Hello UG
For some reason my parents are forcing me to play for a special at the church we attend. The problem is this would be the first time I play in front of a crowd by myself. For one I don't have a song ready to play (luckily its like a month and a half away), and I'm really a introvert person.
Tips?
Plus I didn't know what section to post this on, so if i need to move it, tell me.
Quote by theunforgivn
Hello UG
For some reason my parents are forcing me to play for a special at the church we attend. The problem is this would be the first time I play in front of a crowd by myself. For one I don't have a song ready to play (luckily its like a month and a half away), and I'm really a introvert person.
Tips?
Plus I didn't know what section to post this on, so if i need to move it, tell me.

Playing in front of people can be a daunting task, no doubt, but what I (and the rest of my band at the time) did was just keep looking down at our instruments and looking at eachother.

I am an extremely introverted person as well, but just remember this: it's supposed to be fun. In fact, it IS fun.
Well the great thing about churches is that they'll applause and heap you with praise, no matter how badly you perform, so it's a great place to start your live gigging career. I completely support your parents in their choice.

Otherwise just pick a song you already know back-to-front, practice it and perform it. There are ways to calm the nerves when playing but quite honestly the first time you do it you'll be crapping your pants. The nerves only "really" go away after playing live multiple times.

Basically practice is the key, if you know your song back to front and could play it in your sleep, have played it basically to the point where you're "bored" of it, then you'll be able to play it fine whilst crapping your pants infront of a lot of people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Like AlanHB said practice is important. If you practice your songs to perfection or as close to perfect you can get, you'll not only be more confident, but you will have a lot more fun as well.
I prefer to just shoegaze and shut out the crowd. What they're doing and what they're opinions are, are less important than what I'm playing and what I'm experiencing in my own little world.

To summarize it, ignore them. The people watching aren't important.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
What I like to do is when I'm playing, to keep myself from looking down or at my guitar, I pick one person in the audience and just stare them down, like a first person to look away loses kinda thing.

Of course they don't know about it but I just pick random people, I'm an introvert to and its just a small thing I do to try to improve stage presence. I know its just a church thing but I did that when I played in front of my school
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Quote by Count Orlok
I prefer to just shoegaze and shut out the crowd. What they're doing and what they're opinions are, are less important than what I'm playing and what I'm experiencing in my own little world.

To summarize it, ignore them. The people watching aren't important.

this is some of the worst advice you could give an aspiring musician.... ever been to a show where the entire band shoegazed and you said to yourself "wow what an exciting show!" i know i sure as hell haven't.
Two words SHEET MUSIC it gives you something to look at other than your shoes. Get a chord sheet or something may be a centerfold? (that would be wrong in church though)
When I began playing in church, I was actually more surprised by my complete lack of nervousness than anything else. When people asked me to play for them before, I used to mess up quite often but the first time I did a special in church was quite different. You could call it a God thing, which it is, but after the first few tentative strums I closed my eyes and let myself flow with the music and everything just happened the way it should have. As a spiritual person, I imagined myself standing at the foot of the throne playing to an extremely receptive audience of one, in a way--I guess I was.
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
I've never been there or done it so don't really have a clue but isn't there supposed to be something about imagining the audience naked that helps reduce the nerves? (I'm not entirely sure that it's appropriate in a church but no-one else will know so who cares )

Good luck with it and I hope you can enjoy it.
If your congregation is anything like mine it isnt exactly a tough crowd
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
If your congregation is anything like mine it isnt exactly a tough crowd

^ Also very true.
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
Quote by TisPyon
this is some of the worst advice you could give an aspiring musician.... ever been to a show where the entire band shoegazed and you said to yourself "wow what an exciting show!" i know i sure as hell haven't.
Well, I wouldn't advise that you shoegaze, but you should definitely focus more on the music than the people. If you need to just face out towards the audience (and upwards if you want) and close your eyes. Just get into the music and ignore the people, without appearing physically to be shying away from them.

Of course, if you need to look at your hands at any point, please don't just close your eyes anyway and screw up.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I ve done open mics a few times-is nerve wracking, but thats part of the fun! Id advise-
1-Pick a good song you know very well. Amazing Grace would be appropriate,(or even Jesus Dont Want Me For A Sunbeam!)
2-Go busking to practice it.
3-ENJOY IT! Tho not religious myself, u r communicating from the soul,and when u mean it,people buzz off ur pleasure. I make more money busking when I smile at folks!
Focus on what you're playing, not on who's looking at you.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by datgnat
You could call it a God thing, which it is, but after the first few tentative strums I closed my eyes and let myself flow with the music and everything just happened the way it should have. As a spiritual person, I imagined myself standing at the foot of the throne playing to an extremely receptive audience of one, in a way [pause for dramatic effect] I guess I was.

..... oh. your serious. haha only kidding, there seems to be a lot of introverted musicians out there (me being one o them) who don't play in front of people, it's the extraverts (sometimes who can't sing) who seem to be getting out there the most
If you're going to be performing solo (IE on-stage by yourself) there's no need to "perform". You can look at your guitar neck/picking hand, and try not to make "guitar face" expressions (you should see me play - haha, I can't stop making guitar face lol!) Play something nice/soulful and people aren't going to expect you to be jumping around like Angus Young!! Concentrate on soul and smooth playing - people will be like "wow - that sounded GREAT!"

Play something you're comfortable with and try to play in front of some people before the show. I had very bad performance anxiety for awhile, even quit playing in bands to get back on an even keel. I take piano lessons now (in addition to playing guitar) and frequently have to play for others in group lessons and such.

Forget the people - it's just you and your guitar, just as it is when you're practicing.
I don't have much experience on this area but I have given it some thought for when the time comes:

-As has been said, only play songs you have down so good you don't have to think about when playing them. The cause of nerves is the fact that you are unsure if things will go well or not. If you KNOW things are easy for you, you just won half the battle

-Lock on to the music you are playing. Don't know if this is the same for everibody, but sometimes when playing it feels almost like you are inside the music... I really abstract myself from my surroundings when this happens. The crowd will not bother you

-One more advice I would give is don't rush it... Only you know when you are ready. Don't delay it until you are perfect, but you should be at a level you are confident and have the skills necessary for the perfomance to go well