Page 1 of 2
I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

Honestly at low volume I dont notice much of a difference, SS may even sound better at quiet volumes.

Just post thoughts on this and do not start a war here.

Ill check back later, I'm on a plane.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at May 13, 2011,
No.

Not at low volume.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
No they can't. They're better.

/thread.
Originally Posted by KamiKaze_fightr
as this was an obvious reference. i would like to say, there is a difference between a french woman yelling shit, and a woman yelling french shit, for some reason i picture that getting sigged xD lol
Wrong,

to get proper tube tone you have to crank them, at low volume SS is boss.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tubes>Silicone .
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Quote by SilentFactor
Tubes>Silicone .

At low volume?

Please

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I had a Bassman 100 that got pretty close to a solid state sound when overdriving. Not quite the same, but very close.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
My spider IV sounds awesome at bedroom level, but tube amps are better for cranking up the volume/gigging.

Has this been said before?
Periphery, love that shit!
That fat aunty(with pinkish tee is staring at you dude)
good luck
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Well the other day i tried out this all tube blackstar ht5 and it sounded better then a marshal mg at teh low volumez
Which SS and which tube amp is what I believe this really boils down to.

If were talking about a VH-140 and a 5150, then the VH will stomp on the 5150s genitals repeatedly.

But if the SS is just total crap (aka Spider or the like) then the tube will still kick the shit out of it.

Now, if we're talking top end of each, e.g. a VH 140 and a Diezel, they will be pretty comparable in terms of quality, and it is just which tone you prefer. A super high quality tube amp should still sound fairly good, even at lower volumes. If it doesn't, you sir are using an amp that ruins fragile harmonics.
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by coolstoryangus
Well the other day i tried out this all tube blackstar ht5 and it sounded better then a marshal mg at teh low volumez

That's cheating though, I heard that amp has clipping diodes.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Blick71
Which SS and which tube amp is what I believe this really boils down to.

If were talking about a VH-140 and a 5150, then the VH will stomp on the 5150s genitals repeatedly.

But if the SS is just total crap (aka Spider or the like) then the tube will still kick the shit out of it.

Now, if we're talking top end of each, e.g. a VH 140 and a Diezel, they will be pretty comparable in terms of quality, and it is just which tone you prefer. A super high quality tube amp should still sound fairly good, even at lower volumes. If it doesn't, you sir are using an amp that ruins fragile harmonics.
Is that how you really feel?
at girst i thought you were trollling greg and maybe you still are but i'll chime in. soild state probably sounds better at low volume however you need to get a higher quality solid state amp than the run of the mill vypers and spiders to get a really good tone. thats why i have a 5 watt tube amp so i can turn it up to 3 or 4 and boost it into overdrive with my sd-1, it sounds hella lot better than my old spider that i had
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Quote by coolstoryangus
REALLY? but blackstar said its all tubes

damn them! DAMN THEM TO HELL!

It only uses tubes in the tube sockets, therefore its all tube. The diode clipping stage is just to help it sound more like an SS. Its not a dead-on reproduction of that coveted SS overdrive sound, but its a pretty good emulation.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I live by the motto "solid state is best" which is why I only gig with an MG or a Frontman
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by jof1029
really guys?

I feel really bad for you man
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Something familiar about this thread :p
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Status Quo have a Marshall head with a SS Vox hidden inside. How else could they get such a consistent sound regardless of how hard they hit the strings?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The fact that it has been done literally hundreds of times? Nevermind that's your thread... This one is actually a new topic.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'll stick with my Valve Junior.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Tom 1.0
Wrong,

to get proper tube tone you have to crank them, at low volume SS is boss.

This.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
It all depends...(for example) If you can get a tube amp that switches wattage (like from 50w, to 5w or something like that), the Tube will win EVERYTIME...HANDS DOWN...because you get amazing tones at the 5w...just not good cleans...

SS are somewhat better for practice senarios but if your with a band and practicing, tube is the only way to go...

Even thought tubes generally cost an arm and a leg to buy, they are worth it...not many SS amps can capture the warmth of a good tube amp...they generally sound insanely stale and lifeless, where as tubes sound creamy and hot
Quote by SilentFactor
Tubes>Silicone .

better than

?

Not so sure about that...
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'm with Matt on that one
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by stykerwolf
germanium > silicon
Every day, every where, every tempreture

Na ah

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
solid state and hybrid amps are like breast implants whereas tube amps are all natural.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I dunno. Fake titties can be shaped pretty nicely if done well. They may not be as pleasing to play with but they're nice to look at. Some natural titties I've seen have looked like saggy bananas.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
I dunno. Fake titties can be shaped pretty nicely if done well. They may not be as pleasing to play with but they're nice to look at. Some natural titties I've seen have looked like saggy bananas.

exactly, that is the difference between solid state and tube amps - tube amps 'feel' nicer to play through

oh and tube sag
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
HAHAHAHA guys...jesus....

i might as well say that naturals generally feel better...alot better...even thought fakes look better...ALOT better...hot damn do they look good LOL...

tubes beat SS...lets just leave it at that before i ruin my keyboard
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
HAHAHAHA guys...jesus....

i might as well say that naturals generally feel better...alot better...even thought fakes look better...ALOT better...hot damn do they look good LOL...

tubes beat SS...lets just leave it at that before i ruin my keyboard

But they dont

At low Volumes, my brothers Vypyr blew my 6505 away

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by B.C. RICH5000
It all depends...(for example) If you can get a tube amp that switches wattage (like from 50w, to 5w or something like that), the Tube will win EVERYTIME...HANDS DOWN...because you get amazing tones at the 5w...just not good cleans...

SS are somewhat better for practice senarios but if your with a band and practicing, tube is the only way to go...

Even thought tubes generally cost an arm and a leg to buy, they are worth it...not many SS amps can capture the warmth of a good tube amp...they generally sound insanely stale and lifeless, where as tubes sound creamy and hot

Every time? hands down? So if I buy an epiphone valve junior it will automatically sound better than an ampeg vh140 or axe fx for metal tones?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Every time? hands down? So if I buy an epiphone valve junior it will automatically sound better than an ampeg vh140 or axe fx for metal tones?

+1

This argument is dumb. There are so many other variables than just 'tubes or SS'...

I'll take the VH140 over a Fender Twin for the music I play
Last edited by eyebanez333 at May 13, 2011,
The whole arguement of SS vs Tube is dumb...its all personal preferance and theres so many variables that come into play...

I might like the gain setting of a Recto but i might like the cleans on a Roland Jazz better...that doesnt mean that the Recto cant get good cleans...

These threads are generally pointless, and starting one is useless because you get tons of people saying "this is better than this" or "this is better than this because its vintage/tube/better than SS/not a piece of shite"

VERY rarily do you get SS amps that sound as good as tube amps...very rarely do you find Tube amps as cheap as SS amps...very rarely do you find Tube amps that sound worse than a cheap SS amp (like a Spider), but at the same time very rarely do you find a SS amp that sounds like a Mesa Mark IV

^That solves this whole thread completely
Quote by Cathbard
Status Quo have a Marshall head with a SS Vox hidden inside. How else could they get such a consistent sound regardless of how hard they hit the strings?

I met Alan Lancaster a few months back, this is truth.
Page 1 of 2