Page 1 of 2
What makes a good show?
We move around and talk to the crowd and get them involved but someone called us boring still? What else can we do?
Quote by hahaha15
What makes a good show?
We move around and talk to the crowd and get them involved but someone called us boring still? What else can we do?

one person called you boring?

edit: you probably play solid states, what you really need is a new amp
inb4 the debate on stage antics vs attention to music
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
inafter the debate on stage antics vs attention to music

Check and Mate internet.
check out live music prodcuer Tom Jackson. the man's practically insane but has some good ideas.
orange rockerverb isn't ss. tyvm. and getting people to our shows isn't a problem. they def like the music, we mix moveable songs and chill songs.
Quote by hahaha15
orange rockerverb isn't ss. tyvm. and getting people to our shows isn't a problem. they def like the music, we mix moveable songs and chill songs.

so some slacker calls you boring. Got any vids? the pit will judge.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
One set, play just straight "moveable" songs. Too many "chill" songs can sometimes get people bored, so change it up, a lot.
One person calling you boring doesn't really mean anything...
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
Well that's simple... All you need to do is:

FSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by 801Current
One person calling you boring doesn't really mean anything...

+1

TS, you'll get better answers in the Bandleading Forum
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Good music played well = good show

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Silent Murder
Play while on a bouncy castle.

For every song.

And invite everyone to do the same.

THIS.

Everyone loves a bouncy castle!
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by hahaha15
What makes a good show?

Unless you are a headlining band and have a good following that loves your original songs, don't play an entire set of original music! When people aren't familiar with an artist and he plays a bunch of his own stuff, it ends up blurring together and sounding the same. Mix it up with some popular covers maybe?
Quote by Nate.K
Unless you are a headlining band and have a good following that loves your original songs, don't play an entire set of original music! When people aren't familiar with an artist and he plays a bunch of his own stuff, it ends up blurring together and sounding the same. Mix it up with some popular covers maybe?

No. Go back to the Bandleading thread where those ideals belong.

I hate that philosophy. Screw playing shit that people are familiar with. You can still put on an engaging show without pandering, you just have to be genuine with it. I agree that you shouldn't let that one person get to you; could be like my drummer who likes "performances" for live shows pretty much.

To me, a good live show is a good balance between crowd and band. Being yourself as a band is important, since it's the only thing that will show you're comfortable with what you're doing. If you guys do in fact have a good sound you've worked on and are into the music you're playing and are giving off the energy you intend to, then you've done your job and it's up to the crowd to respond.
Play naked.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Don't talk to the crowd , talk WITH the crowd , they don't care about your dead fish or why you wrote that sad song of yours , then want to have fun.

No ?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Spartan101400
Do the exact opposite of what Slayer does.

Cover justin bieber and run around the stage?

Just Kerrykingit
Dead bull with the life from the low
I'll be massive conquistador
Give me soul and show me the door
Metal heavy, soft at the core
Gimme toro, gimme some more

Steam: Mengsk
MAL
Quote by Spartan101400
Do the exact opposite of what Slayer does.

Well ... seeing Iron Maiden's guitarists having a marathon on stage ain't any better. I'm not defendig Slayer or anything , just saying.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Unless the band is really witty and interesting I would prefer that they didn't talk a lot during shows. Some of my favorite shows have been where bands played almost straight through the whole set and only maybe stopping once to introduce a song.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by frog_friend
Unless the band is really witty and interesting I would prefer that they didn't talk a lot during shows. Some of my favorite shows have been where bands played almost straight through the whole set and only maybe stopping once to introduce a song.

This is true. Best show I ever saw was Porcupine Tree live and they barely spoke through their entire first set.

Also, if your banter sucks, well there's no point talking then.
Quote by Nate.K

No way Ive seen countless all original opening bands which have blown my mind.
Have balloons and stuff and make everyone kneel down on the floor before the chorus of the last song and when the chorus hits make them all jump up and go mental.

And to the above poster, Foxy Shazam are one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, certainly the only one I've seen been booed offstage.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Have balloons and stuff and make everyone kneel down on the floor before the chorus of the last song and when the chorus hits make them all jump up and go mental.

And to the above poster, Foxy Shazam are one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, certainly the only one I've seen been booed offstage.
This makes me sad But they're far from the worst live band, they're competent musicians who perform well live. And they make it entertaining. Sure it's not for everyone, but to say they're one of the worst is quite harsh. But eh, each to their own I suppose, I quite love those guys.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Good music, good energy and good crowd interaction are key.

If you play your stuff tight, no one can really knock you, even if they're not into the sort of stuff you play.
Also, if you make sure to keep the energy high, by having the entire band reacting to the music in some way, you don't have to be jumping around constantly or anything, in fact this can be frowned upon, but make sure you're enjoying it, or at least you look like you are.

And probably the biggest one is crowd interaction. Of which I don't mean just saying "thank you, you're a good crowd" in between a song.
You need to engage the audience, and don't just say the same stuff you do every gig, if you have something planned it'll come out as sounding that way.
Get some spontaneity in the gig, if the feeling takes you, drag out a song, pass the mic round the audience and get them singing an easy part, or get the lead vocalist to dance with the crowd, etc etc.
Stuff like that.

The only problem with that stuff is you can't really practice, you have to let it go off the cuff.
Quote by mario61
This makes me sad But they're far from the worst live band, they're competent musicians who perform well live. And they make it entertaining. Sure it's not for everyone, but to say they're one of the worst is quite harsh. But eh, each to their own I suppose, I quite love those guys.

I understand they are competent musicians and they performed well but the singer came across as an absolute **** live which was a shame.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I understand they are competent musicians and they performed well but the singer came across as an absolute **** live which was a shame.
Ahh, yeah that's part of his persona, as long as you don't take him seriously it's fine. He's actually one of the nicest guys in real life and actually quite shy off stage. Everything he does on stage is just part of the performance. Sucks that they got booed off stage though.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
Page 1 of 2