Hey everyone I am looking for some suggestions for an electric guitar that is suitable for playing Joe Satriani songs and others of similar styles. Something that could achieve a beautiful lead tone and be able to hold great sustained notes, as well as the subtle and crystal cleans.

A thin neck would be nice, and also double locking trem.

Please do not suggest Ibanez RG guitars (not liking the new series) or JS series guitars (I am aware the JS would obviously be the best option, but I want to see what else is out there.)

I know you said otherwise but having owned both a JS100 and a JS1000 I can tell you both are fantastic guitars. The JS100 (in my opinion of course) stands miles ahead of most of the other low end Ibanez guitars.

Other than that I had no idea, good luck. xD
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I've had a nice jam on a JS100 and I agree it is fantastic and it wouldn't it wouldn't be any less otherwise Joe wouldn't have his name on it.

Never had the pleasure to play a JS1000, I'm sure it's amazing! I'm just curious to see what else would be suggested.
Quote by yngwie ripoff
Esp M-ii

Nice guitar, brilliant neck in my opinion.. not a huge fan of EMG pickups but of course they could be changed.

Thanks
Ibanez S Series is a good bet, but you should also check out Charvel guitars, they're good and will do Satrianiesque music without any problems.
Ibanez S series are brilliant guitars, and will get you pretty close to Satch sounds.
You could maybe get away with a Jackson Dinky or Soloist...
Or, as stated, an ESP M-II and changing the pickups out.

Note, though, that the amp and pedals matter WAY more than the guitar does. You can get pretty close to his tone with a Satchurator or Ice-9 pedal through pretty much any good tube amp (preferably a Peavey), even if you happen to have a decidedly non-Satch guitar.

PS. The JS100 is basically a different shape RG350EX for more money and missing a pickup - completely not worth it.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 13, 2011,
wut? the js100 is a con. either step up to the 1000 or get an rg1570.

regarding getting satriani tones... any HH superstrat with a floyd is gonna get you pretty close if you can play like him. Medium (but reasonably modern-sounding) pickups will help. Amp will obviously help a lot too (and pedals like wah etc.).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
S Series or a JS- whatever. Chuck in a big brass block, and your talking
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Seriously any super-Strat design will do. Ibanez, Schecter, ESP, Jackson, Washburn, even some Fenders; just take your pick of whichever neck feels best to you. Satriani's tone is all down to his effects and amps, his guitars are mechanically very basic and middle-of-theroad.
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will have to check out the Ibanez S series I've heard good things about them. Never liked the feel of Schecter guitars and I've never overly enjoyed Jackson guitars ever but that's just a matter of opinion.

Here's one that I have been thinking about, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang. Anyone had experience with one?
The wolfgangs are one to consider, yes

ALSO
Old ibanez radius series?
Hard to come by but its what satch played before JS
he played a kramer pacer at one point, didn't he?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah i think he had a kramer as well before he went over to ibanez i remember reading it somewhere.

There was an old 440r radius in a shop near me (infact the shops going to be even nearer to me when i move haha!) original edge trem etc. Quite cool but overpriced as hell at £499 Would be tempted if it stays and drops in price well... if it werent for the fact i own 4 ibanez already and one of them is the s equivalent to that radius model..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at May 14, 2011,
yeah that's quite a bit

i mean the whole point of those older mij ibanezes is that they kick ass but that you can also pick them up for like £200-£300.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coolstoryangus
The wolfgangs are one to consider, yes

ALSO
Old ibanez radius series?
Hard to come by but its what satch played before JS

Never thought about any of the Roadstar Pro series, I've come across them before but havn't researched any. The Radius looks very nice, but it doesn't look terribly different to the JS1000 except pickup configuration and finish.