
Quote by Rubik's
It happens all the time. And one of the provisions of the bill is any copyright holder can claim infringement and have a site shut down without due process.

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-to-introduce-draconian-anti-piracy-censorship-bill-110511/

I take it all back!
EDIT: Eh, not completely. I'm a fucking flip flopper.
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Doobergn
That would never happen, can you imagine the uproar that would ensue if they started doing that.

because you'd know if websites were blocked.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because you'd know if websites were blocked.

Yeah you would know this isn't North Korea.
Quote by Doobergn

lol.

Tell me, does google filter its US search results?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Doobergn

So did you hear about the 80,000 websites that were seized / shut down recently?
A great number of which committed no crime?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
lol.

Tell me, does google filter its US search results?

He's probably going to google that, just so you know.
The Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act (“PROTECT IP Act&rdquo

I'm imagining half a dozen interns sitting around a desk desperately trying to make the acronym work.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
I'm imagining half a dozen interns sitting around a desk desperately trying to make the acronym work.

at least our government had the decency to be blatant about it

Digital Economy Act has no other possible meaning than, we're out to make as much money as possible, **** the consequences.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Rubik's
So did you hear about the 80,000 websites that were seized / shut down recently?
A great number of which committed no crime?

So people know about it? I merely said you would know if they did it. What were the sites by the way.
Quote by Doobergn
So people know about it? I merely said you would know if they did it. What were the sites by the way.

Yeah, some people know about it, most people do not.

Here's an article about the seizure.

http://torrentfreak.com/u-s-government-shuts-down-84000-websites-by-mistake-110216/

Yeah, it was related to a different issue, but like the article points out, domain seizures and censorship don't solve anything and cause lots of problems for people who aren't doing anything wrong.
Quote by Doobergn

Quote by Doobergn

so should we expect some huge uproar?

Also, who else is looking forward to cloud computing?

Quote by element4433
Hmm, I'll sign it, but it really won't change much, especially considering they know the people signing are the people that are pirating anyways.

I'm indifferent to whether or not they start doing this. I am a (n00bish) hacker. Hackers find exploits and ways around security measures put in place by authorities. If they take down pirate bay, there's still a million other places to find torrents. There's also a million ways to hide your identity online. They seem to think they're one step ahead when really they're five years behind.

Anyways, if they're just taking the site's DNS down, and keeping it from showing up on search engines, then simply keep track of all the site's IP addresses you want to keep visiting that you feel are in danger of being removed. All you need to do is put http://*Insert IP address here* and it will take you to the site. Simples.

For example, on UG it would be http://85.17.164.150.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
at least our government had the decency to be blatant about it

Digital Economy Act has no other possible meaning than, we're out to make as much money as possible, **** the consequences.

Pfft, you guys just aren't as clever as we are.

Either way, I suspect this law (if passed) will have little to no overall effect on squashing illegal markets or 'protecting economic creativity'. It's been the case with every other anti-piracy/filesharing/whatever legislation of which I can think.
i don't pirate anymore due to a cease and desist that i got from the riaa not too long ago, but i'm still signing this.
Go Veg.
It all starts with the shut down of websites that supposedly aid piracy, if this bill passes without a fight, then the Government knows that they can stomp on our civil rights by passing more freedom limiting bills, its the Patriot Act now, but what's next?
Quote by CannedBullets
It all starts with the shut down of websites that supposedly aid piracy, if this bill passes without a fight, then the Government knows that they can stomp on our civil rights by passing more freedom limiting bills, its the Patriot Act now, but what's next?

Surprise buttsex.
Page 1 of 2