Check out these kids, especially the banjo player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3qbB4Kq3Y0&feature=channel_video_title

Instantly, I have an interest in bluegrass. Anybody have any good recommendation of instrumental bluegrass stuff like this, with real fast right hand work like this kid does? on banjo or guitar? I'm sure i'm not the only one who'd like to see other stuff like this, awesome right hand banjo rolls and stuff.

So, have any of you got any cool right hand stuff to show the rest of the pit? I'm looking for stuff to learn to become more dexterous with my right hand picking, with a thumbpick and fingers as opposed to a flat pick.

Or, if absolutely none of you are interested in things like this, then perhaps I will take my business elsewhere.
hot damn!
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The tuning bit was more impressive than his picking.

I've seen guys tune their guitars while still playing because they're out of tune, but never like that.
I just sold my banjo two months ago, but I could never play it that fast even when I was practicing it every day. These days the best fingerpicking I've been doing is songs like Don't Think Twice It's Alright by Bob Dylan. There are lots of great fingerpicking guitar songs and you could always get one of those 6-string guitar/banjos to play them on.
Quote by Spud Spudly
I just sold my banjo two months ago, but I could never play it that fast even when I was practicing it every day. These days the best fingerpicking I've been doing is songs like Don't Think Twice It's Alright by Bob Dylan. There are lots of great fingerpicking guitar songs and you could always get one of those 6-string guitar/banjos to play them on.

Huh! Yeah, in high school i used to play a ton of electric guitar, rock/metal electric guitar shredding, but now in college i'm a fingerstyle guitar major (think leo kottke/michael hedges/billy mclaughlin/don ross/andy mckee) and i do fingerpicking almost exclusively now, which is great, makes me feel more well rounded. I wanna get a 5 string banjo, and learn to play it in traditional banjo tunings and stuff, not just a banjitar or whatever. Got any recommendations of music to listen to for stuff like that?
Quote by Altitudinous
I wanna get a 5 string banjo, and learn to play it in traditional banjo tunings and stuff, not just a banjitar or whatever. Got any recommendations of music to listen to for stuff like that?

anything with Earl Scruggs (Flatt and Scruggs, Foggy Mountain Boys, etc) and Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys are a couple for more traditional bluegrass banjo, but if you want a bit of newer stuff look up Bela Fleck (Flecktones, New Grass Revival), Tony Trischka, or Hayseed Dixie. i'm not too familiar with other types of traditional banjo styles (old time, clawhammer, etc), cause i don't play those styles, but those are good examples of traditional bluegrass styles.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by TheBurningFish
A lot of it is ripped off from Earl Scruggs^

well of course it is. he was super influential, don't you know?
Quote by Altitudinous
Huh! Yeah, in high school i used to play a ton of electric guitar, rock/metal electric guitar shredding, but now in college i'm a fingerstyle guitar major (think leo kottke/michael hedges/billy mclaughlin/don ross/andy mckee) and i do fingerpicking almost exclusively now, which is great, makes me feel more well rounded. I wanna get a 5 string banjo, and learn to play it in traditional banjo tunings and stuff, not just a banjitar or whatever. Got any recommendations of music to listen to for stuff like that?

Scruggs is all you need.
The fiddle was far more impressive.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Masamune
Has youtube stopped working for anyone else?

no, it just stopped working for me too.
Quote by L2112Lif
Did you play the awful solo at the end too?

No, I played up until the little broken chords and then jumped into Stevie's Blues by Tommy Emmanuel.

And I got in. Happy days.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by Masamune
Has youtube stopped working for anyone else?

I'm having problems too, but managed to see the video. Cool stuff.
Altitudinous, I have just spent the last half hour listening to random bluegrass stuff on YouTube. Thank you for introducing me to this F***IN' AWESOME genre.

Btw, check out some Steve Martin stuff, I was pleasantly surprised.
Isn't it a pity?
Now, isn't it a shame?
How we break each other's hearts,
And cause each other pain...

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it." - John Lennon
It's so much more awesome because the Millennium Falcon is in the background.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Steve Martin does have some awesome stuff. In a lot of old bluegrass tunes, you only ever hear like I IV and V chords, but in Steve's tune "The Crow", it's got this really sweet I ii, I ii, etc. I ii IV progression, it's really nice. And written for three banjos! Quite a talented fellow if you ask me.
Wtf, jealous of the stuffed fox.
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate