Page 1 of 2
Quote by The Guardian
For the children of Wandsworth, the age of innocence ends this autumn when their council puts a price tag on playtime.

To help fund £55m worth of budget cuts, councillors in the south London borough have decided to charge children £2.50 to use the local playground.

The Tory-run council will pilot the charge at weekends from October at an adventure playground in Battersea Park.

Full story.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/may/12/tory-council-charge-children-playground

How the hell is this possible!? They are public places for everyone to use.

Just another great Tory decision.
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at May 13, 2011,
LOL.

The UK sucks. I can't believe how many people bag on the Americans for their government when the UK is alienating their own country.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Must be one of hell of a playground then.

I'd hardly call it fair - it's actually verging insane. Is there a missile base underneath the playground by any chance?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Colgate Total
LOL.

The UK sucks. I can't believe how many people bag on the Americans for their government when the UK is alienating their own country.

It's trial as stated and only operational at weekends.

Truth be told the councils are only trying to raise money, they can't increase tax so this is just an initiative i guess - all be it a wholly stupid one. I mean the UK government is constantly on about public health and so on, so why then take away a childs play area which would be a source of much exercise?

I'd hardly call it alienation, the more money the council has the more they can spend on their town, bringing improvements. They're trying to raise money to keep public services going - i know its a vicious and stupid cycle but they ultimately have no choice >.<

I think people tend to 'bag' americans, not the government, many people love Obama, many people don't love the idiots that don't want free-health care
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Aye, saw this earlier. Not really shocked, people have charged entry to parks for years. Good luck enforcing it, genius!
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
This is so wrong
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Charging an 8 year old to use the swings? I'd rather stay in recession.
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
If they didn't charge the kids the playground would no doubt get closed down. It's insane but if they don't charge them there wouldn't be a playground
Quote by Colgate Total
LOL.

I assume it's £2.50 to open the gate. If that's the case children will just go down in groups and use £2.50 to open the door. Try tried a smiler thing with some loos in Cambridge charging people 20p to use the toilet. All my friends do is get 20p and when one of us leaves we hold the door open for the next guy.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by Duffman123
If they didn't charge the kids the playground would no doubt get closed down. It's insane but if they don't charge them there wouldn't be a playground

Every other playground is free, why should this one charge? And why does it need the money to stay open?
Quote by Duffman123

I'm not disputing your point - i agree with it - but i mean kids don't need a playground, and how many other playgrounds are there? It just calls into question how useful this imposed toll will be. I mean it's like the children might not even use it now, meaning everyone loses out >.<

In many ways its a sick way to tax children (the portion of society that don't yet contribute or pay towards society).
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by eldanny

I assume it's £2.50 to open the gate. If that's the case children will just go down in groups and use £2.50 to open the door. Try tried a smiler thing with some loos in Cambridge charging people 20p to use the toilet. All my friends do is get 20p and when one of us leaves we hold the door open for the next guy.

I concur, not to mention most playgrounds have a wooden fence surrounding it, so what's stopping them climbing over it? I highly doubt its going to be surrounded with metal grating
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
I concur, not to mention most playgrounds have a wooden fence surrounding it, so what's stopping them climbing over it? I highly doubt its going to be surrounded with metal grating

Anti-climb paint.

Trust me, it exists. It's a paint that never dries.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Colgate Total
LOL.

When I hear about the derp going on in the UK, I see it as what will happen in the US a few years later, that's normally how it works.
Quote by UraniYum
Anti-climb paint.

Trust me, it exists. It's a paint that never dries.

Lol but for a kids playground? To exaggerate - are they going to take the spike pits from Tomb Raider and surround the area with those?

Even so, if they were my kids, just give them a ladder
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Every other playground is free, why should this one charge? And why does it need the money to stay open?

I'm sure they could use the land for something else.

And it's ridiculous I agree, if it was me I would just go to a different playground. Maybe the playground is a really good one though. I mean there are some fantastic parks over here that you have to pay to get into and nobody complains about that.
Quote by Anthony1991
Lol but for a kids playground? To exaggerate - are they going to take the spike pits from Tomb Raider and surround the area with those?

Even so, if they were my kids, just give them a ladder

Yeah... they've used it at my local park for the last 8 years. And it's been £2.50 entry for as long. It all depends on who is enforcing these rules at your local park, we've had some jumped up pricks who decide EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL PAY. Result? Empty park. We've had lovely fellas who know we'd pay, if we could, and let us off. Result? People seeing an active park, and wanting to join.

ITT: uni students reacting to nothing at all
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by Spartan101400
When I hear about the derp going on in the UK, I see it as what will happen in the US a few years later, that's normally how it works.

Really?

I always thought that the US is what the Tories would do to this country if they could get away with it. Hence why I found Colgate Total's post so ironic.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by eldanny
Really?

I always thought that the US is what the Tories would do to this country if they could get away with it. Hence why I found Colgate Total's post so ironic.

