Well well it's been quite a while haha. My computer broke last year and I just got it back about a month ago so unfortunately I wasn't able to write much music for a while However I did manage to finish this little diddy just recently. The drums are pretty bleh throughout as I got quite lazy, and I also took a risk with writing some stuff in a major key for a change my main concern, as always, is that I just want to make sure everything flows smoothly so all I ask is that you be as harsh as possible! I shall also do c4c when I have the chance to return crits. Enjoy!
Attachments:
Contrast.zip
I have to leave for work in like 3 minutes, so lemme just say that I just listened through this and I really, really ****ing loved it. That's all I have time to say, BUT KNOW THAT! ;P
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
This is incredibly good, and the transition works perfectly. You obviously care a lot about your work. Seriously, the fact that such a layered and fresh sound can be made to come out of TuxGuitar (that's what I'm listening on, anyway) is phenomenal...
I'll give you a proper crit later but dude do you understand if you recorded this nicely you could be famous?
The only thing I can think of is that some of the drums can get a little bland but even that is very minor. You said your self you got lazy with them so maybe just pick up the drums a little. The whole song is great and very inspiring dude. Your work is always great.

I like how you made it fade into your other song. Creative.
OK, here's the deal. It's well written, well thought-out, very nice-sounding, with a few risks taken here and there, particularly the fact that you wrote a lot in major, which I approve of. Few metal artists or prog artists have the grapes to do that these days.

That said, this is fast becoming a very popular style of music in the metal world. Scale the Summit, Devin Townsend, Cynic, Textures, Tesseract, Protest the Hero, Periphery, and BTBAM are all making music that is comparable in at least some way to this. That doesn't detract from what you've accomplished, but it prevents it from quite being the revolutionary piece of music that everyone seems to think it is. In the same line of thought, one great song will not get you famous. There are no one hit wonders in prog. You'll have to be able to write a lot of songs like this, consistently, to achieve any success.

I like it though. Good luck.
^
Have you listened to any of his other stuff. He does this all the time haha.
I kinda agree with FrauVfromPoB about how this is quickly becoming a trendy style in metal.

Like, I think this is a really good piece, but it's almost starting to feel like I've heard it before. The transitions work great, the melodies are nice, but I feel that the djenty rhythms are a bit dull. Some of the chorus-y sections like at bar 101 is really cool followed by that nice clean break, and the 9/8 over 4/4 blah blah stuff is good actually, but I thought the Theme section just before that was a bit poor. It felt a little unnecessary, or I just think you could make it more interesting.

I don't really know how constructive that criticism is, it's mainly praise actually, and I guess it's kinda personal preference for me, but maybe it's something you wanna consider?

Anywho, really nice piece, although I preferred one of your older ones, which I can't remembe the name of. Seeing as you're a Zelda fan, if you get the time, care to have a look at my Zelda medley? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254362&page=1
Quote by kylendm
^
Have you listened to any of his other stuff. He does this all the time haha.

Its just general advice. I'm not so incompetent that I didn't notice the 4 other links in his sig and the recordings on his profile page.

Also, I don't think I'm too far off-base. Look at his influences in his profile. Misha Mansoor, Paul Waggoner, and Tosin Abasi are all in there. Its clear where TS takes his influences, and what he's interested in musically.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 18, 2011,
"Becoming" a trendy style? My god, where've you all been, that stuff IS the trendy style.

That said, I think Zach here separates himself from that scene in some ways here and there, with the depth of his compositions, and that it has... well, to me, he has his own voice, I guess you'd say.

Now, Zach, you want negative? This song is a piece of shit, for you.

Jk, onto my crit. As I listen.

I like the intro beat, and the melody is sublime. Well done.

When the band enters, it's quite good. I prefer more straight wall of sound rhythms, but the melody is so good it doesn't matter.

The chuggin in the next section is... well, some of your best recent chug, but not my favorite, as you know. I love, love love the synth and piano behind it all, however. It gives it some nice depth. And I like how the section develops into the atonal section. Augmented. Whatever.

The variation on the theme is excellent. The rhythm development is well done, and I like the darker tone this time.

