Okay, so do you guys prefer to record heavy guitar tones using a tube preamp or a VST ampsim?

JUST curious about this.

I personally use VSTs because they give me re-amping possibilities. But I've heard people using a tube preamp to record tones that KILL.

What's your preferred route?

EDIT: Also, a LOOOOOONG overdue NPD coming up...
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at May 13, 2011,
Oye
i prefer a tube preamp of course
amp sim's cant capture the feel(except the axe fx ofcourse)
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
You need to recab it on computer if you record it through the record out
btw congrats gs on buying the 6505 and the axe-fx II
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Depends.
I prefer running a good MFX into a DAW.
That, or micing a proper tube amp.

I dont like using an amps line out. I've tried it a few times with a Laney LC15- sounded fizzy and lacked balls.

That would be because it was a laney lc15...
lol.

I've got some pretty decent results using my ultra plus preamp out into impulses. Never really captures the amp in the room sound but its got more clarity then alot of vsts...

I'd probably pick up a seperate tube pre at some point for the purpose since there not too pricey like.
I've achieved BRILLIANT results with VST ampsims. I don't have a tube amp. Yeah that's right TubeAmp89 doesn't have a tube amp

But that being said, I use TSE and LePou plugins, and I've achieved some amazing results.
lets hear em then
and no need to facepalm
not everyone can afford tube amps
especially in india
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by coolstoryangus
That would be because it was a laney lc15...
lol.

I've got some pretty decent results using my ultra plus preamp out into impulses. Never really captures the amp in the room sound but its got more clarity then alot of vsts...

I'd probably pick up a seperate tube pre at some point for the purpose since there not too pricey like.

The LC sounded pretty nice with the bright switch on its own

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 13, 2011,
I record DIs through POD Farm and then if I'm not feeling lazy, I reamp them through an amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by deepsal
lets hear em then
and no need to facepalm
not everyone can afford tube amps
especially in india

Hah dude I facepalm'd because of my username. I was young and naive

http://soundcloud.com/cowsonthebeach

There you go!

Ignore the sloppy playing, when I usually get time to record, it's around 4 am, so I'm pretty f'ed up. But take a listen. Tone/Mix Test is using a PODX3, the rest are VSTs.
The VST tone test in my profile was recorded with direct guitar in and the lextac amp sim. The scream aim and fire cover was my 6262's preamp section and a cab impulse. The rest were mic'd at low volume with an sm57.

Compare for yourself
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by TubeAmp89
Hah dude I facepalm'd because of my username. I was young and naive

http://soundcloud.com/cowsonthebeach

There you go!

Ignore the sloppy playing, when I usually get time to record, it's around 4 am, so I'm pretty f'ed up. But take a listen. Tone/Mix Test is using a PODX3, the rest are VSTs.

Sounds pretty good. Not bad for using digital modeling and free amp sims, but it's overgained and fizzy, with too much treble, the typical modeling sound. Good for djenty/thrashy type stuff, but most people have a hard time making those sound like a real amp.

Personally, I like the chainsaw/grindy tone POD Farm gives, because it tends to sit in a mix very nicely, but taming the high end fizz can be a chore. I think the raw POD tone works very well when you're playing certain genres, though.

Not a huge fan of the tone as much here, since I really only did anything to the vocals and just threw a patch onto POD Farm, but the fizz adds a certain aggressiveness that's somewhat desirable in hardrock songs. I just think there's a bit too much here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/Give%20Me%20a%20Sign.mp3
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 13, 2011,
depends on what's available and what tone i'm going for. i've tried running the 6505+'s line out into the DAW and then running a cab sim which has balls, but still doesn't sound as good as it would if the head was run into a cab and mic. and if im going for the djent tone, misha's pod patch sounds better than that. however, like you said, i've heard some really good preamp recordings, like the ENGL E350 or whatever its called
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
misha's pod patch sounds better than that.

Do you happen to have it?

I used to have it, but forgot to back it up on my computer before I reinstalled windows, and i can't seem to download them from SS's patch library anymore?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I used to have it, but forgot to back it up on my computer before I reinstalled windows, and i can't seem to download them from SS's patch library anymore?

MC has a POD?
He just said up there he uses pod farm lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MatrixClaw
I record DIs through POD Farm and then if I'm not feeling lazy, I reamp them through an amp.

I do the same most of the time. I play around with VSTs a bit, but usually end up just mic'ing a cabinet for the final mix anyway
Quote by MatrixClaw

that's weird that the patch library doesn't work, but pm me your email address and i'll send you the file
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well VST amps sound much better than PODs to my ears. Also, I'm not a fan of downloading patches off the internet and using them. A patch used with YOUR guitar to sound killer can sound like shit on mine. Also, what you're playing through makes a difference: amp, studio monitors, speakers, etc.

Also, MatrixClaw and Gundamnitpete, those clips were really nice!