Looks like a Cmajor scale ascending in thirds. Basically, instead of going through a scale like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (where the numbers are degrees of the scale) you'd go 1 3 2 4 3 5 4 6 5 7 6 8
do u just choose random degrees then? i saw a tutorial that said u play the first 3 notes, then take the second note of those 3 and start a new triplet moving thru the scale
Quote by SargentCrunch
do u just choose random degrees then? i saw a tutorial that said u play the first 3 notes, then take the second note of those 3 and start a new triplet moving thru the scale

a triplet is a unit of time it means 3 notes played in the space of two 8th notes. as to note selection it depends on the sound you want notes simply formulate melody use the scale and play something you like
Dude, just play the notes in the scale and end on the root. What helped me with improvising is thinking of the super mario theme and playing with the notes in the scale i was using. Trust me, helps heaps.
Quote by SargentCrunch
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/patterns/mp001.gif

I don't understand how this are created, especially the ones that run from 1 octave to another all along the fretboard, I understand its the notes in the scale but how do you sequence them to sound good like that one?

Sequencing is a weird thing to think about and an interesting tool to use.

There is no set of rules or anything for saying how anything should be sequenced, are you 100% sure you understand how theory works and what exactly sequencing is for before you get started?

Without actually knowing theory and understanding how sequencing works within that you're not likely to have much luck with it and if you understand those two then it should be pretty simple, the question is: where are you stumbling?

Quote by Bad Kharmel
The sequencing is arbitrary so long as you end on the first note of the scale

Quote by Naruto00121
Dude, just play the notes in the scale and end on the root. What helped me with improvising is thinking of the super mario theme and playing with the notes in the scale i was using. Trust me, helps heaps.

... Just no. You two clearly don't know what you're doing enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at May 12, 2011,
While we're on the topic of scale sequences (didn't want to start a whole new thread for this)

How do I go about starting from a low note going to a mucher higher note a million octaves away using scale sequences?

I'm talking about some Yngwie-esque monstrous runs that start from the lowest notes to the highest.

I have no idea what he does or how to get started practicing anything similar.
Quote by SargentCrunch

I don't understand how this are created, especially the ones that run from 1 octave to another all along the fretboard, I understand its the notes in the scale but how do you sequence them to sound good like that one?

But that sequence is not complete.

It gets to A .. what's the next measure?
Quote by HamDen
While we're on the topic of scale sequences (didn't want to start a whole new thread for this)

How do I go about starting from a low note going to a mucher higher note a million octaves away using scale sequences?

I'm talking about some Yngwie-esque monstrous runs that start from the lowest notes to the highest.

I have no idea what he does or how to get started practicing anything similar.

learn the scale you want to ascend all the way up the fretboard and just expiremnt with different combinations of notes going up until you find something you like
Quote by SargentCrunch

They're just exactly what you've identified them as, sequences. To get something good you need to experiment a little and use your ears, however what you'll usually find is some numerical pattern underneath it all - that order and consistency is part of the reason our ears latch onto these kind of runs.

Take this run for example
e|--15-12-----12--------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------15----15-12--15-12-----12-------------------------------------------------
G|---------------------------14-----14-12----14-12-----12---------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------14-----14-12---14-12----12-------
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------14----14-12-
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a decending run in Em pentatonic

Now if you look at the run you'll see it's descending through the scale using the same repeating pattern, but moving down a note each time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok so I figured out a D# harmonic minor scale, and I want to sequence it in triplets, can someone take me through this process.

Heres the scale tab. In Drop C

D|---------------------------------------------------------12-13---|
A|-------------------------------------------------13-14-----------|
F|----------------------------------------13-15--------------------|
C|---------------------------14-15-17-----------------------------|
G|--------------13-15-16------------------------------------------|
C|-15-17-18-------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks guys!
Quote by SargentCrunch
Ok so I figured out a D# harmonic minor scale, and I want to sequence it in triplets, can someone take me through this process.

