hello!

Ive been playing electric for about 18 months now... I had an acoustic for about 6 months before that but its all about the electric these days. My playing is like 90/10 electric acoustic.

After learning the open chords and some simple riffs and trick my entire focus has been on barre chords and my god has it been rewarding.

I'm a rock/blues guy mostly, but enjoy other stuff also. Play a Gibson LP Studio.

I know the major/minor pent scales, but admittedly dont practice them enough. Should that be the next 'big' focus of my practicing?

Focusing on barre chords for the last 6 months has really upped my playing to a whole new level. Its been really exciting as I feel like I can play any chord progression anywhere and a lot of the open chords (especially C maj) simply sound better with the barre chord.

Was wondering if there was a typical progression followed that makes sense?
he of tranquil mind
hold on, you own a gibson lp studio after only playing a year and a half???? the next logical step would be for yo to start learning maj/min chords and then 7ths(min, major and dominant) also the pentatonic scales on all positions would be a good idea
Get Carl Verheyen's tuition DVD "Forward Motion" and work on everything he tells you, especially the exercise to do with knowing the scales all over the neck and getting away from 'box' shapes.
Plus, learn all the guitar parts in three songs that you really like, even if you think they're too difficult.
I can tell you what my guitar teacher told me to start doing after barre chords: learn the movable 7th chords. After that, learn chord structure and intervals on the guitar so that you can construct 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, augmented, diminished, whatever. You should also know how to play the A, C, D, and G major scales in 1st position, and from their root notes on the 5th and 6th strings.

Maybe this isn't appropriate for your needs, but, as I said, this is what my guitar teacher has had me do, and I have been playing for a couple months shy of two years.
learn what makes a chord a chord ;-) then draw out the fretboard and play them in a thousand and one different ways. Not only do you learn sooo many chords but you begin to understand the relationship between individual notes and the make-up of chords.
Quote by isaluteyou
learn what makes a chord a chord ;-)

That's what I should have said, and what I meant by "chord construction."
Quote by crohno
hold on, you own a gibson lp studio after only playing a year and a half????

Wut? I don't see that as outlandish...
ok... let me update a little bit.

I know how to do everything you guys mentioned.

When I play with the other musical types I jam with I generally hear the same things.. that I'm really good for how long I have been playing (less than 2 years). I attribute this to two things. One I practice... A lot. The other is I know theory. I took 5(ish) years of piano as a kid, so I understand theory fundamentals. Circle of 5ths, chord variations, creation, scales, modes... much of it is just translating to a new instrument. If there is one thing I understand its that I have such an advantage to someone just picking up music because of these things.

All the things you guys mentioned makes total sense... but for me the focus on guitar is always playing better. Make no mistake... I'm not looking for shortcuts. I'm here to do the work. I guess I'm looking for people to share various things that took their early playing to a new level. I was practicing the pent major/minor scales a lot but found it didnt really improve my playing much. Then when I started really focusing on my barre chords in 3 months I felt like I could play rhythm guitar in a band an not embarrass myself. What a huge step! I can actually walk in my local GC (5 mins from my house, lucky me, not so good on the credit card) and not feel like a first grader on his first day of school.

As for the cat who was surprised I bought a Les Paul...
I'm just curious why? I knew I wanted to play, I had an acoustic for 6 months and was all in. I'm not loaded but $500 seemed like a reasonable starting point for a respectable guitar. When I went to GC I played everything. I wanted something versatile that I could grow with a bit. No matter what I played (poorly) I kept going back to the LP. It was the studio guitar which was perfect because I just wanted good sound. I have played my friend's strats, Ibanez, lots of others and I still love the LP the best (of course I am biased). I spent about $800 on it. More than I planned but the best thing I ever did was drop $700 on the Fender Blues delux tube amp. My god the two fit together like peanut butter and grape jelly.

My only temptation for another guitar is something I can leave with open tuning. Aside from Dead Flowers I never play Stones stuff because Keith is all open tuning. Sway, Can you hear me Knockin... sick sick rock tunes all with the open tuning. Alot of Black Crowes stuff also.

If my Les Paul has one real shortcoming its the tuners. If I leave it tuned down a half step its pretty solid, but anytime I change the tuning I will have to adjust at least 2-3 times during one jam session, and always the next day when I play again.

sorry I got so wordy! I just love playing and can chat about this stuff all day.

Viva UG!
he of tranquil mind
I just finished learning E shaped Major/Minor/7th/m7ths, and A shaped Major, minor, 7th and m7th so i totally understand because i also didn't exactly practice my scales much xp (it's so boring).

I've been playing the guitar 4 months now, today, and i just decided to do what pretty much everyone suggested which is chord construction. I'm starting w/ triads because there's this killer reggae tune by Sir Lennon that i want to learn.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Lennon993
I just finished learning E shaped Major/Minor/7th/m7ths, and A shaped Major, minor, 7th and m7th so i totally understand because i also didn't exactly practice my scales much xp (it's so boring).

I've been playing the guitar 4 months now, today, and i just decided to do what pretty much everyone suggested which is chord construction. I'm starting w/ triads because there's this killer reggae tune by Sir Lennon that i want to learn.
check out last months guitar magazine (with Bob Marley on cover). Great stuff about his band and tours, etc along with some good reggae tabs. Good interviews w/ Junior Marvin, one of his lead guitarists (With a blues background no less)
he of tranquil mind
xD Yeah i'm not really into reggae - i just like that ONE song and the one by Bob Marley that goes "no woman no cry" (but seriously who doesn't like that one?)

Maybe i'll get into it someday
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"