Eh, it's just my point of view on things, I want to run for public office so bad so I can help turn the US around, but I'll never be President due to the natural born citizen clause.
Quote by UraniYum
Yeah... they've used it at my local park for the last 8 years. And it's been £2.50 entry for as long. It all depends on who is enforcing these rules at your local park, we've had some jumped up pricks who decide EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL PAY. Result? Empty park. We've had lovely fellas who know we'd pay, if we could, and let us off. Result? People seeing an active park, and wanting to join.

ITT: uni students reacting to nothing at all

Ah i had no idea they went to lengths such as that, was it an amazing playground then, or just a typical one?

I personally believe that the generic playgrounds should always exist within a community - and be toll free. I mean they are kids after all, everyone remembers being on the playground and loving it. It's also a generically safe place for kids to be as generally parks are surrounded by houses and so on. After the playground they have nowhere else to go, realistically i suppose.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Ah i had no idea they went to lengths such as that, was it an amazing playground then, or just a typical one?

I personally believe that the generic playgrounds should always exist within a community - and be toll free. I mean they are kids after all, everyone remembers being on the playground and loving it. It's also a generically safe place for kids to be as generally parks are surrounded by houses and so on. After the playground they have nowhere else to go, realistically i suppose.

It was crap.

And you are a commie.

Aye, after the fella started keeping us out for not spending £2.50, we drank cider in car parks. Got laid more, tbh.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by UraniYum
It was crap.

And you are a commie.

Aye, after the fella started keeping us out for not spending £2.50, we drank cider in car parks. Got laid more, tbh.

Lol nothing wrong with communism in theory!

But who the hell gets that job, denying children fun unless they pay - that person must feel pretty awful ^^
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
In many ways its a sick way to tax children (the portion of society that don't yet contribute or pay towards society).
It's not really taxing children, it's just making the parents pay. If you're on a low income and have a couple of kids, it'll just discourage you from letting your kids go out and play with the children whose parents can afford it. Class warfare much? I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend.
Quote by psyks
It's not really taxing children, it's just making the parents pay. If you're on a low income and have a couple of kids, it'll just discourage you from letting your kids go out and play with the children whose parents can afford it. Class warfare much? I seriously hope this doesn't become a trend.

That's more or less just saying its the government taxing it self if you go far enough Say most kids fund it with pocket money (their wage essentially), then it's a tax they pay to play in the playground. And yeh i agree about the discouragement, especially since playgrounds are a [free] way of children having fun without costing the parents money. It's also a good way for children to get exercise at the end of the day.

It won't become a trend because you have to employ someone to manage the park and its occupants, so lets say that's average full time wage therefore roughly 12,000 pounds UK, then the park has to earn over 12,000 to even justify the person managing it. Even if it's incredibly sparsely managed, like say part-time, it's still roughly say 5000 UK, how much would the park actually generate when you tag on the employment aspect of it?

As for class warfare, i'd hardly call it that - the really rich kids don't play on playgrounds anyway do they?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Noice, very noice.

The next step, of course, should be to abolish those pesky child labor laws so that these babies can earn their keep! Mon-Fri workin' to save 5.00. Spend the entire weekend on the playground. Sounds good to me.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
It's also £2.50 per kid which gets you a 'full day pass', but as soon as you leave the playground, you have to pay again.

ridiculous.

Wtf.. Its like a night club.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by boreamor
Next will be charging to enter shopping centers, local parks and libraries.

The Daily Mail called and they want their exaggerations back
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Must be one of hell of a playground then.

instead of climbing up to the slide, you slide up another slide to get to the other slide.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit

I am assuming you've read the article you yourself have referenced, but:

A) It is not like every other playground. This isn't a set of swings and a roundabout, this is a massive adventure playground featuring "zipwires and 40ft structures", which is why...

B) It needs the money to stay open as due to the nature of the playground, it requires "health and safety staffing".
Quote by Xiaoxi
Noice, very noice.

The next step, of course, should be to abolish those pesky child labor laws so that these babies can earn their keep! Mon-Fri workin' to save 5.00. Spend the entire weekend on the playground. Sounds good to me.

The entire weekend? Fucking anarchy! It's a good job you aren't running the country. I say let them in for an hour at 5am on a Sunday so they can still get to church and then put in a full day's work afterwards.
I don't see the problem if it's a big park, it's nothing new. But if it is just a small one kids will just go elsewhere. It's London it's not like it is the only park in a 20 mile radius
It's not how big your pencil is; it's how you write your name.
Are they just playing around or what?
Politics everywhere is going to crap...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Will I have to pay £2.50 to gain access to this playground so I can steal the kids? Because I need that money for lollipops so I can grab their attention.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Last edited by padgea7x at May 13, 2011,
What the honest ****? How can they put an entrance fee on a public place?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
How much does it cost for teenagers to smoke pot there?
Quote by Duffman123

It's a playground man, there aren't really very many operating costs.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by boreamor
That comment will cost you £2.50

Totally worth it because i made several people on the internet chuckle...
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Page 1 of 2