I never got the appeal of one smashing their prized instrument against the hard floor...

I understand being rough on your guitar, IE. Wanking the Tremolo arm, Throwing it around, Scraping it against walls, neck bends, or ripping the strings off your guitar at the end of a set.

I never got the appeal of Burning your guitar, or smashing it on the ground.

I try to treat my instrument like a tool (not really treating it delicately), but I don't get why people smash them.

Could someone enlighten me on this?
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
It's a condition known as being a millionnaire attempting to seem edgy to teenagers.

No but seriously, it's dumb.
yep
its called Passion, i dont agree with it but hey.

also in the time of Pete townshend, hendrix etc guitars where hit and miss in quality, if you had a really duff one then smashing it or burning it was seen as acceptable and bad marketing for said brand. nowadays its done by mugs with too much cash
i watched a documentary on Nirvana once, and Krist said that they did it so they could get off of the stage without having to play a whole set, cause you smash your instruments and no one cares how bad the show was.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Yeah, I mean, Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain never smashed their "prized instrument". They mostly just smashed similar guitars. I know Pete didn't perform with the same instruments The Who recorded with, and Cobain would switch to cheap MIJ Strats to smash up. I think Hendrix actually smashed up good guitars, but I think that was because Fender gave him so many. His favorite, called Black Beauty, was never smashed and is probably in some rock collection somewhere. Also, the guitars that Hendrix smashed would be recycled, and usually have the neck replaced and smashed again. The guitar famously burnt at Monterey Music Festival was given to Frank Zappa, rebuilt and was used at some big charity event (I want to say the memorial for George Harrison, but I can't remember).
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
It's never the expensive one that gets abused like that...
Usually the guitarists that smash guitars on-stage will use $200-or-less knock-offs.
It's always cheap to replace for them, though. Hence why you never see someone who uses exclusively custom or signature guitars smash them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
They'd rather do it themselves than pay $4000 for a Fender factory tech to do it and then label it a "relic".
Quote by kangaxxter
Yeah, I mean, Pete Townsend, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain never smashed their "prized instrument". They mostly just smashed similar guitars. I know Pete didn't perform with the same instruments The Who recorded with, and Cobain would switch to cheap MIJ Strats to smash up. I think Hendrix actually smashed up good guitars, but I think that was because Fender gave him so many. His favorite, called Black Beauty, was never smashed and is probably in some rock collection somewhere. Also, the guitars that Hendrix smashed would be recycled, and usually have the neck replaced and smashed again. The guitar famously burnt at Monterey Music Festival was given to Frank Zappa, rebuilt and was used at some big charity event (I want to say the memorial for George Harrison, but I can't remember).

I remember reading an interview with Pete Townshend in which he talked about playing Teles in the early days, because he could smash them up, put them back together and then smash them again and no one would be any the wiser. Gotta love Teles...
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I know for a fact that many musicians who participate in the act of smashing and destroying their guitars (usually rich famous ones) will switch guitars before the last song to something that looks similar, is cheaper, and is more disposable than their "main" ones. I myself would never do this though.
the first gig i ever went to was to see some local post-hardcore band, the guitarist broke three strings in one set and ended up snapping his guitar in half in a rage. It made me think that it was the norm for bands to smash there guitars at the end of a set and for my next few gigs i was annoyed when it didnt happen
sure, I may use a cheap Squier to smash, but never any of my actual, like, good guitars. atleast with the cheap squiers, I can find them for about $50 anywhere.

but with my Schecter, there's plenty of nicks and dents in it and the back is all scratched up with belt rash, but that's all non-intentional. each dent/scratch has a story to why its there, and the belt rash... well, thats belt rash. haha
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by obeythepenguin

There's a list of every guitar he smashed. Apart from the Gretsch (smashed once and accidentally broken a couple times), he's never done any of his "good" ones.

Cool link. I saw him abuse a guitar at Shea Stadium in 1982 and now I know it was a Schechter Telecaster.
Its ridiculous but its part of the show for some artist . it also depend who does it and how often . Kurt cobain with his poor guitar talent , to feed teenage angst and destroy everything at every show , IMO its too much .

Yngwie malmsteen switching from his scalloped stratocaster to a cheaper guitar at the end of the show and breaking it ( didnt happen often ) , IMO the guy has a an incredible talent and i dont think this guy have any lack of respect for the instrument .

so personnally i wouldnt smash one , but i wont judge malmsteen for doing it . but some random punk who smashed their guitar , jump on their pedal with both feets and kick them around the room/stage , IMO it suck . Your instrument doesnt have to take a hit because your mother refuse to breastfeed you when you were toddler .

i take care of my instrument ( even as punk rock , pop punk guitarist ) , everything is in mint condition + you get a better resell value .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at May 13, 2011,
Most guitar that get smashed are cheaper guitar made just for the effect. I managed to get a look at a Gibson Paul Stanley of KISS smashed at a show and the guitar was not the same quality Gibson sells. IMHO it was made from much cheaper wood the finish was fairly bad and the Pups were not marked Gibson. That was one i got to inspect I do not know what others use.
John

“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
I have 4 guitars that i bought in those build it yourself kits, cost about 60 euro and sounds absolutely terrible, i treat so horribly. One is covered in mud,burnt,paint almost completely scraped of and neck horribly warped. That's a guitar i could smash on stage without regret, which i probably will do on my bands noisier songs.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by obeythepenguin
IIRC, the first time Townshend did it was when his guitar accidentally broke during a set -- he got pissed, smashed it to pieces, then passed it off as part of the act.

That's the truth. And he kept doing it because–and I'm paraphrasing him—after he did it once people kept coming back to see the idiot who smashed up his guitar on purpose.