Heres the scale tab. In Drop C

D|---------------------------------------------------------12-13---|
A|-------------------------------------------------13-14-----------|
F|----------------------------------------13-15--------------------|
C|---------------------------14-15-17-----------------------------|
G|--------------13-15-16------------------------------------------|
C|-15-17-18-------------------------------------------------------|

Thanks guys!

A triplet is a rhythmic division, not a kind of sequence.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by SargentCrunch
Ok how do I sequence that than?

It depends entirely what sort of sequence you want, what kind of sound are you going for? Is there someone or something you're trying to sound like?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by SargentCrunch
bump

Don't bump, it's bad manners.

Now, I don't know much about Alexi's style but a pretty common thing I remember hearing him do a lot is a sequence of fours so you start on whatever not you want to start on, go up four and then jump to the next interval to start on and go up four again. Given the scale you tabbed out, probably the easiest way to do that is much like this:

e|------------------------------------------------------
b|------------------------------------------------------
g|-----------------------------------------9-------9-10-
d|---------8-------8-10----8-10-11-8-10-11---10-11------
a|-8-10-11---10-11------11------------------------------
e|------------------------------------------------------

Each group of four notes is one 'sequence' and the sequence repeats for every note in the scale until the run ends. I've just put it through one octave here but if you want to extend the idea you should be able to do that on your own.

I've also shifted it down the strings because it's much easier to play that way, you can do it the other way but there's some fretting hand stretches that are just inconvenient for what the run does.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Oh I think I understand this now, for example if I did a major scale in fourths like that it would be something like this

e|----------------------------------------------------
b|--------------------------------------7------------
g|---------------------------------7-9--------------
d|-------------7-------7-9---10--------------------
a|---7-9-10----9-10------------------------------
Quote by SargentCrunch
Oh I think I understand this now, for example if I did a major scale in fourths like that it would be something like this

b|--------------------------------------7------------
g|---------------------------------7-9--------------
d|-------------7-------7-9---10--------------------
a|---7-9-10----9-10------------------------------

Not 'fourths', fours. A fourth is an interval and is a different thing altogether. You're close with that but that's not a major scale really if you're just playing it that way, it's more likely to imply a minor tonality.

The sequence is close enough anyway, one thing to be aware of though is that when you use sequences, if you use the same sequence all the way through a run then it's very obvious what you're doing. Sometimes that's exactly what you want but often you'll want to break up the rhythm of a straight sequence by making it inconsistent.

If you're going to get heavily into the sequencing idea then you're best off learning as many different sequences as you can and learning to switch between them mid-run so you can switch up what you're doing on the fly.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
When you say to make it inconsistent do you mean to maybe skip around between the intervals in the scale and mix it up with triplets and fours?
Quote by SargentCrunch
When you say to make it inconsistent do you mean to maybe skip around between the intervals in the scale and mix it up with triplets and fours?

Very basically, yes. Take this for example:

e|-----------------------------------------------
b|-----------------------------------------------
g|-----------------------------------------------
d|-------------------------------4-5-7-5-4-------
a|-------3-----------3-5-7-3-5-7-----------7-5-3-
e|-3-5-7---7-5-3-5-7-----------------------------

Now if you play that up to speed... it'll be really short but it won't sound like a run that you've really practiced, it'll sound more flowing and less regimented than just running up a scale in fours or threes or whatever sequence you care to think of. Really though it's made up of around 4 or 5 different sequences that are just stuck together.

It's also very worth mentioning that sequences aren't just numbers like fours or threes, a sequence is just a pattern of intervals that can be applied through a scale. They're really good for fast playing because you can learn one or two different picking patterns and just change the fretting to move the ideas through different scales but in order to use them you have to understand them and know a good few or you'll end up sounding bland and repetitive.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Ok I think I am finally understand all of this now, thanks so much for all your help! Do you know any good websites, or lessons I could go to, to find further information on sequencing?