The polyrhythm with the muted guitars is awesome.

The chorded section [taste the bass] is ****ing brilliant. My favorite part, MAKE IT LONGER. It's the best part of the song. The clean bit is really cool after it as well. But I think the chords with dist. coulda had one more repeat, at least.

The piano section is really really good. So far so good on the flow btw, it flows/transitions masterfully.

Return of the happy is a good change, but slightly sudden. Needs like a guitar fade in or something.

Like the dots. Good stuff. And I like the rhythm. Well done there.

And well done ending/change in to the next song.

So, all around, one of your better recent ones I can remember. A few personal changes I'd make. But on the whole, really good, man.

And, you say you were lazy with the drums, but I actually think they're some of your best. You being lazy on them, I think, gave the song some more space to breathe.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
^haha thanks for all the feedback guys! I can definitely understand how people would see this as trendy. I try to incorporate more influeneces outside "djent" style bands, such as more post-hardcore or even jazz-fusion elements with ambient touches. But regardless, I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I think I'll repeat that one part like you mentioned burning angel when I get around to recording this. Is there anything of yours you'd like me to check out?
Amazing job on the delay affect/layering the channels, loved it.

Totally reminds me of Born of Osiris / Faceless kinda stuff, not a big fan but this is very impressive!

9/10

Augmented, sounds like a killing machine, sick shit man
"Our revenge so everlasting sweet,
Enslave your Children, Behead the weak,
Kill every last Man, Woman and Machine
The cleansing has begun.
Your meek defense is foolish,
we come from the stars a trillion strong."
Last edited by cptazad at May 25, 2011,
bar 93 is my favorite btw, 9/8 over 4/4+7/8 ****ing brilliant section my friend, kudos
"Our revenge so everlasting sweet,
Enslave your Children, Behead the weak,
Kill every last Man, Woman and Machine
The cleansing has begun.
Your meek defense is foolish,
we come from the stars a trillion strong."
Quote by zakatak9389
^haha thanks for all the feedback guys! I can definitely understand how people would see this as trendy. I try to incorporate more influeneces outside "djent" style bands, such as more post-hardcore or even jazz-fusion elements with ambient touches. But regardless, I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I think I'll repeat that one part like you mentioned burning angel when I get around to recording this. Is there anything of yours you'd like me to check out?

Not at the moment, buddy, but can I treat this as like... Future credit? [as in, whenever I get around to writing something anew, can I nag you to crit?]
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Hey Zak! It has been awhile hasn't it? Glad to see you still composing!

A'ight, gonna get to it...

My favorite parts are definitely the intro melody and the piano melody in "techy". Both of those are fantastic and add a lot to the song... everything was good, but those parts in specific stood out to me the most. Now onto what bothers me:

It all goes so fast. The song itself is no more than 5 minutes, but it goes through so many different sections and melodies, there isn't one that really sticks with you. Yeah, I mentioned the ones above, but I couldn't recall either except MAYBE part of the techy melody. Nothing is really developed enough to me.

This would all be fine it was an intro track where you were going to introduce themes from the rest of the songs on the album, but I don't think that's the case. You could easily extend this song (and make it better) by just developing the melodies more. Like you did in Abiogenesis and all your other "best hits" ( ) where you would have the normal melody, and then it done in Dorian, and then done in a Pentatonic kind of way, and then in Lydian and then finally back to the original.

It's a great song, but it just kind of... exists. Nothing stands out. Too many ideas in too small a space, y'know?

I dub thee: 7.5/10 (just cause it's still badass :hah: )

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1445395
Quote by cptazad
Amazing job on the delay affect/layering the channels, loved it.

I quite agree with this. I've never seen anyone attempt this in a gp file, but you did it well. It sounded like its supposed to. Your tabbing skills are uncanny I mean it.

If you would be so kind, a c4c on the first or second song in my profile (Far Enough Away or Symphony of Crap) would be lovely. They're both quite short as far as proggy stuff goes.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at May 25, 2011,
yea hthat was retarded awesome. props man. the intro just made me want to give up on guitar. congrats on having the first metal thing on here in months that I have thought was more than half way decent.