Buying a MIM strat at a local guitar shop. They have two display pieces(last strats they have) and I cant decide which one. They both have a few minor scratches and marks, only on the pickguard and its not too noticable.

Sunburst: $420

Black: $380

Which one would you choose and why?
rosewood frets: sunburst, because black doesn't look good with rosewood and the the headstock is awkwardly much brighter

maple frets: black, so i can put a black pickguard on it dave gilmour style

but really, get whichever one feels right for you. two guitars, same brand and model, one made right after the other, can feel totally different
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at May 12, 2011,
Well, is it Two Color Burst (Brown and Black)? or Flame sunburst...

Either way, out of the two, I would pick black, and put on a black pickguard...

If it's a maple neck...

(ala David Gilmour)

If it's rosewood, I probably wouldn't be buying it.

xD

Nothing personal against rosewood, I just like the Look and Feel of Maple better

EDIT:

HAHAHAHA!

Great Floydians Think A Like!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Last edited by Joe-Floyd-lover at May 12, 2011,
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

Great Floydians Think A Like!

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
totally sigged
Quote by Swannie

Quite, I saw "Black" in the title and came in with the hopes it was Strat finishes so I could post the exact same suggestion.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Black but only with a black pickguard really I always hated black strats with white pickguards for some reason.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Probably the sunburst, but I'd try them out first as there could still be variations (albeit slight) in tone and feel.

When I bought my Gibson LP Custom a few years ago I tried three out in the store I finally got mine from. The white one I tried sounded muddy and there was a lack of string clarity and separation, the first BB I tried seemed slightly too heavy and the neck felt as if I was holding on to the trunk of an oak. The one I finally took home was $150 more expensive than the others but sounded sweet and felt perfect. I know the guy in the shop was making a sale and getting the higher price but even he said that was his personal preference.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Just to let you know, the sunburst has rosewood and the black has maple
I prefer rosewood necks in general - although I will make a point of getting a guitar with a maple neck at some point....

Although there's one I already own. In pieces. In a case. In my parents attic. On the opposite side of the planet....
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by Swannie

Hey, also, they have a limited edition "FSR" Stratocaster at Guitar Center that looks EXACTLY like Gilmour's!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105949275-i1559901.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=728335279

It is a MIM, but it is the same cost of a standard MIM anyway, so I know what I'll be getting myself soon!

It will also be my first strat!

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
I actually like the way Black on Rosewood looks, but you've gotta get black knobs and pickup covers.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
black has a maple fretboard? go for it. cheaper, looks better in my opnion. i'd change the knobs to black but leave the pickguard white. looks kinda clapton-ish.
It's not going to make much of a difference in terms of tone, so I'd say go with the one you think looks best.

I'd personally go for the sunburst one, but as I said it's all preference.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Are you from Australia or something, OP? Because that's really expensive for a used MIM strat if that's USD...

Nah, I'm in the US. The good thing about these is that the only thing that is scratched is the pickguard, most other used have marks on the body
I'd make the decision based on the fretboard rather than the finish, and maple always wins in my book.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
I'd make the decision based on the fretboard rather than the finish, and maple always wins in my book.

Why maple specifically? Other than the looks I can't tell the difference between rosewood and maple
Quote by JKHC
Why maple specifically? Other than the looks I can't tell the difference between rosewood and maple

Maple fretboards are lacquered, so it could be a little less maintenance. (Trying to keep your fretboard nourished is pointless, for example)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 13, 2011,
Quote by PsiGuy60
Maple fretboards are lacquered, so it could be a little less maintenance. (Trying to keep your fretboard nourished is pointless, for example)

I have heard that once the lacquer wears off, the fretboard gets dirty very quickly
Quote by JKHC
I have heard that once the lacquer wears off, the fretboard gets dirty very quickly

I've never heard of maple lacquer coming off. That would have to take many years or be some very crappy lacquer.
Quote by JKHC

This is true, and there's no way to fix it except to sand off the top layer and re-lacquer it. It's actually why Eric Clapton stopped playing Blackie in the 90's, because the neck was getting to worn down from playing, re-lacquering and re-fretting.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Pac_man0123
Am I the only one curious as to why OP is looking at 2 guitars that are only like $100 less than they are new? You can get much better deals than that...

Or am I missing something?

They are new, except that they were floor models.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat

me too .. maple is just so more beautiful than rosewood . but its taste . surf green is my favorite color

i would choose black over sunburst .. ive never liked the sunburst

the only sunburst that look good IMO is the 2 tone sunburst ( like the one they put on the 2004 anniversary 50th strat )

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/6441/2004-Fender-50th-Anniversary-Stratocaster-2-Tone-Sunburst/

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/10-06-10/American_Deluxe_Stratocaster_50th_Anniversary_2_Tone_Sunburst_DZ4070316_1.jpg

the detail are amazing
this sunburst is so much beautiful than the 3 tone sunburst .

go black . my strat is black .. but i wish it was , blizzard pearl , olympic white , surf green or sonic blue
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at May 13, 2011,
Well, thanks to everyone for your responses but I went with the............

Sunburst, just because of the sound of it. It was alot more clearer and distinct than the black. + they threw in a new tremolo arm because the old one was lost(I think)
Quote by kangaxxter
This is true, and there's no way to fix it except to sand off the top layer and re-lacquer it. It's actually why Eric Clapton stopped playing Blackie in the 90's, because the neck was getting to worn down from playing, re-lacquering and re-fretting.

Yep, I see a lot of Maple neck guitars that get dinged up like that.

Here is a pic of one of Clapton's Teles, and that neck looks pretty bad.

I have a P Bass with a Maple, and it has a couple dings on the neck, but I don't really mind it.
Gear:
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Hey, also, they have a limited edition "FSR" Stratocaster at Guitar Center that looks EXACTLY like Gilmour's!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-105949275-i1559901.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=728335279

It is a MIM, but it is the same cost of a standard MIM anyway, so I know what I'll be getting myself soon!

It will also be my first strat!

I've got one in layaway at my local GC, that strat is Niiiiiiiiiiiice.
Quote by kangaxxter

How long does it take for a lacquer to come off?

Blackie was a mutt of a guitar, the neck was either from a 1956 or 1957 strat. He retired the guitar in 1987 because of the neck wear. By that time, the neck was already 30 years old. But a picture from 1978 shows a good amount of wear on the neck. Even then, it was 21 years old.

Then to take into consideration how much that guitar was played, before Clapton created it in 1970, and between 1987...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
How long does it take for a lacquer to come off?

Blackie was a mutt of a guitar, the neck was either from a 1956 or 1957 strat. He retired the guitar in 1987 because of the neck wear. By that time, the neck was already 30 years old. But a picture from 1978 shows a good amount of wear on the neck. Even then, it was 21 years old.

Then to take into consideration how much that guitar was played, before Clapton created it in 1970, and between 1987...

It really depends on how thick it's applied. Some 50s Fenders have it applied so thick it looks as if it'll never wear. One the other hand, my Squier Telecaster is already starting to wear through and it was made in '08. Although, with someone like Clapton, who used Blackie almost everyday for 17 years, I imagine the wear must be immense.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
It really depends on how thick it's applied. Some 50s Fenders have it applied so thick it looks as if it'll never wear. One the other hand, my Squier Telecaster is already starting to wear through and it was made in '08. Although, with someone like Clapton, who used Blackie almost everyday for 17 years, I imagine the wear must be immense.

That was one of the reasons I went with the sunburst with rosewood. Didn't want to deal with the maple lacquer coming off.