I keep hearing from friends that these are cheap, built solid, and work great. Does anyone have any experience with them? What would you recommend in that line? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=danelectro+pedal&x=0&y=0#/ref=sr_st?keywords=danelectro+pedal&qid=1305294078&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Adanelectro+pedal&sort=price
I've owned the CF-1 fuzz and the CT0-1 Transparent Overdrive (version 1, no experience with the current one) and both were awesome for the price. They are solid, and sound great but the enclosures are a pain in the ass. All jacks and knobs are in the small back area of the pedal so its just cramped when trying to adjust things. Also you can't see your settings from the top. Small price to pay for the small price you pay...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
most people mean the Danelectro Cool Cat pedals. The first versions of those were actually just clones of popular boutique pedals. They have since revised them after a bunch of backlash about it, I don't know what the new ones sound like. I had the V1 Transparent OD which was a Paul C Timmy clone and a V1 Fuzz which was a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone. They were pretty good.
They are good, but they are not as good as behringers...

Behringers are closer to the actual pedal they are trying to emulate.

For instance, the D-7 Fab Fuzz is nothing compared to the Behringer VD1...

I would go with behringer, but either one needs an enclosure change anyway...
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
the cool cat series are decent in the way of cheap pedals. they arn't build as sturdy but the are true bypass (i think) which is really unheard of in a cheap pedal and they sound half decent. i'd take one of them over the behringer pedals any day.
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Thanks for the input so far! Do all these pedals require a 9V/9V adapter? On all the pages, it has a "recommended buy" and it's a 9V adapter.

-Edit - or does just the cheaper "Fab" line require it and the Cool Cat ones don't? Hopefully someone can clear it up.
Last edited by CBNJ at May 13, 2011,
You need something to power the pedal. People recommend a 9V adapter so that you don't have to constantly change batteries.
I have an older one, a Dan-Echo, and I LOVE it. It's not the best in quality, but it has a particular sound to it that I find fits my tone. I haven't had experience with the newer ones, but it's built well, not really run-over-by-a-car-and-still-okay well but it's sturdy enough.
Danelectro fish&chips pedal is the poor man's mxr eq
aewsome as ****
i will be getting one
dont know about other danelectro pedals
but i hate the pedal enclosures
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Actually now that I think of it I had the Fish & Chips too. Not as well built as the Cool Cat series but it was decent for the price.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What amp are you using and what song is that? I don't have youtube here at work but I'm fairly familiar with Coheed. (So long as that's not off one of the last few albums. )
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
What amp are you using and what song is that? I don't have youtube here at work but I'm fairly familiar with Coheed. (So long as that's not off one of the last few albums. )

I play bass (trying to get better at guitar ) so I've just been using my Acoustic 200W. The song in the video is Neverender, but I guess you could substitute it with pretty much any live electric song that Coheed plays where Claudio is playing his Explorer (that kinda heavy, screechy sound that he gets).
You'd need a pretty good pedal to sound close to that through a bass amp. Its not impossible, but I'd probably avoid Danelectro. Also its mostly technique that gets his sound, as far as the screeching goes.

Something like a Dirtly Little Secret or any 'Marshall in a box' type of pedal would be my guess, but to be honest there's no telling how anything's gonna sound through your bass amp until you try it.

For the record he uses a Bogner Uberschall... You're not getting that tone without that amp. Close enough for fun should be possible though.

Of the Cool Cat series though, I'd go with the Drive pedal for that sound. It won't be close at all, but it'll be a similar sound if that makes sense.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 13, 2011,
If it was me I'd get a good distortion pedal to use with your bass amp. Some guitarists use bass amps anyway so its not unheard of. A shitty practice amp will be worthless if you get more into guitar... A good pedal will be worthwhile.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the coolcats are pretty good if you can still get the v1s and can still get them pretty cheap.

I don't think it's worth paying a premium for them, though (as i've heard in some cases)... they're cheaper clones. the point is they're pretty good when you get them cheap.

Not much point in paying big bucks for them
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I havent tried the cool cat series. The dano pb&j and fab flange are pretty good though id just try them out before you buy but that applies to anything from lovers to cars.
I don't know how their higher-end stuff is...but I do have the FAB pedals and they're nearly useless. Modulations have no dimension at all, Metal is painfully piercing to hear and Echo is nearly useless as the time isn't adjustable.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Quote by mastaphoo
I have an older one, a Dan-Echo, and I LOVE it. It's not the best in quality, but it has a particular sound to it that I find fits my tone. I haven't had experience with the newer ones, but it's built well, not really run-over-by-a-car-and-still-okay well but it's sturdy enough.

My Dan echo just died! i loved that pedal, for me, it was the best delay/echo for the money out there. i will be replacing or repairing it.

I bought the cool cat fuzz when it first came out, it was stupid cheap, like $29, and I think it sounds really good, although, i usually keep the setting low to just add a little grit and don't use it for full on fuzz.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
As a pretty big advocate of budget gear in general, I've owned a few Dano pedals over the years from a variety of series. The FAB series modulation pedals (chorus, flange,etc) seem pretty solid for the price. Not a fan of the FAB drives/distortions but thats just me.

The Cool Cat series are fantastic if you can snag them at a decent cost. Definitely the top tier of Dano pedals in terms of build and sound quality. Like others mentioned, if you can snag a V1 from this series, do so. Danelectro was forced to retire them for a reason.

I also have a Danelectro Fab Tone. The thing is a giant brick and sounds pretty interesting. Has some weird stuff going on with the potentiometers (sometimes oscillating on its own and such) but it WAS used when I got it. No mids to speak of but with a Tube Screamer in front it gets pretty thick and gritty.

Just thought I'd share my experiences. Good luck with whatever route you go.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
i hope behringer pedals arent better cause i think they are aweful. they really suck tone. not suck, zap, as in kill completely. the whole "taking a blanket off your sound" thing? well thats what happened when we removed a behringer pedals from my friends setup.
I went to GC yesterday and bought a 4 pack of pedals for $29 (no clue why they were that cheap), but anyway, another question! How can I connect them without having to buy an AC adapter for all of them? Do they have some sort of connector to put them all together? Links/places to buy is appreciated - thanks!