Every time i do a pull off. it sounded really soft and the sound slowly dies down when doing thrills, which somehow irritated me. I've been playing guitar for almost a year and i still cant get it right.

Here is one example

E|-----------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------|
G|--------16p15p13s11---------|
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------|

how am i gonna do that? and that tab is from the strokes - under cover of darkness

Do you have to like flick the string off when pulling off. or let go of the string really quick?
Trills*

When pulling off you always flick the string when pulling off, when starting out the length of flick will be longer than those of experienced who can keep then nice and compact - BUT they are still flicking the string
Hey, PUNKSTER.

This may not be the case for you but it is something to consider. If you are using a floating floyd rose tremolo bridge, you typically won't get as much sustain out of notes due to the reduced amount of direct contact the bridge has with the body of the guitar. So, when doing a short pull-off run like that - depending on how long you hold each note as well - the notes may lose steam before reaching the end. If this is the case for you, there are ways to increase sustain by purchasing upgrades for your tremolo bridge system.

If the bridge isn't the issue, then I'd say the best thing you can do is to focus on making a strong, and clean attack on the first note, and go through each pull-off at a time in a somewhat slower speed. Again not too slow though or they'll run out of steam. As you mentioned, try to flick the strings as you release each note, almost like you're plucking them, but not quite. At the same time, just make sure you're muting unwanted strings with your right hand or you'll get a lot of string noise.

Once you have the first 2 notes sound solid and clean, start from the beginning and add the next note, and so on. Just take your time and focus on the objective.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer

Last edited by Danny L Small at May 17, 2011,
I have just recently upgraded my floyd rose with a big brass block(floydups.com)and the difference in sustain and overall tone is night and day.I would recommend this to anyone with a floyd rose equipt guitar.
Quote by rickyvanh
I have just recently upgraded my floyd rose with a big brass block(floydups.com)and the difference in sustain and overall tone is night and day.I would recommend this to anyone with a floyd rose equipt guitar.

I just did the same. 37mm brass big block to be exact. Along with that I got those polymer noise-cancelling tremolo springs and a brass spring claw. I noticed a difference right away.
Danny L. Small
Guitarist/Teacher/Composer