Hello guys

I know this must have been asked around a lot ,

I want to improve my lead play by learning how to use the Legato technique correctly. To be fair , I'm not that bad , but I need to improve speed and range a LOT.

Got any advices ? Any fun licks to practice legato ?

I'm usually tuned in Drop C , C standard and Drop A# ( until I get my 7 strings ... ) On 3 different guitars.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Good_Lord
Hello guys

I know this must have been asked around a lot ,

I want to improve my lead play by learning how to use the Legato technique correctly. To be fair , I'm not that bad , but I need to improve speed and range a LOT.

I'm usually tuned in Drop C , C standard and Drop A# ( until I get my 7 strings ... ) On 3 different guitars.

Just look up all the legato exercises you can.

-make sure you practice with BOTH distortion and no distortion (clean)
-make sure you can play it cleanly and without any other string noise at one speed before going to the next speed

In John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" DVD there are some good legato exercises, and one is like, super long and pretty cool if you can get it going fast.

I can send you a pdf export of some of the legato exercises i use if you want as well
Chromatic scale is a good exercize for legato to strengthen and becoming proficient using every finger. It's boring but you will see immediate results. I use it to "warm up" with. It helps me to get my mind in tune for using all four fingers "seperately," to do different things, accurately.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Good_Lord

I think a mixture of challenging excercises and learning legato song/solo parts is a good approach.
Exercises are not much fun, but they will give you maximum results.
Learning passages that you like is more fun and rewarding.
So mix it up, as long as you're training your fret hand for legato regularly and consistently, you will get better at it.
Advice:
- don't over-do it. PRactice trills and legato fragments for a short time, but do it often.
- if your hand feels burned out or tired, take some time off.
- I know it's difficult - but when your're doing this kind of training... try not to have any tension in your arms and shoulders. Otherwise you might train that into your mind and associate legato and trills with tensing up. Try let your fingers handle the workload.
- Make accuracy, consistency, and loud clear notes be most important... speed and endurance will follow.
Like anything else... focusing only on speed without good accuracy will only lead to sloppy technique.
good luck

edit: google for guitar legato exercises... you will find more than you'll ever need.